HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Your second point about government jobs is probably true, but unrelated to WFH. There is less of an incentive to show up early and kick ass, but there's also fewer perks and career growth potential. Public sector employees don't get bonuses or any of the office perks you hear about companies using to lure employees back to the office. They're often paid less than the private sector, promotional opportunities are fewer, and office conditions are pretty bare bones. It's a trade off for increased stability and usually generous benefits and pensions.
I don't agree with this; my mother worked for the federal government (she's been retired now for many years) and she had many opportunities for career advancement and opportunities for different positions. And her pay just kept increasing. Also, when she worked weekends, she got paid weekend differential; and on top of that, since she worked a lot of evenings, she got nighttime differential on top of the weekend differential if she worked weekends. So, there are incentives to work weekends and at night. And now she has a very generous pension, and some years ago she cashed out her TSP (federal workers' equivalent of a 401K).

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions