HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:32 PM
BANNED

^^^

Quote:
Friday, April 18, 2008
Gladstone seeking space in neighboring S.F. building
San Francisco Business Times - by Ron Leuty

The J. David Gladstone Institutes is negotiating to take 10,000 square feet more in Mission Bay as it lands research deals with pharmaceutical and biotech companies.

"We simply need more space for our translational research," said Gladstone President Robert Mahley.

The new space would increase Gladstone's footprint at Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc.-developed 1700 Owens St.

Gladstone already has a research deal with Merck Research Laboratories, an Alzheimer's Disease partnership housed in 6,000 square feet at 1700 Owens, and over the past few months has struck HIV research pacts with Gilead Sciences Inc. of South San Francisco and JT Pharma of Japan.

Mahley expects Gladstone to win more research contracts in the coming months.

But such corporate-sponsored translational research -- aimed at turning academic discoveries into commercial therapeutics -- is a double-edged sword. The deals unlock an increasingly key funding mechanism for many nonprofit research organizations in an era of leveled-off National Institutes of Health grants. Yet each deal typically requires separate space, Mahley said, to ensure the confidentiality of lab findings.

"The labs in that space can run differently than they can in our basic science lab," Mahley said.

Gladstone will recruit researchers from the biotech industry to work on some of the new projects, he added, and the institutes could move into the new space in October.

An affiliate of the University of California, San Francisco, Gladstone consists of three research institutes centered on cardiovascular disease, virology and immunology, and neurological disease.

Gladstone's six-story, 189,000-square-foot home -- next door at 1650 Owens St. -- was financed with $145 million in state-supported revenue bonds and completed in 2004. It also leases space to Five Prime Therapeutics Inc.

At the time, the building consolidated several Gladstone locations in the city into one space.

Steve Richardson, senior vice president and Bay Area regional market director for Alexandria, would not comment about a potential Gladstone deal.

A Gladstone-Alexandria deal would put the 163,000-square-foot 1700 Owens near capacity. Alexandria President James Richardson told analysts in February that 96 percent of the building was leased or committed at the end of last year, and the Northern California chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society plans to move in August to 5,400 square feet on the ground floor.

rleuty@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4939
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:24 PM

Thanks for the update...there were rumors that the Gladstone was shopping for space, but it wasn't clear why. Their building was built to allow them to expand from 300 employees at the time of the move to 500 eventually, so it seemed odd to me that they wanted external space already. Of course, Five Prime takes up one floor of Gladstone's building, but I thought things would have been planned so that they'd move out when Gladstone needed the space.

But this makes more sense...Gladstone partnerships with pharma/biotech companies that are more amenable to have separate space from the main group of researchers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The east end (next to Radiance) is done, but still fenced off. West of there it didn't look started yet, but I didn't look that closely.
FYI, this is what it looks like:

I agree with WildCowboy that they will probably open this section once the construction ends at Radiance I and the commercial building next door.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:38 AM
BANNED

^^^That's PURTY. Do you see that when you drive down Third St.?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:07 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I don't think so. I think only that first block next to Terry Francois Blvd. (the vantage point from which this was taken) is done. WildCowboy would know for sure.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 5:20 AM

I think it looks nice. Has any progress been made on radiance two? i.e have there been any workers on site lately?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:00 AM

Nice shot...thanks for the vantage point. That park has literally been ready for use for years now, but it's remained fenced off. Guess they think it's worth it to save the expense of patrolling and doing maintenance on it rather than opening it up. That has to change as soon as people start moving in right across the street.

Not much is visible from Third...you can see some of the treetops, but that's about it. The block immediately east of Third is still a big drainage pond. You have to look beyond that to see any of this completed portion.

Nothing much new on Radiance Phase II since piledriving wrapped up several months ago. They finished pouring the sidewalk along Third Street there a week or so ago and I saw some excavation going on around some of the piles at the southwest corner of the site last week...I assumed it was utility work or something, as it didn't seem large-scale enough to be actual construction.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I just happen to have a shot of a similar spot, this one in the northeast portion:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:41 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I forgot to add that I talked with one of the sales people at Radiance and she said that they would complete phase II within two years. So I think they will give that more attention as soon as they complete phase I.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 3:44 AM

Hmm...your shot shows some excavation around the piles at the northwest corner. I hadn't see that before. They're definitely doing something, but it's not much yet.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:43 PM

sorry a little off topic:

its gonna be weird when jelly's isnt in the middle of nowhere anymore. actually quite sadly, it isnt even in the model of either proposal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Three development teams (Kenwood Investments, San Francisco Giants, and Build Inc.) will be moving forward to the RFP phase for the development of Seawall Lot (SWL) 337. And while it’s almost certain that they wouldn’t have been invited to move forward anyway, the Federal Development team officially withdrew themselves from consideration.

The official Request for Proposals (RFP) should be published mid-May and will “provide approximately three months for the development teams to the prepare and submit their RFP proposals.” Scoring of the RFP’s will be based 60% on the Design and Development Program and 40% on the Financial Proposal and will likely take between 90 and 120 days.

And in moving from RFQ to RFP, emphasis and addendums have been added to the Development Objectives and Criteria. Two that stood out: 1. Minimum size for contiguous major open space, 5 acres at the northeast area of the site, and 2. Consideration for up to three "slender towers of 300 feet or more, to create an inspiring architectural identity."

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

What's with various parts of the San Francisco planning and development establishment all of a sudden seeing the "inspiring architectural identity" conferred by towers? And does the fact that 3 towers "of 300 feet or more" are now a part of the RFP mean that Seawall Lot 337 will deserve a thread in the highrises section once they settle on a design?

PS: I said, "shortened it will stay--you can bet on that (unless there were to be a radical change in the make-up of the Board of Supervisors and SF's delegation to the state legislature.)" I officially eat my words.

Last edited by BTinSF; Apr 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:31 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm sure you don't mind, given the circumstances.
I'm more shocked by this:

"Scoring of the RFP’s will be based 60% on the Design and Development Program and 40% on the Financial Proposal..."

PS: Have you started packing yet?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:27 AM
BANNED

^^^I pack over time. I'm maybe half packed. But I have to be careful and hide everything in the spare bedroom. If my cat sees packed luggage, she pees on it as a way of telling me she doesn't like trips.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
There's a piledriver just to the west of the Diller Building (Block 17 A/B) driving test piles for the Cardiovascular Research Building. Scheduled to open in late 2010.
. . .

Quote:
Friday, April 25, 2008
UCSF breaks ground on $254M heart institute
San Francisco Business Times - by Ron Leuty

The literal heart of Mission Bay is beating with the rhythm of pile drivers.

Test piles are being driven for the $254 million, 236,000-square-foot Cardiovascular Research Institute at the University of California, San Francisco. A formal groundbreaking is set for May 7 with completion scheduled for early 2011.

The five-story, L-shaped building -- behind the under-construction Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Institute that faces Third Street -- eventually will house 48 principal investigators, including more than 20 new hires, said Dr. Shaun Coughlin, director of the Cardiovascular Research Institute. Recruiting efforts will begin this fall.

"We'll make a major effort probably two years before the building opens," Coughlin said.

The new building will bring together researchers scattered to different offices at UCSF's Mission Bay and Parnassus campuses. Plus, it will give Coughlin and his team an opportunity to link eight research themes, from metabolism, obesity and metabolic disease to developmental biology and congenital anomalies.

"Proximity counts," Coughlin said, "and having different skill sets working together and regular chance interactions has value."

The building will include an outpatient clinic focused on imaging, genetic testing, biomarkers and other predictive and preventive efforts. That, Coughlin said, will fit with UCSF's planned $1.66 billion women's, children's and cancer hospital at Mission Bay as well as with the UCSF-affiliated Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease.

"It's a way to have a physician-scientist right in the mix," said Coughlin, who helped discover how thrombin, an enzyme key to blood clotting, works on a cellular level. "It's a way of maintaining focus on disease."

The 50-year-old Cardiovascular Research Institute, which Coughlin has headed since 1997, has an annual budget of $30 million.

The new building will increase the institute's costs but grant revenues as well, Coughlin said. "That's the expectation."

While construction prep work continues and the ceremonial groundbreaking is set for the new structure, financing of the building is vague. Nearly $190 million of the building's cost is to come from philanthropy, but the university has announced only a couple of pledges. That includes a $50 million gift from Atlantic Philanthropies -- the charity of Duty Free Shoppes co-founder Charles Feeney -- that was announced in March 2007.

Vice Chancellor Bruce Spaulding talked in a September 2006 meeting about a $50 million verbal commitment with the possibility that it would be matched. He also said UCSF received a signed commitment of $30 million from another donor.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:21 PM

Thanks, BT. They seem to be done with testing piledriving, as the piledriver is silent, there are no more piles laying around on-site, and they've trimmed all of the driven piles down to ground level. Given them a little bit of time to start manufacturing the rest of piles at the appropriate lengths and we'll be on our way!

Equipment is rolling in for UCSF's temporary utility plant in that same area as well. Still lots of stuff dug up for laying the pipelines as well.

Noticed streetlights go up along the future northward extension of Owens Street yesterday, past the frame of 1500 Owens.

Not much else new going on here. There's apparently a big new sculpture installed outside 500 Terry Francois, but I haven't been by there to see it...should be on the eastern side tucked into the "L" of the building.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 2:57 AM

I heard someone refer to Mission Bay as the new "Cell Valley" (Of course, I don't think there was an old cell valley!). But, I never heard that before--could be an apt name given the gathering momentum of biotech there.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:33 PM

Today's update:

Workers have spent the last three days pouring concrete for the ground floor of the parking garage on Block 27, just west of the Old Navy building, and there's still more to go. Rebar for the columns is sticking up all over the place, and they're starting to add the wood forms for the concrete, so we should see it start to rise out of the ground relatively soon. They've added a small project info billboard to the side of the construction trailer which reveals that the official address of the garage is 450 South Street.

One block north of there, a project info billboard has been erected at the corner of Third and Mission Bay Blvd. South for 455 MB Blvd. S., which is one of Alexandria's biotech/tech projects. This was designed as a three-building complex, but it appears that only Buildings 2 and 3 fronting MB Blvd are being constructed initially. Building 1 was to be the 160-foot tower fronting Third Street, but I'm unsure whether the delay in constructing that one is due to timing of bringing space online or if there is an issue with the design that is requiring additional work. I understand that the Building 2/3 project is out to bid now.

I mentioned awhile ago about Alexandria opening a space in 1700 Owens to showcase the upcoming projects. Looks like they've got some models in there now showing off upcoming projects in both the Owens Street cluster and the Third Street cluster. I'll try to get some shots of those soon.

Work continues at UCSF. The exterior lift was being removed from the cancer building today, while more piles arrived for the cardiovascular building next door and driving has begun again. The northern portion of the campus is still dug up for the major utility pipeline work, and it looks like much of the equipment for the temporary central plant is now in place.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:56 AM
North Beach

Weekend photos I have been to laz--, uh, busy to process:

I am really not a fan of these buildings:

This tanker currently dominates views of the area. It is remarkable how loud the sandblasting is in the area:

A WHEC undergoing overhaul. I haven't noticed any armed vessels being maintained here before:

Perhaps Chiquita Banana is moving in?

Another "meh" building. Calls to my mind a 1960s middle school:

Decloaked:

And work on the project next door:

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 3:41 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I don't really like the Illinois twins either. I can't for the life of me figure out why they took the most interesting design element of the buildings (the angled stone walls) and faced them toward each other with almost no space between. Not that it would have made them instantly gorgeous buildings, because frankly I don't think those angled walls look all that great to begin with. But at least there would be some visual interest to be seen from somewhere other than within a hundred feet or so of the buildings.

As for Radiance, I think it will look better when phase II is built. I think the darker accent colors of phase I will create a nice contrast with the lighter, larger phase II. I'm probably in the minority on here in that thinking and overly enamored with the model, but I'm hopeful anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development