HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 5:19 PM

Come on man, keep up!

Yes, UofA is putting up the Arizona Cancer Center. The building will be located near the northeast corner of the on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus. Its a 250,000 sq ft building with a $142 Million budget.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 6:49 PM

Has anyone seen the design of this thing? Opinions?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 6:52 PM

Of which thing? The Cancer Center or the building going up now?

The Cancer Center design is not done, that's the the phase of the development they are working on now.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Of which thing? The Cancer Center or the building going up now?

The Cancer Center design is not done, that's the the phase of the development they are working on now.

Wait I am confused. We have two building coming up soon. I just thought we were getting the cancer center. What building it coming up now with the crane and what does it look like?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 7:25 PM

Yes, there are two separate buildings.

The one already under construction with the crane going up is the Health Sciences Education Building (HSEB). Here are some renderings...

The second building will go near the NE corner of the campus. There are no design renderings yet. Construction on that is scheduled to start Feb. 2012.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 7:58 PM

To add to the confusion a bit...there is yet a third building coming to the Biomedical campus, though it seems to be quite small and I'm surprised that it is it's own building and not incorporated into a larger one...

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/projects/...roject=10-8988

Quote:
VIVARIUM PHASE I - PHOENIX
Description: The new facility, funded from a Federal Stimulus grant awarded by the National Institute of Health (NIH), is essential for the advancement of the biomedical research at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC). The Vivarium and research core will support research activities currently being performed at the first Arizona Biomedical Collaborative (ABC1) building.

Size: 22,000 sq ft
Construction Schedule: 02/2011 - 03/2013

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 8:06 PM

But that second building will ruin the nice new parking lot. Someone should stand up to save that lot!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=HX_Guy;5048948]To add to the confusion a bit...there is yet a third building coming to the Biomedical campus, though it seems to be quite small and I'm surprised that it is it's own building and not incorporated into a larger one...

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/projects/...roject=10-8988[/QUOTE

I'm not sure what a Vivarium is, but I'm sure you have to be vivacious to work there. Snap! Thank you, I'm here all week...

Actually, I looked it up. It's where they keep animals and/or plants. Can't be good.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 12:26 AM
BANNED

I'm not sure what a Vivarium is, but I'm sure you have to be vivacious to work there. Snap! Thank you, I'm here all week...

Actually, I looked it up. It's where they keep animals and/or plants. Can't be good.

Last edited by dtnphx; Nov 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:46 PM
BANNED

well the crane was going up but after they delivered that one section, everything seems to have stopped. No more digging, drilling, craning, or anything. I wonder if there is a permitting holdup.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:48 PM

Some height stuff from the FAA...

The tower crane for the new building currently under construction will be 200' tall. The building itself will be 6 floors and 120' in height.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 3:23 PM
BANNED

Crane is up. Happened at like 5:30am

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 3:27 PM

Coolness. Nice to see progress.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 12:25 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Some more details on the Cancer Center project...

Quote:
Phoenix getting University of Arizona cancer center

2 comments by Emily Gersema - Dec. 17, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Phoenix officials are about to begin working on a 60-year lease agreement for the University of Arizona to build and open an Arizona Cancer Center downtown.

The City Council on Wednesday directed City Manager David Cavazos to start writing the lease agreement.

The future site of the center is at Fillmore and Seventh streets.

The lot is part of the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, which is home to various research organizations, such as Translational Genomics Research Institute and the UA College of Medicine-Phoenix.

According to a city staff report, Phoenix will lease the property on the northwestern corner of Fillmore and Seventh streets to the Arizona Board of Regents for $45 per square foot over 60 years.

The annual payment would be about $50,932 per year, providing a total of $3 million to the city for the duration of the lease.

However, the Arizona Cancer Center would not have to pay rent for the first 10 years. The city proposes to wait and recapture those deferred rent payments in the final 20 years of the lease.

After the lease expired, the city would give the land to the Board of Regents.

The board, which oversees the three state universities, is expected sometime early next year to give UA approval to build the new cancer-research center.

The Arizona Cancer Center is a UA research institution based in Tucson.

Officials plan to build and open the second center in the next few years.

Preliminary plans include building a six-story, 250,000-square-foot building.

The center would work in cooperation with the UA Medical School in Phoenix and Valley hospitals.

It is expected to employ up to 600 people.

The Phoenix Biomedical Campus covers 28 acres downtown.

City staff is working with the Board of Regents on an intergovernmental agreement that would enable the campus to expand beyond that.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz18bgtAnce

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:35 AM

Ah...sorry, here is the correct thread i meant to post my comment about the Civic Space Park and the awesome growth of its trees!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:24 PM

So in today's post over at Blooming Rock Taz Loomans interviewed the architect responsible for the conversion of the old Post Office to the ASU Student Center. I asked in the comments what the timeline of that project is and apparently its supposed to be open in Fall 2012 which seems like forever away.

I wasn't sure if we had heard that firm date yet, so I thought I'd post it. I'm really looking forward to it, I think a student union/center will really be great for the park.

http://bloomingrock.com/?p=2301

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Students give input on future downtown SRC
By Connor Radnovich, On Monday, May 2nd, 2011 |

Downtown students met with architects and ASU officials Friday to discuss the design of a student recreation complex to be built on the Downtown campus. (Katie Jo Mykleseth/DD)
Downtown students met with architects and ASU officials Friday to discuss the design of a student recreation complex to be built on the Downtown campus.

The $19.5 million building will be constructed directly next to the YMCA, less than a quarter mile from Taylor Place, where the parking lot owned by the YMCA is currently located.

Architecture firms SASAKI and Gabor Lorant Architects Inc. are working together to design the Downtown SRC building and will be using student input throughout the design process.

SASAKI is nationally and internationally known for designing facilities on university and college campuses, and has already worked on several projects in Arizona.

GLA is a local firm that has previously worked on projects for the Tempe campus, including renovations to some W.P. Carey School of Business buildings.

What makes the project on the Downtown campus unique is the speed by which the building will be constructed.

ASU project manager Timothy Keneipp said they want to be breaking ground by January 2012 and have the project completed by summer 2013.

This puts the opening of the center less than 15 months away. Keneipp said a typical project of this size usually takes about 26 months to complete from conceptualization to opening.

“It is possible, it’s just very difficult,” Keneipp said. “To anybody who likes a challenge, it’s fun.”

The two architecture firms were chosen less than a month ago, and a design is expected to be complete in about six weeks.

Keneipp said the entire design phase must be complete by Oct. 1 in order to ensure passage through various governing bodies, including the Arizona Board of Regents and City of Phoenix.

While the specifics of the complex design are not finished, there will likely be various multi-purpose gyms, locker rooms, exercise areas and an outdoor pool.

Michael Coakley, executive director of University Housing, said this project, as well as the $4.7 million renovation to the post office, could be “transformational for the Downtown campus.”

Funding for the SRC, as well as the renovations to the post office, came from the facilities fee that was implemented two years ago. The fee generated $110 million and that money was distributed to each campus to be used for various programs as decided by the specific campus.

Approximately $20 million was appropriated to each campus, however $24.2 went to the Downtown campus.

The other campuses, Keneipp said, are using their money for similar SRC projects.

Member of the facilities fee board Jessica Abercrombie said that, on the Downtown campus, there was a “steering committee” to decide where the facility fee money would be used. This committee was comprised of students from various organizations who asked their constituents what they wanted on the Downtown campus, in a non-academic fashion.

Abercrombie said students overwhelmingly wanted an SRC building and a “place to hang out.”

“We’re really fortunate as students to determine where the funding is going,” Abercrombie said.
This is really confusing. Whats wrong with the YMCA for ASUs needs? That seemed like the sort of partnership with a Downtown organization that ASU should be trying to do more of, not less.

This SRC will go on the YMCA parking lot the article says which is a bit confusing. Do they mean the lot to the South of the Y? Or the lot West of the Y abutting 2nd Ave? If that parking lot is owned by the Y, I'm confused as to why they'd be letting ASU build a facility that competes with them on it. Maybe ASU & the Y's partnership will continue and this facility will just be sort of an expansion to the existing facilities.

Still it seems like $20M+ could've been spent on more pressing needs. Shouldn't the Downtown Campus of a University have you know...a library? I'm no expert but that seems to be the #1 thing ASU Downtown is missing.

Either way I hope this building is built in a thoughtful manner and keeps the possibility of the Taylor Pedestrian Mall West of 1st Ave alive. As it outlined in the Urban Form plan there needs to be a East-West Pedestrian path between Van Buren and Fillmore between 7th Ave and 1st Ave.

To me the most sensible place to start a path/mall like that is directly south of the Y, using the crosswalk there to connect to the park. Like so:

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 6:56 PM

Totally weird... for those of you that don't know, the downtown Y is relatively newly renovated and there is some sort of partnership between ASU and the Y ("free" membership for students or something). Why would another gym facility be needed?

1. Couldn't they incorporate a new SRC and facilities into a mixed-use building on the old Ramada Inn lot or another one of the ASU lots? Seems like adding 2 or 3 stories as part of a big mixed-use building would be more appropriate use of money and land, and would integrate downtown ASU facilities better for students. Law school or classrooms + library + offices + SRC in a singular building would be a good idea, IMO. It's supposedly an urban campus, start combining things into mixed-use buildings. If you put a single building for an SRC here, one for a journalism school there, dorms there, a nursing school building here, aren't you just creating a typical "suburban" campus and using up land unnecessarily?

2. what/how would the existing YMCA parking be accomodated during construction? The lot immediately south of the YMCA building is owned privately, so I'm assuming this thing would be built "behind" or immediately west of the YMCA.

3. What about the old plans for adding apartment buildings behind the YMCA? Or was that planned on the lots north of the exisiting YMCA parking lot behind the main building?

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 7:58 PM

I've never been inside the YMCA but isn't it just a gym? I take this SRC to be a lot more than a gym, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest