HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:19 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
This pretty much describes the type of experience I try to seek in any city I visit... to get some non-workday local flavor, as well as learn some hands-on history... and get an early buzz. It's cool that St. Louis has that creole influence way up the river.
i’m not sure how the influences flowed over time but at first the people actually came DOWN to st. louis and spoke something closer to what you’d hear in montreal - montreal being where wealthy people sent their children for education.

later of course the trade connections to new orleans became overwhelming - montreal was forgotten.

its been so long since ive been to pittsburgh but i sort of did the same thing. im open for suggestions.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 2:27 PM

In Phoenix it's hike to the top of Camelback Mountain. Not recommended for everyone (out of shape, weak, etc). It's a fairly challenging hike to the top, but once there you get a 360 degree view of the entire city and metro area, plus all of the mountains nearby and beyond.

It's an approx. 3 mile round trip hike with nearly 1,600 feet of elevation gain.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 3:09 PM
somewhere in-between

I've been to Camelback! (but not all the way up). My sister's husband proposed there.

For Kalamazoo, most would probably say it has to be a visit to Bell's Brewery - both the downtown facility / Eccentric Café as well as a tour of their main bottling & distribution facility down the road in Comstock. I haven't done the Comstock tour myself, but we have done the downtown tour and it is pretty neat with lots of tastings along the way. For the less beer-centric, the Gilmore Car Museum and the Air Zoo Aerospace Museum are both well worth the admission. Technically, both of these are outside the city limits (Gilmore is in Hickory Corners, Air Zoo is in Portage). Zooming out further, my favorite recommendation / day trip is any number of pristine beaches along Lake Michigan. Warren Dunes, Van Buren State Park, South Haven beaches - all are great.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:32 PM
E pluribus unum

I'm too much of a fatass to make it up Camelback, so I've always taken the path of least resistance by driving up to Dobbins Lookout on South Mountain.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions