HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:00 PM

Good Roosevelt Row and the RO2 Development Scheme/ True North.

Stealing tech business from Scottsdale and filling in some of the proposed space. I Expect to see more of this kind of thing for Downtown in coming years.

I also got the chance to meet and spend a lot of time with a Commercial Real Estate broker some weeks ago who apparently (assuming he is not full of it) works with True North, I shared with him some of my concerns we have for there ambitious plan.

In this brokers opinion he thought the True North guys were going to pull off most, if not all of what they've proposed. Specifically with everything planned North of Rossevelt.

Hopefully that means we will see some movement on all of these parcels soon.

Quote:
Woz ED, an educational technology company in part created by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, is moving its headquarters to the Roosevelt Row Arts District.

Karen Young, the CEO of Woz ED, announced the move at the DesTech AZ annual dinner Oct. 17. The company will move into the Ten-O-One building at 1001 North Central Ave. Young said the office building, which is undergoing a massive renovation by True North Studio, will align well with the company’s approach to education and student achievement.

The company specializes in developing “career pathways” and curriculum for schools and districts to inspire children in kindergarten through high school to develop an engineering mindset. The curriculum aims to prepare students for entry-level workplace readiness. Examples of pathways include coding, drone piloting, animation and data analysis.

“When we saw True North Studio’s plan for the Roosevelt Arts District and the rebirth of the Ten-O-One building, we knew it was the perfect home for the immersive technology learning environment we wanted to create,” Young told the Business Journal.

The company plans to use the headquarters to debut its offerings for various education officials.

“We'll host hundreds of visitors from across the nation next year who are interested in exploring how we prepare young learners for careers in the tech industry starting in kindergarten," Young said. "The True North Studio plans for the district were in complete alignment with our vision, and we are thrilled to be part of it.”

True North Studio, which is based on Roosevelt and Second streets, bought the office building in February for $15.25 million. At the time of the purchase, the company announced plans to renovate the office building to create a modern space with open floor plans, as well as activate the building’s basement for food and beverage uses. The exterior walls of the building will be covered with murals.

Woz ED will lease the entire top floor of the building.

True North Studios' plans include retrofitting the building's accompanying parking garage into the company’s Land Yacht Club. The project will place Airstream trailers placed around the building, which True North Studio Principal Jonathon Vento said he envisions as artist housing.

Separately, officials with Scottsdale-based Woz U, the higher-education services company based in Scottsdale also created by Wozniak, said earlier this year it would close its computer coding school as it pivots toward being an education-as-a-service provider to colleges and businesses.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:08 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ing-hq-to.html

Woz ED, an educational technology company in part created by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak , is moving its headquarters to the Roosevelt Row Arts District.

Karen Young , the CEO of Woz ED, announced the move at the DesTech AZ annual dinner Oct. 17. The company will move into the Ten-O-One building at 1001 North Central Ave. Young said the office building, which is undergoing a massive renovation by True North Studio, will align well with the company's approach to education and student achievement.

The company specializes in developing “career pathways” and curriculum for schools and districts to inspire children in kindergarten through high school to develop an engineering mindset. The curriculum aims to prepare students for entry-level workplace readiness. Examples of pathways include coding, drone piloting, animation and data analysis.

“When we saw True North Studio's plan for the Roosevelt Arts District and the rebirth of the Ten-O-One building, we knew it was the perfect home for the immersive technology learning environment we wanted to create,” Young said.

The company plans to use the headquarters to debut its offerings for various education officials.

“We'll host hundreds of visitors from across the nation next year who are interested in exploring how we prepare young learners for careers in the tech industry starting in kindergarten," Young said. "The True North Studio plans for the district were in complete alignment with our vision, and we are thrilled to be part of it. ”

True North Studio, which is based on Roosevelt and Second streets, bought the office building in February for $ 15.25 million. At the time of the purchase, the company announced plans to renovate the office building to create a modern space with open floor plans, as well as activate the building's basement for food and beverage uses. The exterior walls of the building will be covered with murals.

Woz ED will lease the entire top floor of the building.

True North Studios' plans include retrofitting the building's accompanying parking garage into the company's Land Yacht Club. The project will place Airstream trailers placed around the building, which True North Studio Principal Jonathon Vento said he envisions as artist housing.

Separately, officials with Scottsdale-based Woz U , the higher-education services company based in Scottsdale also created by Wozniak, said earlier this year it would close its computer coding school as it pivots toward being an education-as-a-service provider to colleges and businesses.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:14 PM

Too slow chestnut

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:44 PM

Dang it!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:34 PM

Calling all Permit Slooths:

I was doing some random real estate searching around midtown and saw that this allegedly sold on 9/30/19

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/W28LZ...k/document.pdf

Its pre-zoned and ready for a multi family development. Anyone have any incite on who purchased it and if Midtown may be getting another large apartment complex?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Calling all Permit Slooths:

I was doing some random real estate searching around midtown and saw that this allegedly sold on 9/30/19

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/W28LZ...k/document.pdf

Its pre-zoned and ready for a multi family development. Anyone have any incite on who purchased it and if Midtown may be getting another large apartment complex?
From what I can tell, purchaser was not a developer. New owner is "Masyno Osborn, LLC." Sole member of that company is "Masyno Holdings, LLC." Members of that company are Anthony and Kal Bibars. Never heard of them, but a little googling around tells me that Bibars just sold a long-time business that manufactured hair products in August. Just reading between the lines but my guess would be this is investing some of the proceeds from the sale of the business. Doesn't mean they won't be looking to sell to a developer, but I don't think there's anything imminent.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:24 PM

The old hospice building behind St. Joe's is being torn down for the new 5 story tower expansion, also the parking Garage down the block form there for Park Central is going up quick,

Ill snap some pics if I can later today.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The old hospice building behind St. Joe's is being torn down for the new 5 story tower expansion, also the parking Garage down the block form there for Park Central is going up quick,

Ill snap some pics if I can later today.
Cool. I've recently changed job positions and no longer work in the Financial Center. So getting updates of Midtown is no longer easy for me. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Cool. I've recently changed job positions and no longer work in the Financial Center. So getting updates of Midtown is no longer easy for me. Thanks!
What are you doing now Ronnie??

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:22 PM
Modulator

Took a spin around Downtown on my lunch today to check out the AC crane construction. Crane looks about 165' or so. Not too bad. A little bit taller than the Wexford crane and sticks well above the parking garage, but AC will be substantially shorty than Two AZ Center. So not much of a skyline changer, but will be a great infill development.

Also, a construction trailer is on the Aspire site with signage on the fences for dust control, plus a few hard hat executives were walking around the lot. Some trees have been pulled. This is getting ready to break ground...within the next 2-3 weeks I bet.

Workers from Christy Signs were hard at work on the Stewart spinning sign. Hope they get it working. Would love to see it in operation!

Underground plumbing is going in at the Fillmore development. Looks like the East block is getting the first phase. The West block is for construction parking.

Kenect is already at about the 14th floor and starting to make a dent in the skyline. Was trying to get a pick, but the light turned green to fast.

Didn't get to check out Hines or the Fry's opening. I'll probably stop by Fry's after work since I need some grocery's

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
What are you doing now Ronnie??
I left DES and started working IT for DPS. Unfortunately, I am near the fairground now and not able to do my daily lunch walks around Midtown or Downtown anymore.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:54 PM

I don’t think there is anything new here other than an indication that this should be rolling next year https://azbigmedia.com/blogs/park-ce...t-development/

I’ve seen on a couple of marketing sheets a plan for a hotel on central on the north side of park central I suspect we will get the announcement for that sometime next year.

Quote:
The owners of Park Central have sold off a 1.6-acre chunk of the property to a developer who is planning a mid-rise multifamily residential community on the site.

Plaza Companies and Holualoa Companies sold the parcel along the southern boundary of Park Central to The Dinerstein Companies, a Houston-based developer of multifamily and student housing communities, in a $7.1 million transaction.

The Dinerstein Companies (TDC) will develop Millennium at Park Central, a nine-story, 278-unit multifamily property located on the southern boundary of the property’s development. Once complete, Millennium will include collaborative workspace, an outdoor sky deck and best in class amenities and finishes.

“This is an important step in our vision of turning Park Central into a truly dynamic mixed-use project that helps to revitalize central Phoenix,” said Stan Shafer, Chief Operating Officer of Holualoa Companies. “The multifamily project will integrate with the office, educational and hospitality amenities at Park Central to create a hub for activity and an exceptional place to live.”

“We were pleased to partner with a company with the kind of reputation for excellence as The Dinerstein Companies,” said Sharon Harper, Chairman and CEO of Plaza Companies. “The vision for Park Central from Day 1 has been to create an exceptional project that enhances our urban core, and The Dinerstein Companies will help achieve that vision.”

Plaza Companies and Holualoa Companies are teaming up to redevelop Park Central Mall, which once was the city’s first official large-scale shopping mall. The companies are transitioning the expansive space from a retail center to an almost 500,000-square-foot bustling community hub ideal for playing, working, congregating and celebrating the arts.

TDC is one of the country’s largest developers of high-end urban product with a national footprint extending from California to Florida. Since inception, the company has developed over 60,000 apartment units. The Dinerstein Companies has an extensive portfolio of multifamily developments scattered across the country with a particular emphasis on green building — the Phoenix project will be built to LEED standards and include a broad spectrum of green building features.

“We believe that Park Central is the perfect fit for our Millennium brand and the type of exceptional multifamily product that we’ve build across the country,” said Josh Vasbinder, Development Partner of The Dinerstein Companies. “The Park Central location is in the heart of a burgeoning area of the community, with great demographics and a highly educated and talented workforce. It is an ideal location and we are pleased to have the opportunity to enter the Phoenix market there.”

The new Park Central includes 450,000 square feet of Class A creative office and retail space available for lease with the ability to accommodate tenants ranging from 3,500 square feet to more than 100,000 square feet in size. It features exclusive tenant patios, on-site restaurants and amenities, a stunning mid-century modern design, 15-25 foot ceilings, convenient bike path and light rail access and ample parking. For more information on the project, visit www.parkcentralphoenix.com.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:26 AM

Park Central

I really hope they keep going! I would love to see the north lot get turned into a residential high-rise wrapped in retail, facing central and leading people into the center. Then hopefully more development where the crappy 2-story garage is. Albeit well down the road.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:12 AM

News on a minor note. A pre-app was submitted for something called "Astra" by Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB). Interestingly, it's for the YMCA's parking lot, which after checking out parcel records, is not owned by the Y. I always assumed they owned it.

Unfortunately, there is no project description provided with the pre-app, but SCB, which is based in Chicago with an office in San Francisco, seems to do a lot of large scale projects based on the portfolio shown on their website.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
News on a minor note. A pre-app was submitted for something called "Astra" by Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB). Interestingly, it's for the YMCA's parking lot, which after checking out parcel records, is not owned by the Y. I always assumed they owned it.

Unfortunately, there is no project description provided with the pre-app, but SCB, which is based in Chicago with an office in San Francisco, seems to do a lot of large scale projects based on the portfolio shown on their website.
Hmmm this could be the city’s tallest skyscraper proposal from a few pages back!!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:43 AM

^ That could be huge news! SCB is bad ass, I'm hoping that X Tempe uses their original design.

For reference: https://www.orionprop.com/topfive/go...ower-near-asu/

"Astra" is the perfect name for PHX's tallest building

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:01 AM
Skyriser

This was the site of the Jet where Aspirant wanted to build Phoenix's newest tallest, and the architect was out of Chicago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-tallest.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:24 AM
Modulator

Please let this be so!! Phoenix's skyline is starting to reach some density. Added height would really make the skyline pop!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:43 AM

Chestnut - was there an address listed on that pre-app?

The reason I ask is because then what proposal is this one?? The architect listed here is CCBG and not SCB. Maybe it’s the same one?

https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/...ype=PlanReview

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Chestnut - was there an address listed on that pre-app?

The reason I ask is because then what proposal is this one?? The architect listed here is CCBG and not SCB. Maybe it’s the same one?

I’m guessing this is it:

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Whoah! So these are two different project addresses. Are we talking about 2 potential high-rises on this whole stretch behind the YMCA?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest