HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 10:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Horn honking is so ubiquitous in Chicago that one of my wife's friends who grew up in small town Wisconsin once quipped:

"when I first moved to Chicago I was kinda shocked at how all of the cars seemed to honk their horns at each other all of the time. I thought it was being used as some sort of sonar navigation system."

It's funny, but I don't percieve a horn honk as rude. It's just a way of letting other motorists know "hey, we're driving here!".

Another classic example of the subjectivity of rudeness.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
It's funny, but I don't percieve a horn honk as rude. It's just a way of letting other motorists know "hey, we're driving here!".

Another classic example of the subjectivity of rudeness.
Do it less than 1 second after the light turns green and it's objectively rude. After that it becomes subjective how much longer you are willing to wait, but expecting an instantaneous reaction is unreasonable.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 10:35 PM

I can't decide if I think LA is a rude city or not. It generally feels lawless at times-- people routinely totally disobeying traffic laws, all sorts of homeless shenanigans, public drug use, etc., but not necessarily rude. People just tend to mind their own business here more than anything, and they're not very confrontational. Unless something is directly affecting you, people generally just keep it moving in a live and let live sort of way.

In Cincinnati (and probably lots of smaller cities in the Midwest) there's an expectation to say hello to people you walk by on the sidewalk or on a path in the park or whatever. That shit drives me crazy and feels really intrusive. I much prefer the cool, standoffishness of LA in that regard. But my overall feeling is people in LA are not confrontational enough to be overtly 'rude' in the NYC/Philly/Boston sort of way, but also not interested enough to be fake nice in that Midwestern/Southern way.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I personally give a 4 count for this, with the horn on 4. I hate beeping but hate missing lights more, and it's the person in front's responsibility to the rest of us to MOVE! But yeah, I have also gotten beeped at in under a second, which makes me want to get out of the car and rip the person's head off.

You forgot the part about leaving a little gift in the toppled head.

Any way you look at it, rudeness is an underappreciated trait in people. Whenever you encounter rudeness, it’s wise to counter it with equal fervor.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 1:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I actually tend to wait a very long time to honk the horn at someone that's asleep at the light. But that will get me honked from behind by someone else and than a whole train of honking. Doesn't happen often. But I do get antsy at left lane hoggers. They are just sub-humans... the people that do that. I just don't get why? What kind of person does that. And what kind of person actually does 25 mph especially when there is a line of folks behind them. That should be a cue to go a little faster. Very sad!

But I do want to know what leads to slow driving in the left lane and not moving at all even if there is a line of close following cars behind you. Were they beaten as a child? Did they always get 10th place? Has to be a motive for this... because its not normal or natural!

You could probally shave 10 points off a cities rudeness factor if folks just moved to the right if someone wants to go faster. Its the right thing to do. It's what Jesus would of done, moved to the right and let the horse pass by.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I actually tend to wait a very long time to honk the horn at someone that's asleep at the light. But that will get me honked from behind by someone else and than a whole train of honking. Doesn't happen often. But I do get antsy at left lane hoggers. They are just sub-humans... the people that do that. I just don't get why? What kind of person does that. And what kind of person actually does 25 mph especially when there is a line of folks behind them. That should be a cue to go a little faster. Very sad!

But I do want to know what leads to slow driving in the left lane and not moving at all even if there is a line of close following cars behind you. Were they beaten as a child? Did they always get 10th place? Has to be a motive for this... because its not normal or natural!

You could probally shave 10 points off a cities rudeness factor if folks just moved to the right if someone wants to go faster. Its the right thing to do. It's what Jesus would of done, moved to the right and let the horse pass by.

Ah Jesus!

I knew he was in the works.

I figure that if Jesus screamed at the venders of tchotchkes at the temple, he probably managed to flip a bird at the honking mule driver behind him. He left his mark over two millenia, you can't do that without no hutzpah.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 5:29 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Timely for this meme I saw trending yesterday lol:

Holds partially true through the results of the survey
Omg when the southerners learned I was from CA.... (the northern nice part).
I had to tell so many people that "no, I'm from the Sacramento area" even though my town is considered bay area.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Rude and Polite seem like odd metrics to me. As pointed out above, at least some of the "rude" identifiers seem like things that would be commonplace in a big city with lots of forced human interaction. You just don't have the time to acknowledge it all.

But brash (rude?) places can be extremely friendly. Been in bars in East Coast cities and have had people tell me their life story within 15 minutes of meeting. Meanwhile those that are seen as polite can be extremely cold. Yeah they'll say please and thank you, but it ends there. Canada is notorious for this, though some places are better than others. The West Coast in general has always felt cold to me - smaller towns notwithstanding. While I enjoyed my visit a lot I found Portland to be fairly standoffish.
The overlap between niceness, politeness, and friendliness is interesting. It invites a kind of zero-sum logic, where polite people have to be colder or secretly assholes, but that doesn't bear out. These are layers of familiarity. Like a cake, the nice custard in the middle might soak up into the polite cake above, or saturate the friendly cake below, or not. It can be too much--saccharine and soggy; it can be dry and tasteless. Sometimes the custard is so scant, it's hard to parse politeness and genuine friendliness. Sometimes the cake is a rude but nice pie.

I get a lot of Germans (and others here) telling me how nice Canadians are. My take was always that they just hadn't met enough Canadians. But on my recent trip back, I'll be damned: Canadians are really nice. Even an old friend living in Australia confirmed on her recent trip home--Canadians, while not as in-your-face friendly as Australians, are nicer.

Maybe this is something best seen in contrast to the frosty, repressed, and arrogant Germans, but Canadians seemed open, patient, helpful, well-adjusted, and generally enamoured with each other. Even when dealing with some bonkers flight delays, everyone took things in stride and stayed nice.

Germans are slow to anger, but when problems pile up they go from zero to Gestapo in an instant. A four-hour flight delay would have seen someone crack, kicking the air like a frustrated child, screaming about unverschämtheit--everyone else would look on with icey eyes, maybe snap at each other. The English are fragile and prone to bad-apple behaviour--someone starts with the passive-aggressive whining at the first sign of a problem and gets everyone else grumpy. Americans are self-absorbed and prone to panic, but once they understand they aren't alone in a situation they become gracious, chummy, and prove themselves to be fundamentally very nice.

This is just one scenario, but within it, Canadians and Germans are polite, Americans and English, rude. But Germans and English are the assholes; Canadians and Americans are nice.

But are Canadians actually your friends, buddy? I've found Canadians harder to make friends with. Germans are comfortable with being friendly acquaintances in a way that I don't know that Canadians easily handle. Germans will invite you over for dinner; maybe you'll meet up again, maybe you won't. If you don't talk for a year, that's fine, you can still catch up and hang out again. Canadians hold back from this kind of association like, "shit, will I have to invite this person to my wedding?" If you haven't talked to someone for a year they may as well be dead to you. God forbid you run into them anywhere but a bar.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Timely for this meme I saw trending yesterday lol:

Holds partially true through the results of the survey
Not true, gross generalization. San Diego is #2 in niceness but the map puts it in the mean mean quadrent. Map is bogus. Although I must admit there might be something to the south "acts nice, is mean" since they spend the least on social services per capita as a rule.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 2, 2022 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I personally give a 4 count for this, with the horn on 4. I hate beeping but hate missing lights more, and it's the person in front's responsibility to the rest of us to MOVE! But yeah, I have also gotten beeped at in under a second, which makes me want to get out of the car and rip the person's head off.
This is reasonable. In New York some drivers will lay on the horn the instant that the light turns green. It doesn't even give the person in front time to take their foot off the brake after the light change. It's extremely annoying which is why some areas of the city have fines for excessive honking.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
This is one of my biggest driving pet peeves as well. It's way too common around here in NY and NJ, but California is the worst place for it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 4:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This is one of my biggest driving pet peeves as well. It's way too common around here in NY and NJ, but California is the worst place for it.
I can imagine. It's something about SUV's with NY plates too. For some reason, large Suburban's or Chevy Tahoe's with NY plates are the worst offenders. Same with Minivans driven by Hasidic folks in Brooklyn. Just terrible stuff. Minivans in general with NY plates.

Now in NJ, vehicles with North Carolina plates like your Honda minivans are the worse offenders IMO. Anytime you tend to see a beaten up, scratched minivan with North Carolina plates in NJ, 95% chance its driven by some illegal. Also cars with blown out windows with a black garbage bag as a cover are culprits too. Avoid those type of vehicles.

Now in terms of reckless, the cheating girlfriend car, the Nissan Altima, avoid those. Half the time they are texting and not aware of the surroundings.

You also have on the Turnpike, truckers who milk the clock. The one's that go the minimum, because of "Safety", that do 45 in a 65. Those folks are milking the clock. It's all bullshit with those folks.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 5:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Every time I see a Tesla in the Bay Area, 9x out of 10, they are doing at least 10 under the speed limit. I've honked at more Model 3's than any other car for just sitting there at a light. Well over the four second rule. In Houston, if you were behind a Corolla, you're going at least 15 under the speed limit.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 5:25 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Nah, Philly is rude as shit. The moment you don't floor it the nanosecond the light turns green, you have half the Delaware Valley honking at you. I absolutely love Philly but it's not getting marks for being a welcoming pleasant place. Now NYC is not as rude as its perceived to be but Philly earns every bit of theirs. The City of Brotherly Shove...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
I can imagine. It's something about SUV's with NY plates too. For some reason, large Suburban's or Chevy Tahoe's with NY plates are the worst offenders. Same with Minivans driven by Hasidic folks in Brooklyn. Just terrible stuff. Minivans in general with NY plates.

Now in NJ, vehicles with North Carolina plates like your Honda minivans are the worse offenders IMO. Anytime you tend to see a beaten up, scratched minivan with North Carolina plates in NJ, 95% chance its driven by some illegal. Also cars with blown out windows with a black garbage bag as a cover are culprits too. Avoid those type of vehicles.
In the tristate, plates from Southern states almost always means locals cheating on their registration & insurance. They register via Aunt Mary's house in the Carolinas. Either that, or Southerners are for some reason taking up half the parking spaces in the Bronx.

And yeah, minivans with NY/NJ plates - avoid. Insane drivers, probably with a gaggle of screaming kids in the back.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:22 AM

An example I remember encountering in Boston was the cop who yelled at me for not stepping into traffic while the pedestrian crosswalk sign said "stop". He told me no one ever obeys the light. Wonder why they even have the lights?

When I had dinner at the hotel on that same trip, the waiter never said "hello" or "thank you" and never even hinted at a smile. When I gave him no tip, he followed me out the door and asked me what my problem was.

I would say those were isolated examples, but similar rudeness occurred on every business trip. I never experienced anything like that in NYC. Mind you, these were service people, so maybe that's the deal. I only have known one resident from that area (from Reading) and he was super friendly.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Every time I see a Tesla in the Bay Area, 9x out of 10, they are doing at least 10 under the speed limit. I've honked at more Model 3's than any other car for just sitting there at a light. Well over the four second rule. In Houston, if you were behind a Corolla, you're going at least 15 under the speed limit.
For a car that can accelerate to 60 in 3 seconds, they’re the slowest car on the bay area highway, along with the Prius. I wonder if all of them just have it on self-driving mode.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:54 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

Now in terms of reckless, the cheating girlfriend car, the Nissan Altima, avoid those. Half the time they are texting and not aware of the surroundings.

You also have on the Turnpike, truckers who milk the clock. The one's that go the minimum, because of "Safety", that do 45 in a 65. Those folks are milking the clock. It's all bullshit with those folks.
Hilarious

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:55 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The overlap between niceness, politeness, and friendliness is interesting. It invites a kind of zero-sum logic, where polite people have to be colder or secretly assholes, but that doesn't bear out. These are layers of familiarity. Like a cake, the nice custard in the middle might soak up into the polite cake above, or saturate the friendly cake below, or not. It can be too much--saccharine and soggy; it can be dry and tasteless. Sometimes the custard is so scant, it's hard to parse politeness and genuine friendliness. Sometimes the cake is a rude but nice pie.

I get a lot of Germans (and others here) telling me how nice Canadians are. My take was always that they just hadn't met enough Canadians. But on my recent trip back, I'll be damned: Canadians are really nice. Even an old friend living in Australia confirmed on her recent trip home--Canadians, while not as in-your-face friendly as Australians, are nicer.

Maybe this is something best seen in contrast to the frosty, repressed, and arrogant Germans, but Canadians seemed open, patient, helpful, well-adjusted, and generally enamoured with each other. Even when dealing with some bonkers flight delays, everyone took things in stride and stayed nice.

Germans are slow to anger, but when problems pile up they go from zero to Gestapo in an instant. A four-hour flight delay would have seen someone crack, kicking the air like a frustrated child, screaming about unverschämtheit--everyone else would look on with icey eyes, maybe snap at each other. The English are fragile and prone to bad-apple behaviour--someone starts with the passive-aggressive whining at the first sign of a problem and gets everyone else grumpy. Americans are self-absorbed and prone to panic, but once they understand they aren't alone in a situation they become gracious, chummy, and prove themselves to be fundamentally very nice.

This is just one scenario, but within it, Canadians and Germans are polite, Americans and English, rude. But Germans and English are the assholes; Canadians and Americans are nice.

But are Canadians actually your friends, buddy? I've found Canadians harder to make friends with. Germans are comfortable with being friendly acquaintances in a way that I don't know that Canadians easily handle. Germans will invite you over for dinner; maybe you'll meet up again, maybe you won't. If you don't talk for a year, that's fine, you can still catch up and hang out again. Canadians hold back from this kind of association like, "shit, will I have to invite this person to my wedding?" If you haven't talked to someone for a year they may as well be dead to you. God forbid you run into them anywhere but a bar.
Also hilarious

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
For a car that can accelerate to 60 in 3 seconds, they’re the slowest car on the bay area highway, along with the Prius. I wonder if all of them just have it on self-driving mode.
That, or the typical consumer of a Tesla is overly cautious.

I wanna say the latter is a large portion of it.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions