HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and some regaining of old people too.

anecdote:

my cousin and her husband left their small brooklyn apartment like 2 months into covid and moved out to portland for some reason.

they just returned to brooklyn back in septemeber. and they decided to buy a condo this time, so i think they're planning on staying for some time.
Good point....I have noticed that too in my neighborhood (LIC)!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and some regaining of old people too.

anecdote:

my cousin and her husband left their small brooklyn apartment like 2 months into covid and moved out to portland for some reason.

they just returned to brooklyn back in septemeber. and they decided to buy a condo this time, so i think they're planning on staying for some time.
A friend of mine that went away late last spring just texted me that he's apartment hunting in Brooklyn again.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 11:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The city needs to continue moving in the multi-nodal direction, but it shouldn't have trouble supporting more population. But Brooklyn and Queens can easily support hundreds of thousands more residents than live there now.
But then they really won't be Brooklyn and Queens anymore but a more of a dressed down version of Manhattan. These boroughs are already insanely expensive in a lot of areas and throwing in another million will send them off the charts. Perhaps we can dilute the Guidos on Staten Island with a few more people that aren't 'The Situation' clones but the rest of the city is pretty full as it is. Send them to Newark...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 12:22 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
the rest of the city is pretty full as it is. Send them to Newark...
or better yet, send them to detroit, st. louis, cleveland, pittsburgh, and buffalo.

another 1.5M in NYC won't move the needle all that much, but an extra 300K in each of the city propers of those 5 cities above would completely rewrite their scripts.

not that it will ever happen, but an old rustbelt grouch can dream, can't I?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 16, 2021 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
But then they really won't be Brooklyn and Queens anymore but a more of a dressed down version of Manhattan. These boroughs are already insanely expensive in a lot of areas and throwing in another million will send them off the charts. Perhaps we can dilute the Guidos on Staten Island with a few more people that aren't 'The Situation' clones but the rest of the city is pretty full as it is. Send them to Newark...
Brooklyn and Queens have already morphed into Manhattan extensions. But the city is always changing. People get attached to how the city is at a specific point in time, but the truth is that the city is always changing.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 1:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Brooklyn and Queens have already morphed into Manhattan extensions. But the city is always changing. People get attached to how the city is at a specific point in time, but the truth is that the city is always changing.
Brooklyn must be frozen in time of Andrew Dice Clay and the Sweathogs.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 2:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
At 8.8 million now...would you really want that? I think anything more than 10 million and taking into account all the geographic constraints, New York would start to lose quality of living after a while.
Not really, it depends on how you build. Manhattan is very dense, I don't think people that live in Manhattan are suffering. People who want or need more open space tend to live in suburbia, or move to less populated areas. New York is home to millions of people, but it's a city. There are neighborhoods in the boroughs where you wouldn't even know you were in New York City. And that's fine on it's own. But for a city that's still growing, there has to be solutions, and maybe some less dense neighborhoods have to become more dense. I don't think trying to put a lid on the city's growth is a good solution. There was a time, back in the 60's and 70's when the city was losing a lot of people, and it wasn't a good time for the city. A healthy city grows, a smart city finds a way to accommodate that growth.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:30 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not really, it depends on how you build. Manhattan is very dense, I don't think people that live in Manhattan are suffering. People who want or need more open space tend to live in suburbia, or move to less populated areas. New York is home to millions of people, but it's a city. There are neighborhoods in the boroughs where you wouldn't even know you were in New York City. And that's fine on it's own. But for a city that's still growing, there has to be solutions, and maybe some less dense neighborhoods have to become more dense. I don't think trying to put a lid on the city's growth is a good solution. There was a time, back in the 60's and 70's when the city was losing a lot of people, and it wasn't a good time for the city. A healthy city grows, a smart city finds a way to accommodate that growth.
I remember when NY during its rough years in the 80's even though i was a kid. Pretty bad. And even in high school I wasn't allowed to go down there because it was still bad (pre Giuliani era) but now it's booming but Manhattan is built up due to a over a century of development and progress to make it what it is today. We will all be long gone by the time the outer boroughs even approach that level. Staten Island perhaps by the time the sun dies. If the NY is going to reach Asian megacity numbers, it's going to take a while to account for the growing pains.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 5:02 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I think the subway is the limiting factor for future NY growth. While I'm not against more growth in the City, we might as well push much of that growth to the Midwest and smaller towns in the NE. All that shit should be connected by high speed rail and that would provide a large geography for people to live a lifestyle that's different from what currently exists in the Sunbelt.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I think the subway is the limiting factor for future NY growth.
The biggest hinderance to growth in NYC is from the NIMBY groups. Even in the metro area, there must be at least a hundred spots at transit centers along the LIRR, Metro North, and NJ Transit that are prime for intensification, but are held back due to general NIMBYism and outdated zoning from the 60s.

Quote:
While I'm not against more growth in the City, we might as well push much of that growth to the Midwest and smaller towns in the NE.
Strongly disagree with pushing growth to areas where people don't want to live. Let it happen organically. If a particular State or city is doing the right thing and starts to attract people. Great! But I refuse to allow a selfish few trying to protect their so called neighborhood character harm the livelihood for the majority of people. The U.S. planning process needs to be revisited and these sky-high property values may be the catalyst that prevents anyone with a modest income from affording a home may be the catalyst.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 5:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

welp we walked the so-called guinea gangplank and just bought a condo in staten, so doing my part. i already met a couple former clevelanders, a random teen in the park and a neighbor, so like the other boros that doesnt seem to be unusual, but pretty sure i'll be the only hungarian there.

btw the city could easily grow to 10-15M and still be comfortable and functioning, there is plenty more room than people realize to densify, even in manhattan. so no major physical issues with absorbing growth are in sight for quite a long time. of course people issues, like nimbyism and growing and maintaining infrastructure, are another thing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
btw the city could easily grow to 10-15M and still be comfortable and functioning, there is plenty more room than people realize to densify, even in manhattan. so no major physical issues with absorbing growth are in sight for quite a long time. of course people issues, like nimbyism and growing and maintaining infrastructure, are another thing.
Yeah, exactly. There is plenty of room in NYC to hit 10, even 12 million. It will just be a city that's much less Manhattan centered than it has been for most of its history. It's already going in that direction as the city becomes more poly-centric.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. There is plenty of room in NYC to hit 10, even 12 million. It will just be a city that's much less Manhattan centered than it has been for most of its history. It's already going in that direction as the city becomes more poly-centric.
2021 population estimates are out
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...estimates.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:40 PM

To be fair, the yearly estimates had NYC plunging in 2018 and 2019 as well. I don't doubt covid caused a blip (especially since these estimates cover the brunt of the first and second waves), but I am going to take these estimates with an ocean's worth of salt.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
To be fair, the yearly estimates had NYC plunging in 2018 and 2019 as well. I don't doubt covid caused a blip (especially since these estimates cover the brunt of the first and second waves), but I am going to take these estimates with an ocean's worth of salt.
While I agree with you, I'm merely passing on the official data as has been done for years now in this thread.

My theory is that Trump was interfering with the Census estimates to make NY, NJ, IL look worse than what they really were. I'm hoping that interference has ended and the numbers would be a little more accurate. I think the culprit this year is clearly COVID and not a major flaw in the estimate.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
While I agree with you, I'm merely passing on the official data as has been done for years now in this thread.

My theory is that Trump was interfering with the Census estimates to make NY, NJ, IL look worse than what they really were. I'm hoping that interference has ended and the numbers would be a little more accurate. I think the culprit this year is clearly COVID and not a major flaw in the estimate.
I don't think Trump interfered with anything regarding the ACS. They just have a methodology that is better at estimating sprawled out Sun Belt cities versus built out urban cities.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 3:41 PM

Looks like tomorrow we'll find out the official Census estimates for the 5 counties that make up New York plus Richmond County.

Unfortunately, the map released by the Census Bureau in advance of the estimates appears to show there is a drop in population from the official 2020 counts. This is probably pandemic related as people, including myself, have relocated due to the wider availability of WFH.

New thread title soon:
NEW YORK CITY | 2021 Census estimates | 8,???,???

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:45 PM

8,467,513 for the 2021 estimates

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
8,467,513 for the 2021 estimates
How much of a difference is that from the official count in 2020? Oh wait, never mind, it's in the thread title: 8,804,190.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
How much of a difference is that from the official count in 2020? Oh wait, never mind, it's in the thread title: 8,804,190.
To be fair, in addition to the WFH hit which was near its nadir in July 2021, the Census estimates had been rough for NYC. The 2019 estimate was 8,336,817 and dropping 54k from the year before -- over half a million off from the Census.

The estimate methodology iirc is heavily weighted by housing starts and extrapolating the movement questions from the Community Survey, both of which do not scale well to a dense, old-stock city like NYC.

So I do not doubt that WFH dropped NYC's population, but I'm skeptical of a 5% drop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions