HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:50 PM

I just really want to see the new terminals and runway extensions happen. If we get some additional non-stops outside the US, great...but no need to fret about them, they will come if the demand is there.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 2:38 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Expansion of San Antonio International Airport hinges on securing massive amount of funds

Right now, I don't have a lot of confidence that this is going to move any faster than a sloth. A lot of times, in order to get federal dollars, you have to have a plan in place before actually receiving those dollars, but you can't have already started physical construction. Just getting approval can take at least a year for those dollars thanks to bureaucrats. The gates that are being added are going to totally cram people into these two relatively small terminals for 5+ years as it stands. With the Austin airport beyond capacity, my options for easy travel into the Austin/SA area are dwindling fast.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:01 PM

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro to push for more federal funds for San Antonio airport

With the additional gate in Terminal A and the additional 2 gates in Terminal B, the plan was to move all of American to a single terminal. Will AA be entirely in Terminal B once the gates are complete?

https://sanantonioreport.org/joaquin...tonio-airport/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogs3b12 View Post
U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro to push for more federal funds for San Antonio airport

With the additional gate in Terminal A and the additional 2 gates in Terminal B, the plan was to move all of American to a single terminal. Will AA be entirely in Terminal B once the gates are complete?

https://sanantonioreport.org/joaquin...tonio-airport/
That's correct. Southwest requested an additional gate on A and American wants all operations over on B, giving them I believe 6 gates on B and United 4. Not sure what's happening with the 2 gates being vacated by American on A, but I would imagine Southwest is taking them over, and the international gates will be a little more free for the increase in international traffic that the airport is seeing. Another interesting fact, a fire hydrant is being moved on the south part of A so that A1, which is very lightly used by Delta currently can accommodate larger aircraft. I've attached the latest construction summary below. Slides 6 and 7 detail the gate additions and slide 8 details the hydrant move.

Aviation Project Status

Last edited by texboy; Mar 23, 2022 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
That's correct. Southwest requested an additional gate on A and American wants all operations over on B, giving them I believe 6 gates on B and United 4. Not sure what's happening with the 2 gates being vacated by American on A, but I would imagine Southwest is taking them over, and the international gates will be a little more free for the increase in international traffic that the airport is seeing. Another interesting fact, a fire hydrant is being moved on the south part of A so that A1, which is very lightly used by Delta currently can accommodate larger aircraft. I've attached the latest construction summary below. Slides 6 and 7 detail the gate additions and slide 8 details the hydrant move.

Aviation Project Status
Interesting... I'm not sure why they'd need a bigger plane for a domestic flight, so I wonder if they have a Europe flight in the works already?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Interesting... I'm not sure why they'd need a bigger plane for a domestic flight, so I wonder if they have a Europe flight in the works already?
Even if that gate is generally occupied by a typical 737 or A320, there isn't much waiting room inside the terminal. I always figured that a widebody flight would fly out of Terminal B. More modern and more spacious. I guess we'll see what SAT has in the works.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Even if that gate is generally occupied by a typical 737 or A320, there isn't much waiting room inside the terminal. I always figured that a widebody flight would fly out of Terminal B. More modern and more spacious. I guess we'll see what SAT has in the works.
I don't think A1 would be able to accommodate a widebody either on the apron or hold room, but I could be wrong. My mind went to either an A321Neo or B752, which Delta already flies in daily (or used to pre-pandemic) on one of their Atlanta routes. A2 can already accommodate for that, so this could be interesting!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:48 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
I don't think A1 would be able to accommodate a widebody either on the apron or hold room, but I could be wrong. My mind went to either an A321Neo or B752, which Delta already flies in daily (or used to pre-pandemic) on one of their Atlanta routes. A2 can already accommodate for that, so this could be interesting!
^^^This. There is not enough room for a wide body simply due to apron space. I agree that they may be making a bit more room for newer, single aisle aircraft.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:

Current PBB alignment will not accommodate a wide body in Terminal B. Even if one could squeeze in, it would be a domestic flight. FIS facilities are in Terminal A (currently).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Interesting... I'm not sure why they'd need a bigger plane for a domestic flight...
A Wide body cannot fit in that apron space. Again, it's probably for a next generation single aisle jet (their wingspans is larger).

Quote:
...so I wonder if they have a Europe flight in the works already?
Don't get your hopes up. Additionally, a secure international arrivals corridor would need to be constructed to funnel departing passengers to the FIS station. And, there is still the challenge of lengthening a runway.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 10:52 AM

I was looking through the Wikipedia article for SAT... did Southwest cut a direct to Fort Lauderdale or am I tripping and we never had one to begin with?

Also side note, I'm extremely surprised we haven't picked up a direct to Burbank/Orange County yet.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
I was looking through the Wikipedia article for SAT... did Southwest cut a direct to Fort Lauderdale or am I tripping and we never had one to begin with?

Also side note, I'm extremely surprised we haven't picked up a direct to Burbank/Orange County yet.
SAT did have a direct to FTL pre pandemic. I believe there was also a direct to San Jose and Orange County. Anyone... please feel free to fact check me here.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:59 PM

My hope is JetBlue starting a direct to FLL, similar to AUS. More options to connections to the Caribbean/South America.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
SAT did have a direct to FTL pre pandemic. I believe there was also a direct to San Jose and Orange County. Anyone... please feel free to fact check me here.
Southwest used to have nonstop to OAK but I'm unsure about San Jose and Orange County.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 9:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
We definitely had the Fort Lauderdale one, I flew on it once haha

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 5:21 PM

Austin's airport is a mess right now, but how does it stack up to San Antonio's?

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...n-17057033.php

The last couple of weeks at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport have been chaotic. The convergence of SXSW, Circuit of the Americas, Dell Match Play, and other Austin-area events has led to over-crowded security lines, rental car nightmares, and a fuel-shortage at the airport. As ABIA gears up for its busiest year ever, we thought it apt to compare it to the closest major airport: San Antonio International Airport.

SAT has its own issues. It's in the midst of a small identity crisis. Being one of the least impressive airports in Texas, it is now following a $2.5 billion, 20-year master plan to improve its amenities, capacity, and operations across the board. It was also involved in a rather high-profile controversy over a certain Christian-leaning chicken sandwich franchise.

Here's how the two stack up.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Austin's airport is a mess right now, but how does it stack up to San Antonio's?

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...n-17057033.php

The last couple of weeks at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport have been chaotic. The convergence of SXSW, Circuit of the Americas, Dell Match Play, and other Austin-area events has led to over-crowded security lines, rental car nightmares, and a fuel-shortage at the airport. As ABIA gears up for its busiest year ever, we thought it apt to compare it to the closest major airport: San Antonio International Airport.

SAT has its own issues. It's in the midst of a small identity crisis. Being one of the least impressive airports in Texas, it is now following a $2.5 billion, 20-year master plan to improve its amenities, capacity, and operations across the board. It was also involved in a rather high-profile controversy over a certain Christian-leaning chicken sandwich franchise.

Here's how the two stack up.

I'd much rather SAT have AUS' growing pains! It's a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I'd much rather SAT have AUS' growing pains! It's a good thing.
I tend to disagree with this assessment. AUS isn't having growing pains at this point, its just full on pain. I fly into and out of AUS frequently and its become a nightmare even on their slower days. Not to get into another SAT v. AUS argument, but I've gotten to the point that if I'm flying in to visit my fam in NB, I'm starting to choose SAT bc the traffic flow into and out of the airport is still quick and security is nothing short of a breeze every time. Remember that alot of AUS' traffic comes from counties south of it, and getting a bad rep will cause people to drive elsewhere. Coupled with the fact SAT is relatively more ahead of the curve on their expansion plans vs. traffic count right now, over the long term this could be a very positive thing for SAT's numbers and route additions.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 8:11 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
AUS isn't having growing pains at this point, its just full on pain.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. ABIA is growing. Tremendously quick. And trying to meet this incredible demand one can get things mucked up from time-to-time. ABIA's "pains" are absolutely, 100%, associated with growth.

ABIA has a multi billion dollar expansion planned and already approved by the FAA (I'm not sure SAT has received FAA approval yet - but, I could be incorrect). And with regard to masterplans and funding, I believe the FAA has a cap on airport's growth projections. If so, SAT might be in a better situation here since ABIA's current and future growth should outpace the maximum projection allowed for masterplans and/or funding. And, SAT is growing at a much slower pace. A more manageable pace than that of its neighbor to the north.

Also, funding for these types of developments dried up in March 2020 (COVID) and has yet to really rebound (especially federal dollars). Thus, ABIA's expansion has been slow to begin. Nonetheless, there are several project underway and others about to begin in the coming months. Additionally, the airport was allocated more TSA agents (finally) by the federal government - with more CBP agents arriving soon as well.

In response to who uses the airport...yes, those living in counties south of it are apart of its catchment area. However, that number is not nearly as high as you may think.

Anyway. Overall, in the long run, ABIA will be just fine and one heck of a hub. And SAT will become a fine airport in its own right. Nobody should be arguing that both need help!

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Apr 12, 2022 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. ABIA is growing. Tremendously quick. And trying to meet this incredible demand one can get things mucked up from time-to-time. ABIA's "pains" are absolutely, 100%, associated with growth.

ABIA has a multi billion dollar expansion planned and already approved by the FAA (I'm not sure SAT has received FAA approval yet - but, I could be incorrect). And with regard to masterplans and funding, I believe the FAA has a cap on airport's growth projections. If so, SAT might be in a better situation here since ABIA's current and future growth should outpace the maximum projection allowed for masterplans and/or funding. And, SAT is growing at a much slower pace. A more manageable pace than that of its neighbor to the north.

Also, funding for these types of developments dried up in March 2020 (COVID) and has yet to really rebound (especially federal dollars). Thus, ABIA's expansion has been slow to begin. Nonetheless, there are several project underway and others about to begin in the coming months. Additionally, the airport was allocated more TSA agents (finally) by the federal government - with more CBP agents arriving soon as well.

In response to who uses the airport...yes, those living in counties south of it are apart of its catchment area. However, that number is not nearly as high as you may think.

Anyway. Overall, in the long run, ABIA will be just fine and one heck of a hub. And SAT will become a fine airport in its own right. Nobody should be arguing that both need help!
Not arguing with the funding part.

The catchment area actually stretches to SA, it is in fact a major part of AUS' customers. With the European flights that Austin has, you are in fact pulling quite alot of customers out of SA now.

There's no arguing its pain is associated with growth (duh), that was more of a statement that its just painful flying through there...and it is...I'm a frequent flyer through the airport. Austin flyers will need to brace for a crowded airport for the next 5 or so years. period. Its a reality check.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio