HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 3:17 PM

I'm looking to buy so I'm hoping the London market continues to soften.

Here's a nice listing for a family home that I came across today.

https://www.struttandparker.com/prop...ttle-boltons-4
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I live quite close to the loop L and only on the 5th floor, but I barely hear it unless I'm listening for it. Nice thick walls and insulated windows do magic... now if only they could stop the sound of those asshats with loud motors.
Tell me about it. I'm currently living just opposite the City of London and there are overground rail lines very close by. The sound of the trains doesn't bother me at all (it's like the L), but last night some dipshits were revving motorcycles on the street 5 floors below and that was deafening.

People who ride loud motorcycles in the city deserve to be decapitated by chicken wire strung across the street.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 3:36 PM

Is this a new thing, or am I just getting old? The incidence of Harleys with mufflers removed, and gangs of idiots on crotch rockets seems to have soared in recent years.

And everywhere, not just U.S. I was eating dinner al fresco in Toronto two weeks ago, and a pack of fatties on modified Harleys set off car alarms and led to babies crying. Are these just small-dicked losers desperately craving attention? It sucks, even with double-paned glass.

Why can't local police just seize these bikes?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:19 PM

I've definitely noticed more motor dirt bikes in NYC over the past 3-5 years, but I don't think there's been much of an uptick in actual motorcycles.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 6:53 PM

Around Austin it isn't noise from Harleys that is most upsetting. There are all kinds of Japanese and Asian street bikes with very loud exhaust systems. I don't know whether the exhaust systems are off the shelf or modified, but I constantly fantasize about grisly motorcycle death scenes for the owners. There are also a very large number of cars and trucks with very loud exhaust set-ups designed to engender rage from old geezers like me.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 6:59 PM

Its all over LA too. Street takeovers everywhere. The worst offenders are the Dodge Chargers that they sell like hot cakes to the micro penis crowd

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 12:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Love these homes in Atlanta. I have no idea what neighborhood this is but driving around exploring.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 1:12 AM

Over in my neck of the woods... I think it's kinda cute. I'd definitely get rid of that awful wallpaper in the bedroom, though.

From Pasadena Now:

HOME OF THE WEEK: BEAUTIFUL SPANISH HOME LOCATED ON GREENWOOD AVENUE, PASADENA

By TED CLARK and HEATHER LILLARD

PUBLISHED ON JUN 8, 2022

Open house tomorrow, June 12, 2022, from 2pm to 4pm.
Details:

392 S. Greenwood Ave., Pasadena, CA 91107

Bed(s): 3
Bath(s): 2
Sq. Ft.: 1,894 sq.ft.
Lot: 7,518 sq.ft.
Year built: 1926

Offered at $1,699,000

Located on a beautiful tree lined street in the coveted “Cal Tech” neighborhood of Pasadena, this character Spanish home was built in 1926 and has been tastefully updated and remodeled. Beginning with the beautiful drought tolerant landscape in the front, the curb appeal and first impression are fantastic.

Link, with more details and pics: https://www.pasadenanow.com/weekendr...enue-pasadena/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 12:44 PM

Well I was physically threatened this past weekend while mowing one of my vacant lots. I told the owner of a not-functioning car that she needs to get the car towed. She insisted that "the car runs", despite its four flat tires and plates that have been expired since November of 2021.

I suspect that the not-functioning car is being used as a drug drop-off/pick-up point.

She said she "doesn't like me always coming down here with an attitude" despite my not having talked to her in two years (she's been hiding from me ever since the car stopped running) and that if I tow the car "we'ze gonna have a problem - big problem". Also, she claims to have lived in the apartment "for twenty years", as if being a tenant gives her some sort of right to leave a non-functional car on an unaffiliated vacant lot. It's like, how about I dump my not-working cars on your land?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 1:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ unless i had immediate redevelopment plans, the prospect of owning a vacant lot in an urban setting sounds fraught with all kinds of potential issues/problems.

sure, there are potentially big pay-offs down the road, but are the headaches along the way worth it? how many vacant lots do you own?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Well I was physically threatened this past weekend while mowing one of my vacant lots. I told the owner of a not-functioning car that she needs to get the car towed. She insisted that "the car runs", despite its four flat tires and plates that have been expired since November of 2021.

I suspect that the not-functioning car is being used as a drug drop-off/pick-up point.

She said she "doesn't like me always coming down here with an attitude" despite my not having talked to her in two years (she's been hiding from me ever since the car stopped running) and that if I tow the car "we'ze gonna have a problem - big problem". Also, she claims to have lived in the apartment "for twenty years", as if being a tenant gives her some sort of right to leave a non-functional car on an unaffiliated vacant lot. It's like, how about I dump my not-working cars on your land?
May I ask where this vacant lot is located?

In SoCal, many cities require fencing for vacant lots, and "NO TRESPASSING" signs. Some cities even require a landscaped setback with fencing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Is this a new thing, or am I just getting old? The incidence of Harleys with mufflers removed, and gangs of idiots on crotch rockets seems to have soared in recent years.

And everywhere, not just U.S. I was eating dinner al fresco in Toronto two weeks ago, and a pack of fatties on modified Harleys set off car alarms and led to babies crying. Are these just small-dicked losers desperately craving attention? It sucks, even with double-paned glass.

Why can't local police just seize these bikes?
They should.

I’m gonna get in a fight with one of these guys eventually. Crossed the street in front of one who was reviving his engine at a red light last week, and casually told him that I’m sorry his dick is so small. My wife was not amused but I thought it was funny.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
May I ask where this vacant lot is located?
Here is the lot and the woman (I'm not going to point out which one is her, but you get the idea): https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1182...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
unless i had immediate redevelopment plans, the prospect of owning a vacant lot in an urban setting sounds fraught with all kinds of potential issues/problems.
I made $63,000 after taxes in 18 months flipping my first two lots. Those lots were a total mess and I did absolutely nothing to clean them up.

I'm sure that I'm up at least $30,000 on the current lot, as renovations have started on the block and new construction is nearby (although with the economy about to tank things might go down). But the people in the building to the left have been a constant problem. They constantly throw trash, including dirty diapers, onto the grass. Every visit down there is met with some sort of obnoxious request. They see me as a sucker who they're going to extract things from.

The shame is that some of the people on the block are great and they're stuck living next to this clown show. The guys renovating the 3-family on the other side of the lot are a couple of bumbling fools. It's amazing how people get a building for super-cheap, don't know what they're doing, but then they refuse to sell when the neighborhood gets hot. It's like, take the $100k.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:41 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I made $63,000 after taxes in 18 months flipping my first two lots. Those lots were a total mess and I did absolutely nothing to clean them up.

I'm sure that I'm up at least $30,000 on the current lot, as renovations have started on the block and new construction is nearby (although with the economy about to tank things might go down). But the people in the building to the left have been a constant problem. They constantly throw trash, including dirty diapers, onto the grass. Every visit down there is met with some sort of obnoxious request. They see me as a sucker who they're going to extract things from.

The shame is that some of the people on the block are great and they're stuck living next to this clown show. The guys renovating the 3-family on the other side of the lot are a couple of bumbling fools. It's amazing how people get a building for super-cheap, don't know what they're doing, but then they refuse to sell when the neighborhood gets hot. It's like, take the $100k.
Thats what happens in a downturn, the bumbling fools will lose their shirts. Ive seen it before, new 'builders' pop up during a hot market and retreat when the market crashes.
I'd recommend anyone holding real estate that they intend to sell, do so, now...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 6:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I'd recommend anyone holding real estate that they intend to sell, do so, now...
Bad timing, but my tenant in my lone investment property just told me she's not gonna renew in September (not shocking as I was aware that her relationship with her new boyfriend was getting ever more serious).

Now I have to decide if I should just get out NOW while prices are still OK-ish, or just get another tenant lined up it for September.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 13, 2022 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 6:48 PM

^^ I would hold. Long term the prices will rebound again, and in the meantime you can build equity and eventually turn your investment into a great income stream. With interest rates probably going up to 6 or 7% very soon, it'll be hard to finance any replacement if you sell.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Thats what happens in a downturn, the bumbling fools will lose their shirts. Ive seen it before, new 'builders' pop up during a hot market and retreat when the market crashes.
I got this lot for cheap and it won't cost me much to keep it for five or even ten years. I know people who have gotten rich holding vacant lots. Nobody wants anything to do with them - in the Midwest they usually sell for well under $10,000 - then all of the sudden they're selling for $100k. The switch happens in a matter of months.

In areas likely to gentrify, it's like buying a tear-down, except somebody else paid to tear down the house 20-30 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 7:27 PM

That Cincy neighborhood looks right on the cusp. Yeah, still gritty as hell, no doubt crime, squalor and bad schools, but great architecture and vibe. Probably gonna be a cheaper version of Over-the-Rhine.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 10:27 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Bad timing, but my tenant in my lone investment property just told me she's not gonna renew in September (not shocking as I was aware that her relationship with her new boyfriend was getting ever more serious).

Now I have to decide if I should just get out NOW while prices are still OK-ish, or just get another tenant lined up it for September.
You are probably in good shape either way. If you are a good responsible landlord, not trying to max the market you are good. And if you decide to sell this peak market will last at least a little while unless there is some catastrophic event.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions