HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 10:22 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Probably why so many of them are moving to cheaper areas either within California (Sacramento/Central Valley) or out of state (Texas).
Yup. My rent, pre-pandemic, was 2400 in the dub c (Walnut Creek) and my mortgage is less than half of that up here. You could get 50 acres for 1/4 the cost of a bay area house.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The Bay Area is quietly wealthy. Although for many, even those with money have relatively low purchasing power. Income tied up in housing and CA's overall cost of living. It was going to be $800 just to register my car here...I renewed my TX plates instead for a 10th of cost. I don't know how people do it here.
This is a big part of the reason my brother and his family left CA for Taxachusetts of all places. Their overall tax (and fees!) burden is down a huge chunk, and they're still making 90% of what they made in The Bay.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
The Bay Area is quietly wealthy. Although for many, even those with money have relatively low purchasing power. Income tied up in housing and CA's overall cost of living. It was going to be $800 just to register my car here...I renewed my TX plates instead for a 10th of cost. I don't know how people do it here.
800 bucks?? Fancy car? Smog repairs? WTH?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
800 bucks?? Fancy car? Smog repairs? WTH?
It's $35 a year in PA.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 6:55 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It's $35 a year in PA.
It's going to cost more for out of state vehicles to be registered here for the first year. It's an instance of "the other" paying taxes and fees, so Californians are ok with it. It's like the rental car or hotel fees being high...great way to make money. It's a shame JMac won't be helping our massively huge surplus for the next fiscal year.
If he pays $800 a year he'd have to have a NICE car/truck/SUV.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
It's going to cost more for out of state vehicles to be registered here for the first year. It's an instance of "the other" paying taxes and fees, so Californians are ok with it. It's like the rental car or hotel fees being high...great way to make money. It's a shame JMac won't be helping our massively huge surplus for the next fiscal year.
If he pays $800 a year he'd have to have a NICE car/truck/SUV.
If I remember to, I'll ask my sister and her hubby if their first year moving back to CA from HI, if they had to pay a high registration fee.

My own car registration last year was $276 for a 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback.

For those who don't know, car registration in CA usually goes down every year; the older the car, the cheaper the registration---although, if your car is older than 8 years (though 1975 and older model years are exempt), you are subject to a smog check every other year, which costs money, and if you don't pass (often places don't charge for the smog check if you don't pass), you have to get whatever needs fixing fixed. Once you do pass, you get a certificate which the DMV needs to renew your registration. So if I still have my current car in 2028, it'll be getting its first smog check then.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:35 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
If I remember to, I'll ask my sister and her hubby if their first year moving back to CA from HI, if they had to pay a high registration fee.

My own car registration last year was $276 for a 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback.

For those who don't know, car registration in CA usually goes down every year; the older the car, the cheaper the registration---although, if your car is older than 8 years (though 1975 and older model years are exempt), you are subject to a smog check every other year, which costs money, and if you don't pass (often places don't charge for the smog check if you don't pass), you have to get whatever needs fixing fixed. Once you do pass, you get a certificate which the DMV needs to renew your registration. So if I still have my current car in 2028, it'll be getting its first smog check then.
Smog check time is always a nervous time for those of us that own older (and modified) cars.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Here in TX, your MR2 would be an antique vehicle and less stringent emissions standard. I still have my old truck in TX and I don't think even check but the basics now. The car is a 2016 Acura. Nice when new but still a six year old car.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 6:30 PM

Just an FYI, yeah, according to my sister, when she and her husband moved back to California from Hawaii back in 2012, they had to pay high registration fees for their cars; something about having to pay the difference in taxes or something (she told me this in a text).

But then of course after a year of residency, their CA registrations dropped down to normal levels.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 6:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Just an FYI, yeah, according to my sister, when she and her husband moved back to California from Hawaii back in 2012, they had to pay high registration fees for their cars; something about having to pay the difference in taxes or something (she told me this in a text).

But then of course after a year of residency, their CA registrations dropped down to normal levels.
Which is stupid. I already paid taxes on that car to the state where I bought it from...six years ago. Double dipping on taxes you already paid is asinine. If I have to register in CA, I'll say the car is worth $5. That's what we used to when we bought a used car and registered; say you bought it for a $1.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:06 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Which is stupid. I already paid taxes on that car to the state where I bought it from...six years ago. Double dipping on taxes you already paid is asinine. If I have to register in CA, I'll say the car is worth $5. That's what we used to when we bought a used car and registered; say you bought it for a $1.
Well our property taxes are lower than Texas, so that's one reason why. You might get that back the next time we have a surplus anyway (it's required by law).
Muh truck was $400 for the annual registration.
Quote:

I was able to get a waiver due to my employer when I moved back from Georgia, but since it was not made for CA I always had to get it smogged. Which is ok, since as you know there's hella smog and it has been reduced thanks to these programs.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
This is by city proper.

I found the number of jobs in the 50-mile radius around each of these cities and multiplied that by the annualized earnings per job in that 50-mile radius.

For geeks like me.

Total Annualized Earnings for All Jobs in a 50-mile radius , Q4 2021
New York $964.9 billion
San Francisco $594.1 billion
Los Angeles $541.8 billion
Boston $351.9 billion
Chicago $351.4 billion
Washington DC $311.5 billion
Philadelphia $299.3 Billion
Dallas $286.4 billion
Houston $234.5 billion
Seattle $229.5 billion
Atlanta $206.9 billion
Denver $154.3 billion
Phoenix $153.1 billion
Detroit $151.7 billion
Minneapolis $146.9 billion
Miami $145.1 billion
San Diego $123.0 billion
Orlando $120.5 billion
Tampa $112.7 billion
Sacramento $107.4 billion
Cleveland $102.2 billion
Austin $102.1 billion
Hartford $101.9 billion
Charlotte $97.3 billion
Cincinnati $95.8 billion
Salt Lake City $90.4 billion
Raleigh $87.9 billion
St Louis $87.4 billion
Pittsburgh $81.9 billion
Indianapolis $81.2 billion
Nashville $79.1 billion
Columbus $78.0 billion
Kansas City $73.7 billion
Milwaukee $72.3 billion
San Antonio $69.0 billion
Las Vegas $63.3 billion
Grand Rapids $48.9 billion
Jacksonville $47.1 billion
Memphis $44.0 billion
Virginia Beach $41.7 billion
Birmingham $40.8 billion
Richmond $40.6 billion
Oklahoma City $39.7 billion
Fresno $36.9 billion
Buffalo $36.0 billion
Rochester $32.5 billion
Honolulu $28.3 billion
Tulsa $28.2 billion
Tucson $22.7 billion

https://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

I posted a total metro personal income thread years ago and San Antonio was ranked much higher and with one of the highest percentages for overall income growth. I don't see how it would shrink especially with all the phenomenal growth over the past decade.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 5:06 PM

I'm surprised Hartford @ nearly 102 billion is even with cities lite Charlotte, Austin and Cincinnati. Despite it being a state capital would have never guessed it kept such company. I suspect that 50 mile radius must impinge upon the NYC metro a little.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
I'm surprised Hartford @ nearly 102 billion is even with cities lite Charlotte, Austin and Cincinnati. Despite it being a state capital would have never guessed it kept such company. I suspect that 50 mile radius must impinge upon the NYC metro a little.
Well, yeah. Hartford to NYC is completely urbanized. The New Haven-Springfield corridor is a solid line of development, and none of it is even in the NY CSA, once you get out of New Haven County.

And like much of New England, it isn't even sprawl, per se. More like older mill towns and university towns strung along highways and railways.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 3:47 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
The insurance industry.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 4:15 AM

Quote:
You're getting a nibble of the NYC CSA at 50 miles in parts of Fairfield and New Haven counties, but not Stamford - which is where most of Connecticut's economic contribution to the NYC metro comes from. And is basically the only growing, dynamic part of the entire state.

Instead, you're getting most of the Springfield MA MSA, including Amherst and Northampton (both at 50 miles). Plus, non-Fairfield County Connecticut is sneaky rich. They must be coasting on residual wealth built up until the 70s and their legacy corporate base must still have lots of gas left in the tank. Insurance makes a lot of money.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions