HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
One of the buildings where asu new dorms will be built came down this morning.
Did it just take a good push?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
It looks like an adaptive reuse project was filed for 719 E. Roosevelt for Chez Gregory. SCSR 1902300 is you're interested.
Chez Gregory sounds like it will add to the mini-French Revolution happening downtown. We had La Madeleine bakery open a few months ago, anticipate the Josephine next to the Cambria hotel, and Petite Joe (French coffee shop) opening in the Kinpe House.

Speaking of the latter, the Knipe House has a lot of activity happening around it. They closed off the street and appear to be digging a trench from the lot with the house and across 2nd St. Any idea what for?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 10:58 PM

Park Central rezoning packet.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-13-19.pdf

Nothing too new as far as I could tell. But it is nice seeing the big blocks on the proposed zoning map eating up the surface parking lot. And there is a somewhat comical letter from a seasonal 1 E. Lexington resident that "condemns" the project.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Nothing too new as far as I could tell. But it is nice seeing the big blocks on the proposed zoning map eating up the surface parking lot. And there is a somewhat comical letter from a seasonal 1 E. Lexington resident that "condemns" the project.
It's as if he expected by moving to a large city along a major redevelopment corridor there would be no construction noise or development going on around him. That noise "disturbance" will surely continue for at least the next 4 years.

On another note, I noticed some sections have height allowances up to 680 feet. I pray that we can start to see some proposals that meet that height.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
And there is a somewhat comical letter from a seasonal 1 E. Lexington resident that "condemns" the project.
This is what having a lot of free time in retirement looks like!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
This is what having a lot of free time in retirement looks like!
Lol. I'd amend that to "a lot of free time for grumpy people feeling free to be grumpy...".

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:59 AM

Good point. I'm not retired but I'd take the time to passionately chase after something I felt strongly against. I'm pretty grumpy.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

The "condemner" misused 911 by calling that number to report construction noise. It's hard to take him seriously after that inauspicious start to his letter.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The "condemner" misused 911 by calling that number to report construction noise. It's hard to take him seriously after that inauspicious start to his letter.
Haha. He also ends his letter to include " Likewise, the Phoenix
Police department has never, not once, responded to repeated calls."

Life is an ongoing IQ test. Just the fact that he would even entertain that to be a function of PD shows he's working somewhere in the double digits.

And I'd love to see the letter he writes should he ever have to call PD while someone is breaking into his house-with dispatch telling him there's going to be a delayed response because the nearest officers are on the scene of construction noise complaints.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post

And I'd love to see the letter he writes should he ever have to call PD while someone is breaking into his house-with dispatch telling him there's going to be a delayed response because the nearest officers are on the scene of construction noise complaints.
My daughter recently brought home a worksheet from her Girl Scouts meeting. It gives helpful examples of when to call 911 and when not to call that number. For example, the girls are told to call 911 if "my dad fell and is lying on the floor with his head bleeding" but not if "my sister took my favorite toy." It sounds like an adult version is needed.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:

Is it May yet? This joker needs to head back to Canada.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 7:36 PM

Phoenix Opportunity Zones

https://www.yardimatrix.com/Media/Do...9?signup=false

Phoenix metro is primed for explosive development growth (even more than it has) when the tax guidelines for opportunity zones (OZs) are finalized. Phoenix is top 15 or higher in the country in:
-Most In-Place and Under Construction Multifamily units in OZs (2nd with 54,000
-Most planned/prospective multi family units in OZs (6th with 12,023)
-Most In-Place and Under Construction Office sq ft in OZs (6th with 28.5 million sq ft)
-Most planned/prospective office sq ft in OZs (12th with 21.1 million sq ft)
- Phoenix also ranks high in self storage development if you’re interested in reading about that

https://azcommerce.maps.arcgis.com/a....1567%2C102100

Above are the opportunity zones in Arizona:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
https://www.yardimatrix.com/Media/Do...9?signup=false

Phoenix metro is primed for explosive development growth (even more than it has) when the tax guidelines for opportunity zones (OZs) are finalized. Phoenix is top 15 or higher in the country in:
-Most In-Place and Under Construction Multifamily units in OZs (2nd with 54,000
-Most planned/prospective multi family units in OZs (6th with 12,023)
-Most In-Place and Under Construction Office sq ft in OZs (6th with 28.5 million sq ft)
-Most planned/prospective office sq ft in OZs (12th with 21.1 million sq ft)
- Phoenix also ranks high in self storage development if you’re interested in reading about that

https://azcommerce.maps.arcgis.com/a....1567%2C102100

Above are the opportunity zones in Arizona:
Yeah this OZ thing really is going to make a huge impact. And our state managed to get pretty much every downtown area listed as one.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
My daughter recently brought home a worksheet from her Girl Scouts meeting. It gives helpful examples of when to call 911 and when not to call that number. For example, the girls are told to call 911 if "my dad fell and is lying on the floor with his head bleeding" but not if "my sister took my favorite toy." It sounds like an adult version is needed.
Rational folks would be shocked at how often some can't figure out what 911 is for.

Here's one minor, but typical example-some guy called us at 3am because his refrigerator felt too warm in the rear(the coils). We asked him if considered unplugging it and calling an appliance repairman in the morning. All of a sudden he had a 'eureka moment' look in his eyes. While onscene we missed a shooting we would have been a minute away from. Next unit in was about 7 minutes away, giving quite a bit of time more for the victim to bleed out.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 8:15 PM

More Central Station News

http://www.orionprop.com/topfive/med...oenix-project/

Houston-based developer Medistar Corp. has announced plans to build a $231 million transit-oriented mixed-use project in Downtown Phoenix. The proposed project is on a ground lease with the city, and will include a 150-key InterContinental Hotel and restaurant, a 30-story 300-unit apartment complex, an 18-story student-housing tower with 600 beds, and ground-floor retail and office spaces. It goes up for City Council review next week, but there is already a lot of buzz about the development and the impact it could have on the Downtown Phoenix market.

“The timing was right because of high interest in Downtown Phoenix development, and the city once again offered this prime property for competitive development proposals. This site was offered several years ago, but the selected developer faced an internal challenge and withdrew from the project,” Christine Mackay, director of Phoenix community and economic development at the City of Phoenix, tells GlobeSt.com. “With time and economic surges in Phoenix, we were ready for a new proposal that benefits from this Main and Main location with the central multi-modal transit center at its heart. This is the right time for this project in Phoenix. We based our recommendation on the quality of the national proposals that we received and the great national partners that Medistar assembled for the project, including Greystar, POAG and Intercontinental. Medistar Corporation would have to speak to its impetus, but for the city of Phoenix, with all the development occurring, the time is right.”

Downtown Phoenix is rapidly growing and has one of the most active development pipelines in the Greater Phoenix market. However, this project is a little different. “The Central Station project brings a new combination of land uses into Downtown Phoenix,” says Mackay, director, Phoenix Community and Economic Development. “While Downtown has successful multiple use developments, Medistar Corp. proposes a unique mix of retail, office, rental residential units, student housing and hotel. Integrating this entire development over structured parking and public transit facilities creates a significant transit-oriented development for Downtown, and could be a model for future projects.”

This is the perfect location for an project that houses each asset class, because of the central location and access to transit. “Central Station fills needs in each of these market sectors. Its balanced design adds additional square footage into Downtown’s supply, while not overdeveloping one use over another. We believe this allows for a faster absorption into the market sectors,” Mackay says. “Long term, this project will likely generate new demand for services and uses on adjacent blocks. Its location is in the center of the nearby education, research, convention and office uses in the area.”

The location isn’t the only draw for Medistar. There is also tremendous demand in Downtown Phoenix, and despite the development activity, the new supply is being absorbed. “Our data shows that as new apartments open, demand is rapidly filling the developments. Our City Council wants to maintain a diverse supply of housing for all economic sectors within an easy commute of Downtown employment, and development of this scale helps accomplish that goal,” says Mackay, director, Phoenix Community and Economic Development. “The City and developer believe that the additional supply is needed, and with this unique combination of uses and location will be absorbed quickly.”

Medistar is likely to get approval next week. According to Mackay, there is support from City Council Aviation and Transportation subcommittee and the Citizen Transportation Commission. “The full Council will review the Medistar Corp. proposal at its April 17 meeting,” she says. “City Council will make the decision that they think is in the long-term best interest of the community.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 8:45 PM

I can't wait to see how downtown will look in the next 2 years. Good stuff all around.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:19 PM
Skyriser

So Medistar *knows* they're building a safe project that they're just going to sell later like every other damn building downtown.

Wouldnt want to "overdevelop" and make something cool or demonstrate a long-term investment, we certainly can't have that in Phoenix.

I'm disappointed in Mackay and the entire process. RFPs should have gone to long-term investments, not something that could go up on any other block.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
So Medistar *knows* they're building a safe project that they're just going to sell later like every other damn building downtown.

Wouldnt want to "overdevelop" and make something cool or demonstrate a long-term investment, we certainly can't have that in Phoenix.

I'm disappointed in Mackay and the entire process. RFPs should have gone to long-term investments, not something that could go up on any other block.
Curious what would you like more out of this project?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:29 AM

Kenect tower crane is up

Tower crane is up at Kenect and construction is already vertical.

They're moving was pretty fast, I saw the FAA approval for this crane come in just a few days ago:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Welp. I tried to say this when the renderings for Central Station from Medistar first came out and I stated how bland it was. Everyone jumped on me. Now ya know how I feel about this project. This should have been something better and more iconic. It should have been taller and more than another square box. This is why Phoenix will never have an iconic skyline as long as developers keep playing it safe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest