HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:47 AM

Which one is Mckinley green again?

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:26 AM

McKinley Green is between 1st and 2nd Ave just north of McKinley, consisting of the old McKinley club and some parking lots.

The abandonment should be for the alley, removing it from public domain but maintaining vehicle right of way to access the garage and structure to be built over it.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
McKinley Green is between 1st and 2nd Ave just north of McKinley, consisting of the old McKinley club and some parking lots.

The abandonment should be for the alley, removing it from public domain but maintaining vehicle right of way to access the garage and structure to be built over it.
This one, right (First McKinley)?

https://hatterassky.com/projects/

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:59 AM
Skyriser

^ This might be my favorite new project in phoenix. Those muted grayish blues look good, as do the rooflines, it preserves a historic building, and it looks like a big project.

Although the more interesting of those one-stories is the one they're razing, but I'm not going to shed a tear if thing is actually built.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
This one, right (First McKinley)?

Website story indicating construction start this summer.

https://hatterassky.com/hatteras-sky...-and-mckinley/

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Great to see updated photos when possible of downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:37 PM

Behind The Stucco: Downtown Phoenix Historic Buildings With A Story Underneath

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:53 AM
Skyriser

I've been looking for pictures of the Coronet! The cheap glass on 1001 N Central is probably one of the worst renovations, even the Ellis Building and others have some modernist charm.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:58 AM
Skyriser

As far as the Edith, I'm surprised they're able to even build this this tall and make it pencil out.

The reduction might actually be a good thing because they're doing their due diligence, probably removing that useless "flex space" that always scares me, and making the floor plates work for the core and shell needed to service the building on a very small lot. From a technical standpoint, this might be one of the more interesting projects to go up downtown--not often we see a high-rise on a challenging lot.

Not sure if people remember but an aLoft? I think it was hotel was proposed many years ago and they had to canopy over the sidewalk. Phoenix Streets hates that.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Not sure if people remember but an aLoft? I think it was hotel was proposed many years ago and they had to canopy over the sidewalk. Phoenix Streets hates that.
Who is Phoenix Streets and why would they hate canopies over the sidewalks?

I think that's an absolutely brilliant idea if downtown had more canopies and shade over the sidewalks. It would make walking around in 115 degree weather a tad more bearable. God what a dream.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:19 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Who is Phoenix Streets and why would they hate canopies over the sidewalks?

I think that's an absolutely brilliant idea if downtown had more canopies and shade over the sidewalks. It would make walking around in 115 degree weather a tad more bearable. God what a dream.
City of Phoenix Streets Department, the people that authorize construction over the right of way, in this case a sidewalk. I can't remember what bit of the building or zoning code I read but I think it's strict, even compared to places like San Francisco that will regulate the teeth out of you.

So we're talking about arcades, by themselves, probably without development over them were encouraged back in the day but I believe that zoning code was repealed with urban form. I also seem to recall them discouraged by urbanists in favor of street trees which are conveniently managed by the Parks Department who never does the job and somebody else foots the bill...

Sorry I'm being vague, I haven't looked into this information in many, many years. I would be curious to think what an arcadization of phoenix would look like tho.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:38 AM

It would be sensible if Phoenix had arcades all over downtown. I visited Bolonga and it has arcades all over the central city. It is known for them... well, maybe after their university.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Downtown Mesa has shade over almost all the storefronts on Main Street. It makes walking from one business to another so much more pleasant in the summer. Nevertheless, I've heard some people complain about them because they were added after the original buildings were constructed. I'd rather compromise a little historic integrity for shade, but I guess some people have different priorties.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
As far as the Edith, I'm surprised they're able to even build this this tall and make it pencil out.
I think I've heard that one, but refresh my memory. Which development is the Edith?

Edit: Found it. This one isn't very tall at all. Only about 211' to the roof. Why would it not have penciled out?

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; May 22, 2020 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:50 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I think I've heard that one, but refresh my memory. Which development is the Edith?

Edit: Found it. This one isn't very tall at all. Only about 211' to the roof. Why would it not have penciled out?
It's a small lot. It's hard to go tall on a small lot.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
It's a small lot. It's hard to go tall on a small lot.
That lot is actually not all that small. It's larger than Derby or Kenect's lots.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 4:39 PM
Chase M

Good shots from ABC 15 chopper today over and around Downtown, can see a lot of the projects currently under construction!

https://www.facebook.com/ABC15/videos/553381118907165/

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Downtown Mesa has shade over almost all the storefronts on Main Street. It makes walking from one business to another so much more pleasant in the summer. Nevertheless, I've heard some people complain about them because they were added after the original buildings were constructed. I'd rather compromise a little historic integrity for shade, but I guess some people have different priorties.
I'm with you. They've started getting rid of the colonnades on storefronts that get a facelift. Mostly the renovations have looked good, but I'd rather they keep the shade.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:51 PM

One of the main problems the Edith has had surrounds the amount of easements the city has stacked on the property over the years. A property this small makes for very little flexibility and designing a building that adheres to the downtown zoning code (not impeding on current easements) impossible without variances. I think they’ve managed to get through both ZAHO and DRC with their variances approved, like I‘ve mentioned they REALLY want to start this project, and IMO they’re giving us a pretty result. Not perfect, but nice. I wish there was more focus on the Central frontage for retail but the existing utilities prevent that...ugh.

Anywho, they also wrote a sternly worded letter to the City of Phoenix about the struggles they’ve caused in redeveloping this property. As more long-time parking lots are developed, we’ll probably see more of these cases. I just hope that every developer with a worthy project is as committed as Berger and Sunbelt Holdings.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I'm with you. They've started getting rid of the colonnades on storefronts that get a facelift. Mostly the renovations have looked good, but I'd rather they keep the shade.
What if, instead of adding arcades to structures, owners start adding those giant awnings again like in all the old photos of Territorial Phoenix?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:17 PM
Modulator

Aspirant is going for a downtown height zoning increase for Astra from 525' to 540'. This means increased height on the building is possible (it was originally 532.9' to the penthouse I believe). Zoning hearing is scheduled for June 8th.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; May 22, 2020 at 7:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest