HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phl10 View Post
i will trust your taste but it seems that we have plenty of chain fried chicken places already. Do we need another?
yes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I will trust your taste but it seems that we have plenty of chain fried chicken places already. Do we need another?
Cane's is truly out of this world. It fills the market between Chick Fil A and Popeyes, but is better than both.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:01 PM

Did they change the design on this one? Thought it was supposed to look like this
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/05/cons...liberties.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction Underway At The Beverly at 1102 Germantown Ave In Northern Liberties

Rendering:

Current progress:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/10/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:18 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 700 Block View Post
Did they change the design on this one? Thought it was supposed to look like this
I feel like Philly Yimby is confusing developments. Stamm Development broke ground on it only a few months ago, and from their Instagram, they were pouring the foundation on 9/12/21.

But I sure hope the design didn't change, I was excited for this one.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 700 Block View Post
Classic PhillyYIMBY.

The building shown in that article is 1102 2nd. I’m unsure of what this development is called but it isn’t the Beverly, which is 1102 Germantown, and as far as atlas shows, is still six stories and is likely still that sharp looking design you originally linked to. In fact, I’m pretty sure it’s on the left in that last photo.

You’d think PhillyYIMBY would, you know, be on top of this stuff…

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I feel like Philly Yimby is confusing developments. Stamm Development broke ground on it only a few months ago, and from their Instagram, they were pouring the foundation on 9/12/21.

But I sure hope the design didn't change, I was excited for this one.
Honestly tho who can even see it with the Mogadishu wire setup there.

Might as well be a cardboard box.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Honestly tho who can even see it with the Mogadishu wire setup there.

Might as well be a cardboard box.
What are they digging below grade in those photos? Could it be what we’ve dreamed of for so long?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
What are they digging below grade in those photos? Could it be what we’ve dreamed of for so long?
When hell hath freeze over.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I know of one planned in Bucks, do you know where else in the city they plan on going?
The only other one I know in the city is on Temple's campus but I'm sure there will be more to come.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:46 AM

Thanks McGrath. Glad to hear the flat iron is still happening. I

Quote:
Classic PhillyYIMBY.

The building shown in that article is 1102 2nd. I’m unsure of what this development is called but it isn’t the Beverly, which is 1102 Germantown, and as far as atlas shows, is still six stories and is likely still that sharp looking design you originally linked to. In fact, I’m pretty sure it’s on the left in that last photo.

You’d think PhillyYIMBY would, you know, be on top of this stuff…

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:56 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Cane's is truly out of this world. It fills the market between Chick Fil A and Popeyes, but is better than both.
Yea ok buddy Chicken better then Popeyes ????

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Yea ok buddy Chicken better then Popeyes ????
I see somebody's gonna be there on opening day to sort things out.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
When hell hath freeze over.
How great would it have been if they had included about 50 billion in the infrastructure bill to start the ball rolling with nationwide utility burial? Talk about good politics if you could have citizens nationwide, rural suburban urban, see ugly power lines dissappear over a few days time. That is exactly the kind of taxpayer benefit that people can actually see and feel and would go a long way in creating good will towards the governement that made it happen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:46 PM

Gawd. The amount of construction going on right now on that corner is dizzying.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
How great would it have been if they had included about 50 billion in the infrastructure bill to start the ball rolling with nationwide utility burial? Talk about good politics if you could have citizens nationwide, rural suburban urban, see ugly power lines dissappear over a few days time. That is exactly the kind of taxpayer benefit that people can actually see and feel and would go a long way in creating good will towards the governement that made it happen.
While we agree on the aesthetic value of burying utility lines, I’m not sure that equates with taxpayer willingness to subsidize it. Another argument is that burying the lines reduces outages from weather and stray vehicles. Again, is that enough to sway taxpayers who may feel that the utilities are cheapskates who have calculated that the cost of burying lines is less attractive than the cost of repair crews and our inconvenience?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
While we agree on the aesthetic value of burying utility lines, I’m not sure that equates with taxpayer willingness to subsidize it. Another argument is that burying the lines reduces outages from weather and stray vehicles. Again, is that enough to sway taxpayers who may feel that the utilities are cheapskates who have calculated that the cost of burying lines is less attractive than the cost of repair crews and our inconvenience?
I agree. The city should make it a requirement for developments with a certain amount of street frontage and also coordinate with other agencies when the street will be torn up otherwise to replace gas lines, etc.

Otherwise it should be a ratepayer subsidy. Like if your lines are buried on a block, all the rate payers pay a surcharge of whatever, $5, $10 a month until the cost of the work is paid off.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:30 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
I see somebody's gonna be there on opening day to sort things out.

When I looked at their website the other day the pictures of the food looked kinds of eh.

However, I won't just the food based on some cute photoshoot lineup.

As Brown said ill be there to check them out.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
I agree. The city should make it a requirement for developments with a certain amount of street frontage and also coordinate with other agencies when the street will be torn up otherwise to replace gas lines, etc.

Otherwise it should be a ratepayer subsidy. Like if your lines are buried on a block, all the rate payers pay a surcharge of whatever, $5, $10 a month until the cost of the work is paid off.
Okay that sounds reasonable, but I don't see such a path as transitioning quick enough. The ratepayer path could take decades all the while the utility co's would continue to repair, replace and install overhead. What may be needed is a split federal incentive investment/ratepayer subsidy that basically says to utility co's that the federal government, in the interest of energy grid modernization, will contribute x % amount towards burial and the balance offered to ratepayers at a much lower $ number. What those numbers would be I cannot say.

As to your first point regarding new construction that should be so obvious I have trouble coming to terms with why its not a requirement. It's insanity. I'd also love to see the electrical (and gas) equipment industry develop in coordination with architects and/or urban cities a compact utility meter cluster box or panel of some sort that could either be recessed or hidden in some other manner on the lower part of streetfacing facades. The defiling of the street and the facades of these buildings by conduits and utility meters is out of this world and needs to be addressed.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:59 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:

Dangerous argument there, that's what toll roads were supposed to be as well.

Tolls were supposed to stay on the road until the road was paid off, as we see that did not happen.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Dangerous argument there, that's what toll roads were supposed to be as well.

Tolls were supposed to stay on the road until the road was paid off, as we see that did not happen.
Yeah sure, but we have so much data and technology it could be adopted quite easily. Just like how the parking permit situation works. If X percent of property owners on your street agree to permit the block, the city does it.

Then, PECO schedules the work and all the rate payers on the block pay the surcharge for a pre-defined period of time. The city could also tack on it's work and do other utility repair and replacement at the same time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development