HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Just imagine if the Hines plans to replace convention center south come to fruition. We will have, by then, several really nice street canyons
One of my favorite up and coming street canyons, albeit short, is Polk between Central Ave and 2nd St. With Akara, University Center, Hampton Inn, law school, and the imminent Thunderbird school, it creates a cool little canyon to where the Sheraton acts as a terminus

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ I really hope they don't do that or either the convention center remains the same rentable size with any redevelopment.

It's ridiculous to spend $600 million to expand it then downsize it later at the whim of real-estate developers.
You're confusing it w/ the overall CC expansion and addition of North/West buildings. South Building only underwent $18M renovation in 2008. The South building is the subject of the upcoming RFP for the site. I would love to keep some space for CC use and split up the mega block for development.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
One of my favorite up and coming street canyons, albeit short, is Polk between Central Ave and 2nd St. With Akara, University Center, Hampton Inn, law school, and the imminent Thunderbird school, it creates a cool little canyon to where the Sheraton acts as a terminus
I was just thinking this the other day. Once Akara and the Thunderbird School buildings are complete, the urban feel and feeling of place for downtown ASU will be very nice.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:37 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
You're confusing it w/ the overall CC expansion and addition of North/West buildings. South Building only underwent $18M renovation in 2008. The South building is the subject of the upcoming RFP for the site. I would love to keep some space for CC use and split up the mega block for development.
I'm not confusing the two.

First off, the megablock contributes to the space it offers for conventions. Short blocks definitely help urban vitality, but aren't necessary--the blocks in SF's SoMa area are like a fifth of a mile. Streetside activation is key--entrances every 25 - 50'. Phoenix has a perpetual problem with activating streets, especially at this standard, and I'm not optimistic that Hines will propose something that does.

The North and West buildings were built to make the Convention Center seriously compete with other cities and be in the important "Top 20" in size to land the biggest of shows. The X-hall in the North building was designed to someday connect with an X-hall in a future south building--the wall on the south side of that space is not permanent and warrants regular inspection.

And even still, spending $18M to renovate it 13 years later and then demolishing it for a likely net reduction in size is just bonkers in my book. Phoenix is looking at this from a strictly operating costs/revenue to the city perspective and ignoring the massive sunk capital costs.

More than a waste of Phoenix taxpayer dollars it wastes state dollars and sooner or later somebody in the statehouse will raise issue if such a city/state partnership will happen again. The city needs to be entrusted to spend the money wisely and they're instead considering razing the investment.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:59 AM

Drove by the filmore today and noticed they had earth movers on the phase 2 block.

Maybe this whole thing will move ??

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 5:22 AM

I’d love to see the DBacks build a new stadium where the old convention center building is. And then develope the old stadium into a neighborhood of apartments and bars called The Chase similar to Wrigleyville. One can dream..........

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Yes - great shots.

So the crane was for which project?

We didn't get a crane for X or a raised crane for Kennec this weekend?
I thought Kenect was going g to be raised this past weekend. They sure are trying to squeeze every inch of height they can before raising the crane, lol.

X should go up this weekend according to a construction worker I spoke with.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:08 AM
Modulator

So, a mobile crane is onsite at Kenect to raise the tower crane. Construction worker I talked to said the plan was to raise the tower crane tomorrow morning, but they had problems, so maybe Thursday morning.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:34 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So, a mobile crane is onsite at Kenect to raise the tower crane. Construction worker I talked to said the plan was to raise the tower crane tomorrow morning, but they had problems, so maybe Thursday morning.
I've never seen this in construction and probably why they're trying to squeeze every inch. Usually tower cranes jack themselves up.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I've never seen this in construction and probably why they're trying to squeeze every inch. Usually tower cranes jack themselves up.
Seriously. How cheap are you to rent a 100’ tower crane & then wait last minute & use a mobile crane to rebuild to 250’. Weird as hell. Or who planned this without a jack in the middle of the crane. Tower cranes around here must be getting expensive. I thought it was weird that none of the NOVUS projects are using tower cranes with building heights of nearly 100’.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:23 AM

Why spend money before it's necessary?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Why spend money before it's necessary?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:55 AM

Type of Crane at Kenect

When they original installed this "tower" crane I noticed that it was not placed into the ground like most other tower cranes as there are like cement blocks pressing down on some extended 'struts' or something that hold the crane up so I am thinking this is a different type of "tower" crane that cannot elevate itself, hence the mobile crane needed to elevate it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:36 PM
Modulator

Yea, it is wierd indeed. Never seen this before. The other odd thing is, I don't see a brace connected to the building either. That crane will be crazy rocking at full height. I would not want to be the operator!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Seriously. How cheap are you to rent a 100’ tower crane & then wait last minute & use a mobile crane to rebuild to 250’. Weird as hell. Or who planned this without a jack in the middle of the crane. Tower cranes around here must be getting expensive. I thought it was weird that none of the NOVUS projects are using tower cranes with building heights of nearly 100’.
Yeah - I don’t get this either - there are tons of cranes north of downtown built out for projects that seems to be around 60/70ft tall - that are properly anchored into the ground, etc. I’m sure maybe the city didn’t want them tearing up the street - or the costs for doing so were too expensive - but you’d have to think there were other options.

Maybe now they are seeing that this wasn’t such a great idea...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Looking forward to more pages of useless and speculative crane conversation. Nevermind a building is going up, but crane envy is now the thing to give a crap about.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
Looking forward to more pages of useless and speculative crane conversation. Nevermind a building is going up, but crane envy is now the thing to give a crap about.
Conversely you could submit something else for us to talk about?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
Part of the exciting aspect of construction of a high-rise is the equipment that is used for it, such as a tower crane. I myself think it's fun to watch the mobile riding power trowlers. I can't help but think that would be fun construction job, lol. If you don't like the topics, that is fine, but some of us want to know about this kind of thing and why it's done differently than the standard. No harm in that.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:45 PM
self-important urbanista

Cranes are an informal economic indicator for cities. Seeing a lot of them is often a positive sign for a city's economy and urban vitality.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Cranes are an informal economic indicator for cities. Seeing a lot of them is often a positive sign for a city's economy and urban vitality.
Exactly. My friend from LA was in town for the Panthers game 2 weekends ago and I took him to the ASU Football game the day before of course. He was impressed and surprised with all the construction happening around campus and stadium and all the cranes he saw

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest