HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:57 PM

High Street sells for $172 million

I'm curious about the High Street comment as well.

While on the topic, it was recently sold as well.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/b...r-172-million/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:37 PM

I would love to live downtown but it’s not affordable. I see more kids (probably ASU students) downtown than anyone else. We have one the most ugliest skylines. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the new projects but none of them to me look appealing to me. There’s no personality to these projects. I believe the biggest issue with downtown is the image. Downtown Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale have way more personality to their new projects than downtown Phoenix. I’m really not trying to bash the City of Phoenix but they can do so much better.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 7:31 PM
Skyriser

Literally nobody who scouts office cares about the skyline or ambivalent concepts like "image."

The center of business in the valley has been moving east for over 30 years, it started with the 44th St developments in the late 1980s. On top of that, office generally has to be near the C-suite (North Scottsdale), younger educated workers (Tempe), or upper middle-class workers with families (Gilbert/Chandler). There's nothing Phoenix can do to market itself better there when local schools still suck and all the higher-ed eggs are in the ASU branch campus basket. It doesn't help that a lot of the office space downtown and midtown are in deep need of renovations and better parking arrangements.

Phoenix is still the entertainment destination for the valley and is doing fine attracting startups that prefer class B space and tech back offices that can get Class A space at B/C rates compared to the coast. Biomed and health is doing fine as well. The downtown submarket is obviously going through growing pains with the pandemic emptying out offices and the long-time financial industry deciding it was easier to move than renovate. It's not going to stay that way forever.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
downtown having a grocery store with potentially another on the way
Dude, what? Spill it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
I would love to live downtown but it’s not affordable. I see more kids (probably ASU students) downtown than anyone else. We have one the most ugliest skylines. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the new projects but none of them to me look appealing to me. There’s no personality to these projects. I believe the biggest issue with downtown is the image. Downtown Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale have way more personality to their new projects than downtown Phoenix. I’m really not trying to bash the City of Phoenix but they can do so much better.
I live downtown and I love it. I don't notice the skyline because why bother when you're surrounded by mountains in every direction? The views are gorgeous, particularly if you live in one of the downtown high rises.

You're not going to find a better pizza than Pizzeria Bianco, and one of the best restaurants in the area is a hidden gem called Superstition Meadery. If you haven't sampled mead before, get a flight. Not only will you find something you love, you'll probably love every pour on the flight. There also isn't a bad dish on their menu. It easily has the best quality food in downtown other than Pizzeria Bianco.

I also love that I do not have to drive anywhere. This is where it becomes affordable. I can go a month without driving a car. Everything I need is walking distance. If I'm looking for entertainment, there's no shortage of concert venues within a few blocks radius, and 2 major sports venues.

You're missing out. Move downtown.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 9:56 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
Dude, what? Spill it.
I think grocery has been speculated on almost all of the developing towers near Central between Van Buren and McDowell.

I believe Central/McDowell is the latest but there's been nothing confirmed or even rumored anywhere.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think grocery has been speculated on almost all of the developing towers near Central between Van Buren and McDowell.

I believe Central/McDowell is the latest but there's been nothing confirmed or even rumored anywhere.
I remember back during the last boom of 05/06 the parcel where The Muse is now was suppose to be 3 towers with a Whole Foods at its base.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:

Yes, just speculation. However, I do think there is a large possibility that the proposed tower at McDowell and Central will include either a grocer or some other big box retail. I believe this because of the success of Fry's on Block 23 and it's very bustling most of the time. With the amount of residents gained in downtown since Fry's opening and many more residents on the way, the area can handle another grocer. I would like to see a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's at this location.

Plus, the fact finding I received does show a large enough retail pad. It's early to assume they will for sure include the pad. But if they do build as shown, I think they would most likely have a tenant already lined up.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, just speculation. However, I do think there is a large possibility that the proposed tower at McDowell and Central will include either a grocer or some other big box retail. I believe this because of the success of Fry's on Block 23 and it's very bustling most of the time. With the amount of residents gained in downtown since Fry's opening and many more residents on the way, the area can handle another grocer. I would like to see a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's at this location.

Plus, the fact finding I received does show a large enough retail pad. It's early to assume they will for sure include the pad. But if they do build as shown, I think they would most likely have a tenant already lined up.
If one of the new towers in the 1st St area near McKinley or Fillmore area could put a Trader Joe's in the first floor it would absolutely crush I think. If you live in the Roosevelt/Fillmore district, the Fry's is still a long walk or a long wait on the train. Plus the TJ's market serves a different need.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
...and one of the best restaurants in the area is a hidden gem called Superstition Meadery. If you haven't sampled mead before, get a flight. Not only will you find something you love, you'll probably love every pour on the flight. There also isn't a bad dish on their menu. It easily has the best quality food in downtown other than Pizzeria Bianco.
Good to hear the positive feedback on SM. Jeff, the owner, is a friend and former co-worker of mine. A hard-working dude who deserves all the success he's strived for.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 5:44 PM
Modulator

2023 World Baseball Classic Coming to Chase Field

Phoenix to host Pool C in the first round of the 2023 World Baseball Classic at Chase Field.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/wo...wntown-phoenix

P.S. Medistar...it's not too late to add the hotel portion back on!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 12:09 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Phoenix to host Pool C in the first round of the 2023 World Baseball Classic at Chase Field.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/wo...wntown-phoenix

P.S. Medistar...it's not too late to add the hotel portion back on!

The qualifiers will be played in Tucson at Kino Veterans Stadium. This is supposed to happen in September. Good to see baseball presence throughout Arizona.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:18 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 11:39 PM
Skyriser

Wild that every time I consider that this thread might have peaked, there's yet another stadium.

Mangat Group plans to build 20,000-seat cricket stadium in Buckeye

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I can’t believe the Coyotes are really going to play there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I can’t believe the Coyotes are really going to play there.
A professional hockey team will be playing their games in a medium sized chest freezer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Wild that every time I consider that this thread might have peaked, there's yet another stadium.

Mangat Group plans to build 20,000-seat cricket stadium in Buckeye
Is Cricket really growing in popularity in the States? This seems insane to me but it could be one of my blind spots.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
A professional hockey team will be playing their games in a medium sized chest freezer.
Lmao. And yet...it really makes me want to go.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Lmao. And yet...it really makes me want to go.
Going to be the best atmosphere in the Valley for a major sporting event

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:46 PM

Benefits ASU

[QUOTE=MiEncanto;9686163]A professional hockey team will be playing their games in a medium sized chest freezer.[/QUOTE

Who cares? It benefits ASU as they get a free 20 million dollar upgraded NHL grade locker rooms and workout center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest