HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:36 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nothing beats cassecroute fries and burgers/hotdogs.
I'd always got to Restaurant Greenspot. My personal favourite. I'm sure Cassecroute is just as good, if not better.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
It would be impossibly to document anyways. Not sure why it bothers you so much though..
Because it is a ridiculous overreaction. Maybe because I've been working through the whole thing and going for walks on the seawall etc. When someone in Shaughnessy flees to the other side of the street at my approach I just wanted to start calling "Bring out yer dead, bring out yer dead"

We don't even have a documented case of transmission on transit in Canada as far as I know. Similarly, all those warning about potential exposure on aircraft have never been followed up with a report of anyone who has caught Covid on those flights.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:00 PM

One of my personal grievances: people who waste decently usable GMT400 stepside boxes

You still have it, and how much do you want for it? I may be interested in it (Are the interior steel panels rusted out...? That was the big flaw of the stepside boxes of that generation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
One of my personal grievances: people who waste decently usable GMT400 stepside boxes
.)
This is NOT a personal grievance that I could ever envision myself having.

See people? Lio and I aren't the same after all!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'd always got to Restaurant Greenspot. My personal favourite. I'm sure Cassecroute is just as good, if not better.
I wonder if MolsonEx was referring to a specific place called Cassecroûte or casse-croûte as the common name in Quebec French for any snack bar/chip stand/greasy spoon type of place.

Either one is a possibility.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wonder if MolsonEx was referring to a specific place called Cassecroûte or casse-croûte as the common name in Quebec French for any snack bar/chip stand/greasy spoon type of place.

Either one is a possibility.
casse-croûte as the common name in Quebec French for any snack bar/chip stand/greasy spoon type of place.

I've been to so many. I love the food (despite how unhealthy it is) and moreover the kitsch.

I did spend a lot of time here though:

cbc

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:14 PM

Yeah, I was going to point out that a "casse-croûte" means a shack (not necessarily a wooden one - some are actually in old trailers or old buses!) that serves basic cheap junk food, usually burgers/fries/hog-dogs.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:19 PM

Two "staples" of summer in my "alternate neck of the woods" (Bécancour) are 1) extremely loud Harleys passing all day long (even worse during Construction holidays) on Route 132 which is kind of the tourist alternative to the freeways for someone who's traveling but also wants to "enjoy the drive" rather than just take the freeway, and 2) the seasonal casse-croûte that the locals love, La Roulottes à Patates, which I think has been in continuous operation since the 1960s. ("The French Fries Trailer")

For a while, my Chevy truck was running on used frying oil from that place. Their discarded oil was much cleaner than the one from the one other greasy spoon place in town.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to point out that a "casse-croûte" means a shack (not necessarily a wooden one - some are actually in old trailers or old buses!) that serves basic cheap junk food, usually burgers/fries/hog-dogs.
For our less bilingual friends, quite literally it means "crust breaker", which is a derivative of the (universal) French expression "casser la croûte" i.e. to break the crust of a loaf of bread. But in actual fact the expression always means "to have a bite to eat".

In France, what Québécois call a "casse-croûte" most people would call "un snack". "Snack" in this case being the place your buy your snack, not the actual snack itself. (It's one of those false friends between French and English. That's why it's better to use the Québécois terms!)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Because it is a ridiculous overreaction. Maybe because I've been working through the whole thing and going for walks on the seawall etc. When someone in Shaughnessy flees to the other side of the street at my approach I just wanted to start calling "Bring out yer dead, bring out yer dead"

We don't even have a documented case of transmission on transit in Canada as far as I know. Similarly, all those warning about potential exposure on aircraft have never been followed up with a report of anyone who has caught Covid on those flights.
Being difficult to document =/= it doesn't exist.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
casse-croûte as the common name in Quebec French for any snack bar/chip stand/greasy spoon type of place.

I've been to so many. I love the food (despite how unhealthy it is) and moreover the kitsch.
I try to stay away myself though I can't say I am upset when the family or the gang wants to stop at one!

Google Maps says there are about 5 within a 3 km radius of my house. If I up that to 5 km there might be as many as a dozen.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:29 PM
arf

Quote:
I try to stay away myself though I can't say I am upset when the family or the gang wants to stop at one!
This would be my situation. How can I possibly say no to the kids? I mean really, how?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
This would be my situation. How can I possibly say no to the kids? I mean really, how?
At least you're far away from temptation in Pile O' Bones. Though I am sure there are at least a couple of good similar places there.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:38 PM

Here's the one I was talking about earlier:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Here's the one I was talking about earlier:

No lineup!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:43 PM

Wasn't open yet when the pic was taken (in early spring).

It gets towed out of that spot every fall, and is brought back in the spring. It's an actual trailer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:44 PM

Edit

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
For our less bilingual friends, quite literally it means "crust breaker", which is a derivative of the (universal) French expression "casser la croûte" i.e. to break the crust of a loaf of bread. But in actual fact the expression always means "to have a bite to eat".

In France, what Québécois call a "casse-croûte" most people would call "un snack". "Snack" in this case being the place your buy your snack, not the actual snack itself. (It's one of those false friends between French and English. That's why it's better to use the Québécois terms!)
English equivalent “to break bread”.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Wasn't open yet when the pic was taken (in early spring).

It gets towed out of that spot every fall, and is brought back in the spring. It's an actual trailer.
So it's seasonal. A majority of ours are year-round operations. Some even have heated waiting areas with those soft cover awning thingies.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:50 PM

Yeah, I said in my earlier post about it that it was seasonal, and that it was one of the highlights/features of summer in that little town, as it is well loved, been continuously operating since the 1950s, and is only available a few months per year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada