HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:33 PM

Off topic but I'm lamenting the fact that McBane stopped posting and hopefully the exchange above didn't cause him to do so.

McBane, if you are out there, please come back!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 11:22 PM

There's some equipment on site moving earth around.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:41 AM

I thought this project got a denial from the ZBA. Does anyone know if things have changed?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I thought this project got a denial from the ZBA. Does anyone know if things have changed?
Looks like this project's variance was granted by the ZBA on November 20th; however, I'm not seeing any permits pertaining to the property.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
The Quaker Building redevelopment was originally denied but they eventually got their variance granted after two appeals. The new buildings in the project got their variances approved earlier this year.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:58 PM

It's great to see this project moving forward. This area desperately needs people and foot traffic. I'm also reminded of an old post I made in this thread about adding a regional rail station here and someone said there was once a stop at 9th and Girard so I found a photo. It never ceases to amaze me how much of Philadelphia's past has been destroyed.

Here's the link to the photo: https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...x?assetId=6904

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
It's great to see this project moving forward. This area desperately needs people and foot traffic. I'm also reminded of an old post I made in this thread about adding a regional rail station here and someone said there was once a stop at 9th and Girard so I found a photo. It never ceases to amaze me how much of Philadelphia's past has been destroyed.

Here's the link to the photo: https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...x?assetId=6904
Very cool find! There were a lot of "inner-city" rail stations that were eliminated as suburbanization took hold in the 20th Century. The 52nd Street station on the main line is another prime example. We should eventually rebuild many of these stations as part of some unplanned-for but very much needed revamp of regional rail according to European best practices (ie increased frequency; all-level boarding platforms; reduced staffing on trains; lower fares and "fare equity" so that short rides within the city are priced similar to buses and subways).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:58 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Yup-- an entire neighborhood that centered around that part of Girard was completely wiped out for PHA housing, half of which never got built. That's why I think it's shameful that local publications keep repeating this bogus statistic that 2018 had the most demolitions in the city's history. Every single year of the 1960s had more. It's a straight-up lie now being repeated as fact.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 11:32 PM

Good news!
Quote:
PERMIT FOR THE ERECTION OF A DETACHED STRUCTURE WITH A ROOF DECK AT THE 2ND FLOOR LEVEL (ACCESSORY TO RESIDENTIAL USE). SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLANS AND APPLICATION. FOR USE AS VACANT COMMERCIAL (USE REGISTRATION PERMIT REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) AND MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING (ONE HUNDRED TWELVE (112) DWELLING UNITS). ROOF DECK ACCESSORY TO RESIDENTIAL USE. THIRTY-EIGHT (38) CLASS 1A BICYCLE PARKING SPACES LOCATED ON AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE. NO SIGNS ON THIS APPLICATION.
Quote:

Date
Wed Nov 20 2019
Decision
GRANTED/PROV
Proviso
*****PROVISO: REVISED PLANS 2 PAGES STAMPED TODAY 11/20/19.*****
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...20N%208TH%20ST

Should be good to go.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 11:52 PM
Philly Pholly

I love this project

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:42 PM

A new construction permit has been issues as of 1/20!

Quote:
FOR THE ERECTION OF A DETACHED STRUCTURE WITH A ROOF DECK AT THE 2ND FLOOR LEVEL (ACCESSORY TO RESIDENTIAL USE). SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLANS AND APPLICATION. FOR USE AS VACANT COMMERCIAL (USE REGISTRATION PERMIT REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) AND MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING (SIXTY (60) DWELLING UNITS). ROOF DECK ACCESSORY TO RESIDENTIAL USE. TWELVE (12) SURFACE PARKING SPACES, TWO (2) OF THEM SURFACE ACCESSIBLE PARKING SPACES. TWENTY (20) CLASS 1A BICYCLE PARKING SPACES LOCATED ON AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE. NO SIGNS ON THIS APPLICATION.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
A new construction permit has been issues as of 1/20!
60 units? Sounds like this has been significantly downsized or the permit has a typo.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
60 units? Sounds like this has been significantly downsized or the permit has a typo.
It's multiple buildings.

Could be the smaller (most eastern) building in the original render.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:55 AM

There are a couple of renders on the architect's website that show truncated towers, which may better align with the number of units in the construction permit.

https://www.cosciamoos.com/project/poplar-multi-family/

Design still looks kinda neat, but bummed about the potential reduction in scale.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:24 PM

A permit pertaining to 900 N. Darien Street was issued on 1/30:

FOR THE ERECTION OF A DETACHED STRUCTURE. SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLANS AND APPLICATION. FOR USE AS VACANT RETAIL SALES (SEPARATE USE PERMIT REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY) AND MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING (ONE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY TWO (152) OF DWELLING UNITS) WITH NON-ACCESSORY PARKING (TOTAL OF FIFTY-SEVEN (57) PARKING SPACES: FOURTEEN (14) TO BE NON-ACCESSORY AND FORTY-THREE (43) TO BE ACCESSORY), PARKING TO INCLUDING FOUR (4) ACCESSIBLE SPACES (TWO (2) VAN ACCESSIBLE), FIVE (5) AUTO-SHARE SPACES, FIVE (5) ELECTRIC PARKING SPACES AND FIFTY-ONE (51) CLASS 1A BICYCLE PARKING SPACES LOCATED ON AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE.

Looks like the project may not have been downsized after all! The largest of the two structures will be on Darien Street.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:11 PM

Just was looking at that guy's instagram that was shared in the other thread and noticed he had a good picture of the progress here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8pOUpkjal_/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Just was looking at that guy's instagram that was shared in the other thread and noticed he had a good picture of the progress here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8pOUpkjal_/
That's the Toll Bros redevelopment, not the development this thread was made for. That is off frame to the right.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:35 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That's the Toll Bros redevelopment, not the development this thread was made for. That is off frame to the right.
I hate to be the "well, actually" guy, but I believe that's a Post Bros project, not Toll Bros

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Lol the Toll bros. aren't redeveloping this.. It's the Post Brothers and they redoing the factory before building the two apartment buildings. They own the north side of the 800 and 900 blocks of poplar. APOM is the developer of the new buildings on that 800 block that Post Brothers owns.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I hate to be the "well, actually" guy, but I believe that's a Post Bros project, not Toll Bros
Damn, I was hoping it was actually a Coen Bros project (and I'm sure you were, too).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive