HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 4:37 PM

Here's the shipping container project proposed for Broadway/5th. Yes, there's the perspective that anything is better than a vacant lot and/or building. But man, in the heart of downtown? Its the same issue with the Flinn...an apartment complex. I'm not a big fan of this.

Shipping container venue proposed for downtown

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 8:11 AM

Thanks for the info!
I’m all about more restaurants and bars but what a waste of available land in the heart of DT when it was supposed to be something so much more impressive!

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 2:00 PM

Stupid "trendy" project that nobody will think was a good idea in 30 years.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 10:44 PM

Ugly and in the wrong area. I seriously would rather have a gas station/EV charging station on that corner. People do still drive and if you make downtown a livable area full of people you're still going to have vehicles that need gas or charging.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaRealtor2021 View Post
Did anybody catch the full RN meeting today? I only caught the last tail end of it like 10 minutes about the container Park and the cadence getting approved
According to Inside Tucson Business, RN approved money towards Stiteler's restaurant, hotel, and apartment project on 6th. As previously mentioned, the first phase will include the restaurant, beer garden, pickleball, and parking. The second and third phase "contemplate" a 10-story hotel and 15-story apartment building.

So basically pickleball and parking then.

If they do proceed with the hotel and apartments, I hope they are not big, boring, beige towers like were planned for Opus next door.

Rendering of the refurbished Corbett block from ITB:

https://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com...08f357bca.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 1:19 AM

Flint Development spends $21 million on property for Arizona industrial buildings

Work is to begin immediately on two buildings totaling almost 1 million square feet. Flint will build the structures on a spec basis, or without a tenant already signed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...ndustrial.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:18 AM

TIA announces new non-stop to London.

Ok, so it's not THE London. But TUS will be Flair's first-ever destination from London, ON (YXU), and TIA's sixth Canadian destination this winter. And Tucson got some decent local press up there, with shots of downtown and Fourth Avenue along with the usual clips of cactus, golf, and biking.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/flair-airl...ndon-1.5945485

Hopefully the fact that Flair is adding cities at this point means that their other flights are showing potential.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
TIA announces new non-stop to London.

Ok, so it's not THE London. But TUS will be Flair's first-ever destination from London, ON (YXU), and TIA's sixth Canadian destination this winter. And Tucson got some decent local press up there, with shots of downtown and Fourth Avenue along with the usual clips of cactus, golf, and biking.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/flair-airl...ndon-1.5945485

Hopefully the fact that Flair is adding cities at this point means that their other flights are showing potential.
You got me with that title lol
Man this is great I hope it is successful even the agent in the news piece was super surprise about Tucson being the airlines first destination from this airport.

Now if we could only attract and sustain some good domestic routes and maybe a few to Mexico

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
You got me with that title lol
Man this is great I hope it is successful even the agent in the news piece was super surprise about Tucson being the airlines first destination from this airport.

Now if we could only attract and sustain some good domestic routes and maybe a few to Mexico
It wont survive. I'm surprised they didn't start with Vegas or Orlando as initial desitnations. Far more popular than Tucson. Just like we lost a simple direct flight on Avelo Air from Tucson to Hollywood. That lasted a month. All Tucson can offer are tacos and trails. Most will want a little entertainment thrown into the mix which Tucson doesn't provide.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
It wont survive. I'm surprised they didn't start with Vegas or Orlando as initial desitnations. Far more popular than Tucson. Just like we lost a simple direct flight on Avelo Air from Tucson to Hollywood. That lasted a month. All Tucson can offer are tacos and trails. Most will want a little entertainment thrown into the mix which Tucson doesn't provide.
Tucson has a flair (pun intended) for attracting start up airlines flying to obscure locations. They don't usually last too long. Allegiant to Bellingham, WA and Provo, UT lasted a couple months. Allegiant couldn't even make two flights a week to Las Vegas work. Via Airlines to Austin (I don't think that one lasted a month), Avelo to Burbank, maybe lasted one month.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Absolutely true one can hope though.
If I remember correctly this is a multi year deal made with the airline for TIA to be there winter hub. so while all these smaller cities may not work I’m hoping Edmonton will & maybe a Toronto and Vancouver winter seasonal flight works out.

Tucson really needs to learn to support our local airport and not take the drive up to Phoenix it’s so stupid that we do that we lose about 1 million passengers a year which in essence causes us to miss out on better nonstops.

Also go check out the Buckmaster show, yesterday Buckmaster had Dave Hatfield from Tucson Airport authority explaining all the current news about the Canadian flaire routes and why we’re not getting a Mexican flight anytime soon. Also he updated us on some of the domestic routes that have seen some cuts this year. However he didn’t add anything about future new nonstop routes. hopefully better news in September on the next quarterly report.

Last edited by ZonaRealtor2021; Jun 17, 2022 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Absolutely true one can hope though.
If I remember correctly this is a multi year deal made with the airline for TIA to be there winter hub. so while all these smaller cities may not work I’m hoping Edmonton will & maybe a Toronto and Vancouver winter seasonal flight works out.

Tucson really needs to learn to support our local airport and not take the drive up to Phoenix it’s so stupid that we do that we lose about 1 million passengers a year which in essence causes us to miss out on better nonstops.

Also go check out the Buckmaster show, yesterday Buckmaster had Dave Hatfield from Tucson Airport authority explaining all the current news about the Canadian flaire routes and why we’re not getting a Mexican flight anytime soon. Also he updated us on some of the domestic routes that have seen some cuts this year. However he didn’t add anything about future new nonstop routes. hopefully better news in September on the next quarterly report.
I previously listened to the Buckmaster show too. I just dont think Tucson is mobile enough or wealthy enough for people to be flying all over. Phx is 4x as big as we are and 100x more businesses. Tucson will always be a quick vacation town or a town where you visit your parents. Unless we can change the things offered here...or get some more younger, youthful business or entertainment...there will never be enough ridership to sustain them.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I previously listened to the Buckmaster show too. I just dont think Tucson is mobile enough or wealthy enough for people to be flying all over. Phx is 4x as big as we are and 100x more businesses. Tucson will always be a quick vacation town or a town where you visit your parents. Unless we can change the things offered here...or get some more younger, youthful business or entertainment...there will never be enough ridership to sustain them.
I took a new position with my job recently that has me traveling weekly. I have been mainly using American and I will say that my weekly flights from Tucson to Dallas (then elsewhere) and back from Dallas are usually booked solid - one or two extra seats if any. This includes flights early morning, mid morning, afternoon, and evening. Also flown SW through (or to & from) Denver and those were full too.

That being said, after 13 and a half years here I'm moving back to the midwest and will become one of those people who only come back to visit in-laws. I love Tucson but it's time to move back home.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I took a new position with my job recently that has me traveling weekly. I have been mainly using American and I will say that my weekly flights from Tucson to Dallas (then elsewhere) and back from Dallas are usually booked solid - one or two extra seats if any. This includes flights early morning, mid morning, afternoon, and evening. Also flown SW through (or to & from) Denver and those were full too.

That being said, after 13 and a half years here I'm moving back to the midwest and will become one of those people who only come back to visit in-laws. I love Tucson but it's time to move back home.
Tucson is a transitory city. I dont think there is enough opportunity for people to stay. I'll admit. I'm a native and as soon as I graduated college I left. But family/parent health issues had me return. But honestly, I dont know for how long. Once they're gone I'm not sure there is enough to keep me here. Especially now that home prices are so high. I'd love to own my own place but I cant see spending 300-400k now as a median home price in Tucson. Good luck to your midwest hometown.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:

Good luck on your move back to your hometown. I travel as well for work and flights are usually full coming into and out of TIA. I'm a Tucson native so this will always be home and I'm committed to advocating and supporting Tucson whether it be from afar or when I'm in town. I plan on being here forever as my family paid off our house and I want to keep it!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:46 PM

Reid Park Zoo Expansion

The Reid Park Zoo expansion phase one "Pathway to Asia" design is finalizing by the end of June according to the Zoo's blog site. As you know, after community input, the Zoo will be expanding into the current parking lot and east portion of the Zoo instead of the SW portion where duck pond 1 sits. Construction of the new parking lot will commence first and "The parking lot would be an early delivery item with construction to start in February 2023 and completion in July 2023. Pathway to Asia would be complete in April 2025."

https://reidparkzoo.org/future/what-...-at-reid-park/
https://reidparkzoo.org/future/parking-lot/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:

Well congratulations on moving back home Tucson will definitely miss you and so with this thread looking forward to your commentary the next time you come back into town and you notice the differences good or bad within the city.

What will you miss the most about Tucson?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 2:39 AM

Quote:
What will you miss the most about Tucson?
I had to leave Tucson last back in 2007. I visit every few years and I can answer this question quite emphatically: the real deal Sonoran mexican food!!!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
I had to leave Tucson last back in 2007. I visit every few years and I can answer this question quite emphatically: the real deal Sonoran mexican food!!!
The warm weather in winter and of course the real Sonoran Mexican food.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:50 PM

Ugly But Honest Pizza

Ugly but Honest Pizza in the 5 Points Neighborhood concept.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest