HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 4:32 PM

I don't get the complaints about this one. It's far from an "econo-box" from both a land-use and design perspective. Should turn out very elegant.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 5:04 PM
BANNED

meh, glad the whole megadevelopment is starting, but wake me up when the taller towers start construction or the 606/riverwalk extension starts.

Fantastic to see the skyline grow outward and to see another vacant plot of land developed, nonetheless.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 4:49 PM

Sterling Bay is not slowing down on Lincoln Yards. Renderings for 1685 N. Throop, plus "The Steelyard"

Quote:
Introducing 1685 N Throop, the first creative office opportunity at Lincoln Yards. Located in the heart of The Steelyard, this 365,000 SF premier development offers unmatched accessibility within Chicago’s most vibrant and connected new neighborhood.
Quote:
The Steelyard will embody the spirit of Lincoln Yards as the place where Chicago connects, bringing together local residents and visitors alike to meet, play, celebrate and innovate.

https://www.lincolnyards.com/#1685-n-throop

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:18 PM
BANNED

More generic midrises but hopefully this shows that this project is truly coming along.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 10:20 PM

I like it, sort of reminds me of Coal Drops Yards in London.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 5:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:26 PM

Spotted a crane today in the LY area. I'm assuming it's Ally?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:48 PM
TL;DR

A little blurb in Block Club today:

Quote:
"...I didn’t go through that whole fight to pass Lincoln Yards to walk away from it and not ensure that [infrastructure promises are] kept,” Hopkins said. “My goal now is not to make sure Sterling Bay gets to build their buildings — my goal is to make sure the three bridges are built, the intersections get rebuilt…the park gets built, the 606 gets extended and the new Metra station gets built.”
He specifically referred to 3 bridges, so that must mean Dominick, Armitage, and a pedestrian bridge at Concord. Cortland is in the project zone too, but that bridge exists already and is the city's responsibility to maintain. Good to see the alderman is committed to this, since Sterling Bay's most recent plans have been silent on the Concord bridge.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:58 PM

Nov 18

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 9:50 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
A little blurb in Block Club today:

He specifically referred to 3 bridges, so that must mean Dominick, Armitage, and a pedestrian bridge at Concord. Cortland is in the project zone too, but that bridge exists already and is the city's responsibility to maintain. Good to see the alderman is committed to this, since Sterling Bay's most recent plans have been silent on the Concord bridge.
I was unaware that they were planning to build an Armitage Ave bridge, that's pretty neat as its definitely necessary to ease congestion on Cortland, and all the surrounding streets & the Kennedy ramps. Will that link up somehow with Armitage east of Racine? Or will it simply end at Kingsbury (perhaps Clybourn via Magnolia?) That entire area is currently a traffic nightmare, and I know the city is planning to re-do a lot of the intersections there, including the Elston/Armitage/Ashland entanglement.

Its always been a mystery to me why the city never built an Armitage Ave bridge from the get go a century ago.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I was unaware that they were planning to build an Armitage Ave bridge, that's pretty neat as its definitely necessary to ease congestion on Cortland, and all the surrounding streets & the Kennedy ramps. Will that link up somehow with Armitage east of Racine? Or will it simply end at Kingsbury (perhaps Clybourn via Magnolia?) That entire area is currently a traffic nightmare, and I know the city is planning to re-do a lot of the intersections there, including the Elston/Armitage/Ashland entanglement.

Its always been a mystery to me why the city never built an Armitage Ave bridge from the get go a century ago.
Hope that means they will redo the underpass where the railroads cross over Ashland. I have always hated that one.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Hope that means they will redo the underpass where the railroads cross over Ashland. I have always hated that one.
That bridge is awful. It would be nice to see it free of columns. Something defining like the truss bridge down on Torrence and Brainard.

I bet the existing crumbling overpass is just cosmetic damage. It could probably last another 50 years only sweeping up the broken concrete below

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:24 PM

I think the idea of an armitage bridge is a misquote or misunderstanding. I've never seen that in the final plans (granted plans can change though), nor would it make much sense because you cannot connect armitage on the west of the river to armitage on the east of the river.

you'd have to buy a bunch of buildings and tear them down, which could be done, but kind of unnecessary when you have cortland ave so close already.

these buildings are not part of LY today and you are getting into hard core NIMBY land of Lincoln Park

and again, kind of an unnecessary expense when you look closely at a map of the area

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I think the idea of an armitage bridge is a misquote or misunderstanding. I've never seen that in the final plans (granted plans can change though), nor would it make much sense because you cannot connect armitage on the west of the river to armitage on the east of the river.

you'd have to buy a bunch of buildings and tear them down, which could be done, but kind of unnecessary when you have cortland ave so close already.

these buildings are not part of LY today and you are getting into hard core NIMBY land of Lincoln Park

and again, kind of an unnecessary expense when you look closely at a map of the area
Found this earlier in this thread Slide 13 details the plans for an extension of Armitage over the river and has a diagram.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Found this earlier in this thread Slide 13 details the plans for an extension of Armitage over the river and has a diagram.
I see... so extend it to Kingsbury, but not connect it to armitage ave on the east of the river

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I see... so extend it to Kingsbury, but not connect it to armitage ave on the east of the river
Yes. It wouldn't fully restore the missing link of Armitage but it would provide an alternative. Plenty of traffic that crosses the river at Cortland is not heading to continue east on Armitage, but go north on Racine or southeast on Clybourn so this would be an alternative.

There's obviously no political way to restore the missing link of Armitage; what politician is gonna kick a beloved animal shelter out so they can ease traffic for rich Lincoln Park trixies?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:49 PM
1st Ward

Interesting. This will be a massive improvement to the congestion in the area for sure. Maybe one day decades from now the city might have the funds/political will to connect Armitage and correct the mistakes of the past, but this would still be a big win regardless of that. The more we can connect our neighborhoods, the better.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes. It wouldn't fully restore the missing link of Armitage but it would provide an alternative. Plenty of traffic that crosses the river at Cortland is not heading to continue east on Armitage, but go north on Racine or southeast on Clybourn so this would be an alternative.

There's obviously no political way to restore the missing link of Armitage; what politician is gonna kick a beloved animal shelter out so they can ease traffic for rich Lincoln Park trixies?
in terms of lincoln park residents I think it's pretty easy to push through a plan to ease traffic at all costs. it's a heavily car-centric demographic after all.

but it would be a wasteful plan.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 12:32 AM

Nov 26

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 1:23 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ Is the Y logo supposed to be an homage to the Municipal Device?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development