HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:36 PM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:46 AM
Never Dell

I don't know how to make this stuff more clear. None of your rebuttal points are remotely useful here. The public money is presumably contingent on the project happening, paid as it happens. The garage is already explained...they WANT to build a tower. And so on. I won't bother getting into land use permits again.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 3:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcFFZOa7c0

Another view, great series of videos

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:14 PM

Watching all the construction videos on YouTube gets me really excited about this project.
Things are moving!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslickerrr View Post
Construction workers on site: dozens est.
Social distancing?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:55 PM

This could be my imagination, but the number of construction workers seems to have increased dramatically over the past few days. See if you agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIExCg3piY

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 6:17 PM

I noticed that too, seemed like maybe a dozen new workers

Also they are building one of the cores for the block which is exciting.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:26 PM
Registered Ugly

Definitely a lot more going on now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:35 PM

Is it just me or has work started on the tower side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljwai_Xr-Yo

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 2:30 PM

They have started constructing the rebar cage for the foundation for the main section of the tower

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 1:41 AM
New Yorker for life

More looks...

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 11:52 PM

10/14/20 by 313rd on DetroitYes.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:24 PM

Just looked at the latest construction cam footage for this one. It looks about the same as it did a month ago.

Detroit I love you but you gotta up your highrise construction game. This isn't even above ground level yet. In less time than this project has been active over in Chicago at 110 N Wacker an office building was demolished and it's 814ft tall 1.7 million sq ft replacement has been completed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:26 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Just looked at the latest construction cam footage for this one. It looks about the same as it did a month ago.

Detroit I love you but you gotta up your highrise construction game. This isn't even above ground level yet. In less time than this project has been active over in Chicago at 110 N Wacker an office building was demolished and it's 814ft tall 1.7 million sq ft replacement has been completed.
I've been watching Block 216 in Portland lapping this as well and started literally years later. But this is what happens when you announce a building with no defined programming to make sure you get the state and local incentives.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:06 PM

I think you guys are being a little harsh on the Construction Team.

1. Besides NY and LA you cant compare any city to Chicago, especially in terms of development. Besides in Chicago they don't have to drill shafts for the building to sit on. It is usually some sort of shallow pier or pile. The soils are significantly different as there are good hard soils in Chicago and crappy soft clay in Detroit. Especially that close to the river you are going to hit artesian, which they did.

2) The building in Portland is 300 feet shorter and do they have a two story underground parking? The footprint of the two jobs is significantly different two. You cant compare the speed of two projects especially if they are nothing alike.

Let's all just be grateful that this building is actually moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambe160 View Post
Let's all just be grateful that this building is actually moving forward.
Well, that's the issue. There are no concrete plans for this building. No indication it's gonna be built anytime soon.

I think, yes, something will eventually be built on this site. But I would be shocked if it were fully built out in the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Besides in Chicago they don't have to drill shafts for the building to sit on. It is usually some sort of shallow pier or pile. The soils are significantly different as there are good hard soils in Chicago and crappy soft clay in Detroit. .
Almost all Chicago skyscrapers sit stop drilled pier deep foundation systems (or "caissons" as they're colloquially named in Chicago). The ground below downtown Chicago is all soft mushy clay just like in Detroit.

In fact, Chicago was one of the pioneering cities where drilled pier deep foundation systems were first developed back in the day because of the city's poor-quality soils.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I think you guys are being a little harsh on the Construction Team.

1. Besides NY and LA you cant compare any city to Chicago, especially in terms of development. Besides in Chicago they don't have to drill shafts for the building to sit on. It is usually some sort of shallow pier or pile. The soils are significantly different as there are good hard soils in Chicago and crappy soft clay in Detroit. Especially that close to the river you are going to hit artesian, which they did.
I think you're thinking of NY where in much of the city bedrock is just below the surface. Chicago is notoriously built on a swamp so every big project starts out with deep foundations like the photo below from the 110 N Wacker construction thread.

I wonder if the slow pace at the Hudson's site when compared to other larger projects in other cities has more to do with experience, logistics and competition than anything else. Skyscrapers are going up regularly in Chicago for example so there's more companies and workers with more experience in this sort of construction and more of the equipment / materials readily available for these jobs.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

Major projects in Boston also take forever, so it's not just Detroit. South Station Tower, at 677' so about this size, is supposed to start next year but has been in the planning phase for about 40 years. Our 685' Millennium Tower that was completed in 2016 dug a hole and then went on hold for 5 full years. The 691' Winthrop Square Tower just out of the ground was originally proposed as a supertall 10 years ago before being cut repeatedly and going through an extremely long prep process.

I checked the webcam link for this from a couple days ago and it looks like a ton of workers were on site, and at least part of it has reached ground level. At least it's making forward progress. Foundations and the base itself usually take forever, but once the tower floors start forming it will likely skyrocket from there. Your faith will be rewarded, eventually.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 10:34 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I think you're thinking of NY where in much of the city bedrock is just below the surface. Chicago is notoriously built on a swamp so every big project starts out with deep foundations like the photo below from the 110 N Wacker construction thread.
The soils weren't the issue with the foundation it was left over foundation from Hudson's building

Crews spent the last year and a half demolishing an old parking garage, drilling through old concrete foundation left behind after the demolition of Hudson's and building a new foundation.

It's "always assumed" that there will be obstructions whenever installing caissons, cylindrical chambers that go deep into the ground for foundation, Guziewicz said, "but ... we hit the jackpot of all obstructions ... we hit so many obstructions that it blew our obstruction allowance."

Mike Schefka, project director for Southfield-based Barton Malow, the construction management company on the project, said "it was much more challenging here because of the existing foundation from the old Hudson's. We had to drill through concrete and a lot of obstructions that were buried in there when they imploded it. It’s one thing drilling through earth, it's another thing drilling through existing concrete.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...es/5404886002/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction