HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
One of my personal grievances: people who waste decently usable GMT400 stepside boxes

You still have it, and how much do you want for it? I may be interested in it (Are the interior steel panels rusted out...? That was the big flaw of the stepside boxes of that generation.)
I do.... had to remove my back fence to get it into my yard the inside of the box is pretty solid but definitely not rust free. Couple holes drilled into it for light bars etc. And on the opposite exterior it's rusted completely through along the bottom of where the steel wraps around the top rail.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...teLocale=en_CA

I would certainly take less, my Kijiji strategy is to never start very low.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 1:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd disagree with the ownership comment. In Quebec casse-croûtes are overwhelmingly owned by Québécois French Canadians and even in the Montreal area that group is fairly dominant.

Greek Canadians *are* disproportionately represented in the restaurant industry in Quebec, but mostly in the sit-down sector. They own Greek-style places of course but also many sports resto-bars, steakhouses, those breakfast-and-lunch-only places that close at 2 pm, and also probably own more Italian restaurants than people of Italian origin. I know at least 5-6 of these restaurants here in Gatineau that are owned by Greek Montrealers, and my kids have even for worked them at one point.
I would definitely corroborate this. (Although the Casse-Croute du Coin, where I spent way more time in my wild oats days than I should of, was owned by Greeks). The shacks by the side of the road in rural and small-town Quebec were invariably owned by Quebecois de souche.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 1:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
My grievance is with people who label others as stupid or tin hat wearers simply because they question what is being reported in the media, or forums, and seek truth and ask for further evidence or research simply to educate oneself. Personal experience with a friend has shown there is very little to no concern whatsoever for his health, therefore I question what the findings there are out there, considering it is a novel virus.
Very hard to understand what you are advocating here. People denying the reality or severity of the disease, after all that has happened, and after all the research (there is a ton of scientific research, and it should be pointed out that SARS was also a coronavirus) should absolutely be labeled as covidiots and tin hat wearers, just like those who willfully deny the link between smoking and cancer, or greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. They are nothing more than selfish, contemporary flat-earthers, and it is truly unfortunate that the Internet has allowed people advocating these positions to flourish.

On the other hand, would you have us believe that the anecdotal example of some friend at a hockey tournament who recovered from Coronavirus is a better representation of the facts, than the state of the current scientific literature on the coronavirus?

There have been many athletes that have contracted coronavirus. Most haven't died, but some have, and others report debilitating long-term effects.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/s...-athletes.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/healt...rnd/index.html
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...ested-positive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...complications/

Last edited by MolsonExport; Oct 2, 2020 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Very hard to understand what you are advocating here. People denying the reality or severity of the disease, after all that has happened, and after all the research (there is a ton of scientific research, and it should be pointed out that SARS was also a coronavirus) should absolutely be labeled as covidiots and tin hat wearers, just like those who willfully deny the link between smoking and cancer, or greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. They are nothing more than selfish, contemporary flat-earthers.

On the other hand, would you have us believe that the anecdotal example of some friend at a hockey tournament who recovered from Coronavirus is a better representation of the facts, than the state of the current scientific literature on the coronavirus?
To sum it up, because I dont have the ton of research that has been completed, I simply asked where the information is to better educate myself. The friend, who actually got it in over seas along with 90% of the rest of the team, recovered quite quickly... which is a case of my own limited personal experience, which I don't think can/should be discounted simply because others have had traumatic effects.

I think Covid is an entirely different situatoin compared to the link between smoking and cancer, or greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. I mean, just because SARS was a caronavirus, our health care professionals were giving the public contradicting messages from the beginning of quarantine right up to now. Mask/ no mas/ close border/ not to, etc. If they knew the COVID in the same way they know smoking/cancer and CO2/CC, I think they would have had a hard set of rules for COVID when it was first detected, let alone even having a vaccine... there are so many unknowns, even to professionals, that the uneducated on this subject do have the right to ask questions, and not necessarily be called stupid.

I guess to sum it up... is an individual more stupid to ask, or not to ask, questions and requesting more information regarding a given subject? And does that make them a tin hat wearer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Because it is guaranteed that many of these tin foil hat wearers will ignore the information that is out there, no matter how sound, no matter what the quantity of evidence, and no matter from whom it is coming from. They have drawn their line in the sand, and will defend their ignorant, selfish perspective, come hell or high water.

Others will simply feign ignorance on the grounds of not liking the strategy to combat the issue.

“I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus.”

The fucking internet has given the same size megaphone to the ignorant ass clowns as to has to the scientists and experts. Unfortunately a lot of people will hear only what they want to hear, and the ass clowns end up winning the war of public opinion, or at the very least, make a very bad situation many times worse given their penchant for obfuscation.

"I am not convinced that the earth is flat. I never saw the curve when I went up in an airplane!" "If the world is round, why don't the buildings fly off when it rotates? Don't let the experts tell you what is what!" "My grandfather smoked 4 packs a day and lived to 91 years of age!" "No matter what nature throws at us, humanity can always work itself out of a jam!" "We never landed on the Moon! It was a hoax, filmed by Stanley Kubrick! Look at this video analysis of The Shining, which proves everything!"

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Unfortunately we face all kinds of unknown or unavoidable risks in life. The rational response given limited resources isn't to operate off of worst-case scenarios of unknown risks but rather to try to reason from prior knowledge and keep things in perspective. If we hid anytime there were a threat we couldn't precisely nail down we'd never come out.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but I feel like you read a bunch of stuff into posts based on pattern matching and political "sides". My posts aren't part of some campaign to minimize covid. I'm just pointing out the limits of the research. The papers aren't necessarily wrong but they might not be replicated and they will become obsolete once better quality data is out, if it isn't already. Part of the scientific method is the idea that beliefs should be proportional to the evidence and should be revised as new evidence becomes available.

I'm not saying covid shouldn't be taken seriously. I've been conservative in what I do personally. But governments and individuals are faced with serious decisions with heavy costs on both sides. For example, does the single mother send her child to school or not? Should a 75 year old spend Christmas with family or in isolation? To make the right decisions you need to try to understand your exact risk, not just a worst-case scenario stripped of context and probability.
My wife and I both have autoimmune diseases as do members of both of our families. My brother in law is extremely immunocompromised and my mother recently suffered mini strokes. I have a child less than 2 years of age. The risks are real and I don’t have time to argue with anyone who downplays or insinuates that I’m not intelligent for taking it seriously.

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 2, 2020 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:02 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Because it is guaranteed that many of these tin foil hat wearers will ignore the information that is out there, no matter how sound, no matter what the quantity of evidence, and no matter from whom it is coming from. They have drawn their line in the sand, and will defend their ignorant, selfish perspective, come hell or high water.

Others will simply feign ignorance on the grounds of not liking the strategy to combat the issue.

“I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus.”

The fucking internet has given the same size megaphone to the ignorant ass clowns as to has to the scientists and experts. Unfortunately a lot of people will hear only what they want to hear, and the ass clowns end up winning the war of public opinion, or at the very least, make a very bad situation many times worse given their penchant for obfuscation.

"I am not convinced that the earth is flat. I never saw the curve when I went up in an airplane!" "If the world is round, why don't the buildings fly off when it rotates? Don't let the experts tell you what is what!" "My grandfather smoked 4 packs a day and lived to 91 years of age!" "No matter what nature throws at us, humanity can always work itself out of a jam!" "We never landed on the Moon! It was a hoax, filmed by Stanley Kubrick! Look at this video analysis of The Shining, which proves everything!"
Amen!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:

I agree too... I just thought I was being called out as stupid and tin hatted simply because I've given my experience with Covid, the results, as well as how I could be provided the plethora of unbiased information and studies.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:25 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I agree too... I just thought I was being called out as stupid and tin hatted simply because I've given my experience with Covid, the results, as well as how I could be provided the plethora of unbiased information and studies.
Seems disingenuous to me. Molson provided links and so did I. I never said a plethora of studies but a plethora of nasty side effects that are being recorded. Everything from covid toes, to young healthy people having aneurysms, to children developing heart disease and asymptomatic people having drastically decreased lung function. It’s all out there. No need for a peer reviewed journal to read about this occurring.

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 2, 2020 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Seems disingenuous to me. Molson provided links and so did I. I never said a plethora of studies but a plethora of nasty side effects that are being recorded. Everything from covid toes, to young healthy people having aneurysms, to children developing heart disease and asymptomatic people having drastically decreased lung function. It’s all out there. No need for a peer reviewed journal to read about this occurring.
You and Molson did provide links, after I genuinely asked, so thank you.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
You and Molson did provide links, after I genuinely asked, so thank you.
No problem!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 6:37 PM

On another note, is anyone else pissed that while Jimmy Fallon seems capable of going back into the studio and having guests on the Tonight Show, Stephen Colbert and Tevor Noah are cowering like little pussies in their basement?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 7:03 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
On another note, is anyone else pissed that while Jimmy Fallon seems capable of going back into the studio and having guests on the Tonight Show, Stephen Colbert and Tevor Noah are cowering like little pussies in their basement?
I don’t fault anyone who can for working from home. I continue to work from home in spite of the many challenges it poses. Every person has different risk assessments and comfort levels.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
No I am not pissed. Why the fuck would a rational person be annoyed at that?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 1:15 AM

Quote:
I would definitely corroborate this. (Although the Casse-Croute du Coin, where I spent way more time in my wild oats days than I should of, was owned by Greeks). The shacks by the side of the road in rural and small-town Quebec were invariably owned by Quebecois de souche.
Absolutely. It's basically automatic - any such "grease shack" is going to be owned/operated by an "old stock" Québécois.

Greeks will be in the business of (obviously) Greek restaurants, or else (often enough) Italian ones, including the cheaper version - pizza places.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
No I am not pissed. Why the fuck would a rational person be annoyed at that?
Because they’re entertainers. There’s no reason they can’t be in studio.

Speaking of rational people, what the fuck is wrong with Albertans? It’s bad enough they’re Canada’s biggest Trump supporters:
One-in-four Albertans would not get coronavirus vaccine: Poll
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...1ee866ff2/amp/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:27 AM

Quote:

Speaking of rational people, what the fuck is wrong with Albertans? It’s bad enough they’re Canada’s biggest Trump supporters:
Yep, lots of idiots here in Alberta.

What harm is done by entertainers doing so from home? Seems to me it's a good message, and if it works for their audience all power too them.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I do.... had to remove my back fence to get it into my yard the inside of the box is pretty solid but definitely not rust free. Couple holes drilled into it for light bars etc. And on the opposite exterior it's rusted completely through along the bottom of where the steel wraps around the top rail.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...teLocale=en_CA

I would certainly take less, my Kijiji strategy is to never start very low.
Last time I had the opportunity to buy a 88-98 stepside box, that one was $300... and I passed.

$800 is what my teal 1993 GMC Sierra cost me (another coincidence). It included the box... and the frame, the cab, the wheels, the axles, the interior, the 6.5 turbodiesel engine, the 4L80 slushbox, and all the other parts that make a complete truck.

Trucks are cheap in Quebec. I shopped for trucks in the USA, eventually bought one (a F-150 in Florida that stays there, my maintenance guy uses it when I'm not there) and I was shocked. Someone with nothing else to do could earn a decent living buying trucks in Quebec and selling them in the States.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:

If you actually read the article it shows that in fact only 39 per cent of Canadians surveyed say they would be vaccinated as soon as one was widely available, while 38 per cent say they would get one but will opt to wait and watch for side effects.

Jesus, it seems you straight up have a grievance with Alberta.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:31 AM

Quote:
If you actually read the article it shows that in fact only 39 per cent of Canadians surveyed say they would be vaccinated as soon as one was widely available, while 38 per cent say they would get one but will opt to wait and watch for side effects.

Jesus, it seems you straight up have a grievance with Alberta.
But the article says Albertans have the least intention of getting the vaccine...

That's pretty solid evidence to say that Alberta has the largest proportion of morons out of Canadian provinces, sadly. Same with the Trump support statistics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada