HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 5:37 PM

'Once-in-a-generation opportunity': Saint Joseph's closes merger with University of the Sciences

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ger-close.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:17 PM

Construction Underway At 231 West Johnson Street In West Mount Airy/Germantown

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has revealed that construction is underway at a five-story, 32-unit multi-family structure at 231 West Johnson Street in Morton, Northwest Philadelphia. The 35,519-square-foot structure will hold 32 residential units and 19 parking spaces. Permits list Scott Woodruff as the architect and Venco Builders Inc. as the contractor. Construction costs are specified at $4.97 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/06/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:19 PM

Completion Nears At The Azalea At 6604 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has revealed that construction is nearing completion at The Azalea, a five-story, 50-unit multi-family development at 6604 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough, Northwest Philadelphia. Designed by M Architects and developed by Stamm Development, with Tester Construction Group as the contractor, the building spans 44,625 square feet and will include features such as a fitness center, a garage, and full sprinkling. Permits list Bohler Engineering as the design professional and a construction cost of $8.25 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/comp...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:20 PM

Construction Underway At 5542 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit has revealed that excavation is currently underway at a three-story, 50-unit mixed-use building at 5542-44 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough, Northwest Philadelphia. The building will span 45,500 square feet and feature commercial space on the ground floor as well as multiple roof decks. Construction costs are listed at $6.8 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:22 PM

Completion Approaches At The Onyx At 6618 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has revealed that construction is nearly complete at The Onyx, a five-story, 44-unit multi-family rental development at 6618 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough, Northwest Philadelphia. The building spans 48,615 square feet and will include features such as an elevator, a fitness center, a garage, a green roof with a roof deck, and full sprinkling. Permits list Klein & Company Plumbing Inc. as the contractor and a construction cost of $3 million.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:24 PM

Site Cleared At 5959 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Current progress:

Rendering:

Quote:
A recent location visit by Philly YIMBY has revealed that a site has been cleared for the construction of a four-story, 30-unit mixed-use building at 5959 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough, Northwest Philadelphia. The development will span 31,785 square feet and will feature ground-floor commercial space, as well as bicycle parking, a roof deck, and full sprinkling. Permits list Jeremy Avellino as the design professional, Knight Rider Construction as the contractor, and a construction cost of $3.2 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/site...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:25 PM

Excavation Underway At The Royale At 6910 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Current progress:

Project renderings:

Quote:
YIMBY’s recent site visit has revealed that excavation is underway at the future site of The Royale, a four-story, 77-unit development at 6910 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough, Northwest Philadelphia. Designed by M Architects and developed by Stamm Development Group, the building will span 70,996 square feet and will feature underground parking and a green roof. Permits list Tester Construction Group as the contractor and a construction cost of $14 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/exca...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:26 PM

Five Six-Unit Buildings Proposed At 3837-45 Wallace Street In Mantua

Current site:

Building elevations:

Quote:
A series of five adjacent three-story, six-unit apartment buildings have been proposed at 3837 through 3845 Wallace Street in Mantua, West Philadelphia, yielding a total of 30 apartments. Designed by Haverford Square Designs, each structure will span 4,500 square feet, lending an average of 750 square feet per unit, and will feature a basement, nine-foot-plus ceilings, and full sprinkling. Permits for each structure list Francesco Zampetti as the design professional, Eugene Naydovich of Fitler Development as the contractor, and a construction cost of $200,000.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/five...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:28 PM

Construction Underway At 6311-17 Germantown Avenue In Germantown

Current progress:

Project rendering:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has revealed that construction is underway at a four-story, 60-unit mixed use building at 6311-17 Germantown Avenue in Morton, Northwest Philadelphia. The development is situated on the east side of the block between East Washington Lane and East Duval Street. The building will span 51,592 square feet and feature commercial space on the ground floor, elevator service, a green roof that will span at least 60 percent of the rooftop, 20 bicycle spaces, and full sprinkling. Permits list Knight Rider Construction as the contractor and a construction cost of $5.29 million to build.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/06/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:29 PM

Permits Issued For 1820 Ridge Avenue In Francisville

Current site:

Building elevations:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a five-story mixed-use building at 1820 Ridge Avenue in Francisville, Lower North Philadelphia. Designed by Plato Studios, the new building will hold commercial space at the ground floor as well as 12 residential units. The structure will span 10,732 square feet. Features include a basement and a roof deck will located at the top of the structure. Construction costs ate listed at $800,000.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:30 PM

40-Unit Building Proposed At 901 Buttonwood Street In Callowhill

Current site:

Quote:
A seven-story, 40-unit mixed-use development has been proposed at 901 Buttonwood Street in Callowhill, Lower North Philadelphia. The development will rise at the northwest corner of Buttonwood and North 9th streets and will span 29,461 square feet, which will include a commercial component. Features will include a parking garage and full sprinkling. Permits list Carolina Pena as the design professional, Houn Far LLC as the contractor, and a construction cost of $3.5 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/40-u...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Completion Approaches At The Onyx At 6618 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Read/view more here:
I love that Ridge Avenue is transforming before my eyes, but is, by far, the ugliest of the proposed and under-construction buildings. I can only hope that the level of architectural prowess improves as Roxborough becomes even more desirable.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
No that wasn't what I was saying. Inferences of corruption and stupidity have been leveled at the majority of the members of council on this forum. The few exceptions happen to fit a certain profile. And the determining factor isnt whether or not one has been indicted. In fact, one member of council that was convicted has barely ever been mentioned in an insulting manner, in fact his name isn't mentioned at all. But there has been plenty negative to say about Clarke, Johnson, Sanchez, Gaithier, Brooks, etc. If your ire is truly focused on the criminal element in Council than your # target should have been Henon- who was actually convicted of wrongdoing. It's funny because the guy who was taking bribes was never one of the names accused on here of being on the take.
Bobby Henon (and Johnny Doc by extension) is a scumbag and I'm glad that he was charged, but, to be fair, I would be willing to bet that those of us who are most interested in development live in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th Districts (I'm in the 4th). These Councilmanic Districts are the densest, walkable, transit-oriented, and most architecturally distinguished in the city, so whoever oversees them should be taking extra care to ensure that they grow at a healthy clip. To be frank, I don't really care about Henon's district, as there isn't too much going on in the Lower Northeast construction-wise. The Northeast past Cottman is also suburban hell.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:34 PM
Chris

Happy to see the new owners moving forward quickly with this transformative development.

650 Fairmount Ave. Project Well Under Way Under New Ownership

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-new-ownership

Two nitpicks though...

1. Bummed the new owners didn't tweak the previous plans.

2. The Liberty Square townhomes on 6th Street are attractive, but my not a tree or shrub in site, and this stretch needs some greenery.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9625...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Happy to see the new owners moving forward quickly with this transformative development.

650 Fairmount Ave. Project Well Under Way Under New Ownership

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-new-ownership

Two nitpicks though...

1. Bummed the new owners didn't tweak the previous plans.

2. The Liberty Square townhomes on 6th Street are attractive, but my not a tree or shrub in site, and this stretch needs some greenery.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9625...7i16384!8i8192
Happy to see this move forward so quickly. I do think it was a good move on the part of PRDC though; the for sale market is definitely slowing down and it would have been a big project for a developer of his size to get stuck with.

Hopefully they take the cash and use it to continue pushing forward but on a smaller scale until things settle (with interest rates, etc).

On another note, the super market at 6th & Spring Garden is on the fast track. It is being managed almost as a subproject within the bigger multi-family project and it is clear it moving ahead of the project at large.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 11:36 AM

So glad to see Philly's "Battersea Power Station" coming back to live:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Kenyatta Johnson should stop blocking Washington Avenue safety plan | Editorial

The ongoing Washington Avenue "road diet" saga is yet another indication that the practice of councilmanic prerogative needs to go.

by The [Inquirer] Editorial Board

The ongoing Washington Avenue “road diet” saga must seem particularly confusing to anyone who isn’t intimately familiar with Philadelphia politics.

Yet, thanks to Philadelphia’s vexing commitment to councilmanic prerogative — which gives the final authority on land-use decisions to the city’s 10 district councilmembers — this soap opera, which has dragged on since 2013, is likely to continue.

The inability to deliver a safer street for residents despite nearly a decade of deliberation and outreach is yet another indication that the often counterproductive practice of councilmanic prerogative needs to go.

[...]

Johnson not only turned the community engagement process into a sham, he rejected a substantive way to slow traffic and improve safety along a once-industrial corridor that is increasingly residential. He has also effectively ignored the wishes of a sizable chunk of his constituency. The collective time and energy from advocates, transportation officials, and ordinary residents who thought they were being given a genuine say in making their neighborhood safer was effectively wasted, all because of one man’s opaque objections.

[...]

Johnson’s inaction creates the real risk of traffic safety inequity settling in on the avenue: Whiter and more affluent sections in the eastern part of Washington Avenue will have more safety measures on those sections of the street than the neighborhoods in the more working-class and predominantly Black western end. That could mean that the historic harms caused by routing heavy vehicle traffic through largely Black residential neighborhoods will continue.

As long as the city’s neighborhoods continue to be run as individual fiefdoms, these bleak outcomes are all but inevitable.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/edi...-20220603.html

(emphasis mine)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I love that Ridge Avenue is transforming before my eyes, but is, by far, the ugliest of the proposed and under-construction buildings. I can only hope that the level of architectural prowess improves as Roxborough becomes even more desirable.
Honestly. Shame on them for this. WTF?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Honestly. Shame on them for this. WTF?
Every day, stuff like this radicalizes me more. One of these days we're going to have to ask if we really want this to be what Philadelphia's new identity is.

I think a great way to solve this problem (and yes, it is a problem) would be to designate specific materials and datums for every neighborhood in Philadelphia, and then give the full 10 year tax abatement to any developer that uses these materials and follows these datums. Projects over a certain square footage could ignore the datum rule as long as appropriate materials and massings are still used.

I realize that limiting development would hurt the city but I mean, come on. Some of this stuff is garbage.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Honestly, shame on him for this. WTF.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development