HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Tokyo is one of the densest Canadian cities. It is almost LA-level density.
I also am wondering when Tokyo was annexed by Canada.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I am saying Tokyo is nearly as big of LA but with Brooklyn level density and these jokers are trying to tell me about the the small villages and farms.

I'm working with what I found online didn't make the graphic
I think the disagreement is that Tokyo is mostly not Brooklyn-level dense. The city of Tokyo has a density that is less than half of Brooklyn's density.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:24 PM
Never Dell

Tokyo is extremly dense. But much of the basin isn't really Tokyo.

We can't base these things on government districts, which are set up with wildly different standards in different countries.

PS the core prefecture includes most of what you'd normally think of as central Tokyo, plus a lot of lower-density area and even wilderness to the west. But it also omits most of the real, functional greater Tokyo.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 7:35 PM
Never Dell

Wikipedia has a great page that describes the various areas that could be called "Tokyo" inculding maps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Tokyo_Area

One is 621.9 sk with a density nearing 15,000/sk. That would be a Brooklyn density.

Another is the prefecture, with 1,808 sk like I described in my last post.

Others go way bigger from there, including versions of the whole basin. These would be the equivalent of having London go out to the Channel for example.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think the disagreement is that Tokyo is mostly not Brooklyn-level dense. The city of Tokyo has a density that is less than half of Brooklyn's density.
If we pick up the original wards of Tokyo, we have 9,744,534 people living in 628 km² for 15,529 inh./km². That's denser slightly denser than Brooklyn's 14,917 inh./km².

I made an exercise of adding the densest wards of the Prefecture of Tokyo and other neighbouring municipalities. Tokyo fits 16,469,095 people in mere 1,360 km² (smaller than Greater London) for a 12,110 inh./km² (higher than New York City).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
If we pick up the original wards of Tokyo, we have 9,744,534 people living in 628 km² for 15,529 inh./km². That's denser slightly denser than Brooklyn's 14,917 inh./km².

I made an exercise of adding the densest wards of the Prefecture of Tokyo and other neighbouring municipalities. Tokyo fits 16,469,095 people in mere 1,360 km² (smaller than Greater London) for a 12,110 inh./km² (higher than New York City).
Perhaps, but the claim was that metro Tokyo sprawls out at Brooklyn level density. Brooklyn is as dense as the densest wards in Tokyo.

I think people may have a slight misconception of how densely populated Brooklyn actually is. It would've been less controversial to compare metro Tokyo to Queens, which is still very dense, but not as dense as Brooklyn.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 10:50 PM

Lmao its hairsplitting but I guess I am dealing with a bunch of hyperactive weirdos with an extremely narrow and obsessive focus on urbanism.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Lmao its hairsplitting but I guess I am dealing with a bunch of hyperactive weirdos with an extremely narrow and obsessive focus on urbanism.
I guess all cities look the same to a country mouse.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:52 AM

The next person who feels the need to chime in on the exact level of density or farmland in suburban Tokyo needs therapy. Its been a few pages already, let it go. Does every thread need to get sidetracked on some random argument between (usually 2) people on some semantic technicality?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Perhaps, but the claim was that metro Tokyo sprawls out at Brooklyn level density. Brooklyn is as dense as the densest wards in Tokyo.

I think people may have a slight misconception of how densely populated Brooklyn actually is. It would've been less controversial to compare metro Tokyo to Queens, which is still very dense, but not as dense as Brooklyn.
Yep, he's moving goalposts:

Quote:
Tokyo Sprawls out nearly a big as greater LA, but its because its on the largest piece of flat land in the islands, its also home to like 40 million people so that sprawl is dense but it NEVER ENDS

Tokyo feels like Brooklyn but a Brooklyn as big as the LA basin.

[/IMG]
^^ The language in bold is what's being debated. Nobody is saying that Tokyo "city" proper (23 special wards) isn't hyper-dense. They're saying Tokyo is not Brooklyn as big as the LA basin. 39,000 people per square miles (Brooklyn) x 1,900 square miles (LA basin) = 74,100,000 people.

Tokyo is 1/2 that within its urban area. Very impressive. But not 1,900 square miles of Brooklyn.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The next person who feels the need to chime in on the exact level of density or farmland in suburban Tokyo needs therapy. Its been a few pages already, let it go. Does every thread need to get sidetracked on some random argument between (usually 2) people on some semantic technicality?
Making a post about the other posters isn't getting the thread back on topic, because getting even more off-topic is not going to convince the other posters who were getting off-topic to get back on topic. It will just cause someone to respond to your off-topic post with another even more off-topic post and thus get the thread even more sidetracked.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 4:27 AM

Goddamn you people must be autistic lmao.

I’m sorry that Tokyo isn’t exactly as dense as Brooklyn or as big as LA depending on how you want to count it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:28 PM

None of this matters. "suburban" Tokyo has more urban life than most American central cities.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
None of this matters. "suburban" Tokyo has more urban life than most American central cities.
Agreed. I probably just triggered New Yorkers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions