HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I'm not even saying I want a overbuild that looks exactly like its base here. Any site, especially an overbuild, has its own contexts and needs. In this specific site, the only thing tying the two original structures together is that they're both prewar. Other than that, they use completely different materials and served two completely different purposes when built.

What I am saying is that somehow this design is less appropriate given the space than if they had just demolished the red brick building on the corner and built a completely new tower from scratch. In the same way that Soldier Field looks completely mismatched, this design clashes far too much to be appreciated, imo. I actually think I preferred the original design because it 1) Kept the third historical building and 2) Didn't clash too much as to completely draw away from the original structures.
I think the fact that the two original buildings being so different is exactly why you need the overbuild to also be completely different. There's no real way to do something completely cohesive here if you're starting with these two buildings as the foundation.

I understand something a lot cleaner and more cohesive could built if the corner building had been demolished, but who wants to lose that corner building? Come on, it's great.

So if you go from a starting point of these two buildings, it's obviously a tall task to tie it all together and I think this overbuild does a really admirable job. I really love how the amenity floor sort of breaks the bulk of the glass overbuild away from the existing structures. This buffer space and the stark vertical lines really create an ethereal quality that I hope translates to the finished work.

It isn't harmonious. But the discordant themes come together to create an incredibly interesting looking building that will truly be one of a kind.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I think the fact that the two original buildings being so different is exactly why you need the overbuild to also be completely different. There's no real way to do something completely cohesive here if you're starting with these two buildings as the foundation.

I understand something a lot cleaner and more cohesive could built if the corner building had been demolished, but who wants to lose that corner building? Come on, it's great.

So if you go from a starting point of these two buildings, it's obviously a tall task to tie it all together and I think this overbuild does a really admirable job. I really love how the amenity floor sort of breaks the bulk of the glass overbuild away from the existing structures. This buffer space and the stark vertical lines really create an ethereal quality that I hope translates to the finished work.

It isn't harmonious. But the discordant themes come together to create an incredibly interesting looking building that will truly be one of a kind.
My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised but then not that some people don't like the design. I think it's shockingly good. Compare it to the Aramark overbuild right next door and there's no contest.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
What option two is proposing is the following: certain corridors would be designated as being worthy of Metro frequencies. To use a single line as an example, let's say I live along the Paoli/Thorndale line. If I live in Narberth, I can now take trains every 15 minutes into Center City. However, if I live in Malvern, I have to take one train that runs every 60 minutes to Radnor (the point on the map they've marked as the end of Metro frequencies) and then transfer at Radnor to the next inbound train. Express trains would exist during peak that would be a one seat ride, but only during Rush Hour. That line is a perfect example because of Amtrak; how do you expect on-time performance will be considering that Amtrak runs along the line?
Compare that to Option 1, where all lines see 30 minute maximum headways at all times of the day. So now, if I live at Narberth I have to wait a little longer for a train (headways are already 30 min anyways off peak on the PAO), but someone in Malvern actually has to wait less. Expresses will also still exist during peak hours. And as SEPTA gets more funding, they can run more frequent trains and get those down.

The big reason I am opposed to those transfers is because historically, similar systems were used to kill off the West Chester and Fox Chase lines. You're pretty much guaranteeing that ridership will plummet.

Manpower. We literally do not have people to drive the trains.
Thank you for this explanation. I guess what I do not understand is if trains would hypothetically run 4 times every 60 minutes from Narberth, why could 1 of those trains be the one that goes through Malvern once an hour. Similarly, how Ambler has more frequent trains than say Colmar because the trains that start in Doylestown AND Lansdale run through Ambler. I feel that would save on man power as well so they wouldn't need 2 trains (one from paoli-narberth and narberth-CC)

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngniems View Post
Thank you for this explanation. I guess what I do not understand is if trains would hypothetically run 4 times every 60 minutes from Narberth, why could 1 of those trains be the one that goes through Malvern once an hour. Similarly, how Ambler has more frequent trains than say Colmar because the trains that start in Doylestown AND Lansdale run through Ambler. I feel that would save on man power as well so they wouldn't need 2 trains (one from paoli-narberth and narberth-CC)
It's because they don't have the crews for that. In my hypothetical scenario, You only need one crew for every run from CC to Radnor and back, and then one crew to run from Thorndale to Radnor every hour. Let's say that there are indeed four trains an hour to/from Radnor every hour, so that means 5 crews total.
Compare that to through-running 1 in four of those trains. Once that crew leaves Radnor and continues heading west, a new crew and trainset has to come from somewhere to replace what would've been their return run from Radnor to CC. So in an hour, you'd need the same amount of crews to run that.
Except that crew that continued out to Thorndale is now... out near Thorndale. No chance they make it back to Radnor before the hour is up. The timetables say it's 48 minutes one way between Radnor and Thorndale. An hour and An hour and 40 minutes has passed before that train can make it back to Radnor. You're going to have to start adding crews to fill in those gaps from Radnor inbound at this point. And it suddenly starts adding up.

Also, under Option 1 the Cynwyd and CHW finally see 30 min headways, which is actually an improvement over the current situation.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 5:56 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
It's because they don't have the crews for that. In my hypothetical scenario, You only need one crew for every run from CC to Radnor and back, and then one crew to run from Thorndale to Radnor every hour. Let's say that there are indeed four trains an hour to/from Radnor every hour, so that means 5 crews total.
Compare that to through-running 1 in four of those trains. Once that crew leaves Radnor and continues heading west, a new crew and trainset has to come from somewhere to replace what would've been their return run from Radnor to CC. So in an hour, you'd need the same amount of crews to run that.
Except that crew that continued out to Thorndale is now... out near Thorndale. No chance they make it back to Radnor before the hour is up. The timetables say it's 48 minutes one way between Radnor and Thorndale. An hour and An hour and 40 minutes has passed before that train can make it back to Radnor. You're going to have to start adding crews to fill in those gaps from Radnor inbound at this point. And it suddenly starts adding up.

Also, under Option 1 the Cynwyd and CHW finally see 30 min headways, which is actually an improvement over the current situation.
Option 1 Is my favorite and In my opinion the best option.

30 Min headways across the whole system with metro service in the center exactly where it needs it is perfect.

Plus as Mcgrath has mentioned improvements and better service will follow as time goes on and this solidifies our Transportation across the region we will see our area grow even more ,economically and will give us even more edge against other cities with good Rail Service (Looking at you NYC )

But no we should really push for Option 1.

And also find out what the hell Option 3 even means

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:35 PM

“The Refinery” Will Bring 11 Condos to Site of Former NoLibs Warehouse

In the past:

Current site:

Project rendering:

Quote:
We were just recently on N. 3rd St. in Northern Liberties to check out a project at a former industrial building. Given the lede, you can probably guess where we might literally and figuratively be headed. Today, we bring to you yet another development on the street, this time at 1139-41 N. 3rd St., stretching between 3rd & Bodine St. near the northern end of the neighborhood.

Zatos Investments is planning an 11-unit condo building called “The Refinery”, designed by Gnome Architects. The structure will consist of five floors plus a mezzanine level between the third and fourth floors, making it functionally a six-story building. Car parking, with one space on N. 3rd St. and three spaces on N. Bodine Street, is also included.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...libs-warehouse

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:36 PM

A Redesign and Pivot to Labs for Glassy Overbuild at 23rd & Market

Current site:

Project rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-23rd-market

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:41 PM

New Plans Emerge for Lot Next to Fishtown’s Edward Corner Building

Edward Corner building:

Site next door:

Rendering of previous plans:

Elevations of new plans:

Quote:
1130 N. Delaware Ave., just to the north of the Edward Corner Building. We have covered this lot in the past, as proposals have popped up every few years for the site.

While the previous proposal designed by Varenhorst may not have materialized, we are pleased to report the old building and ghost signs are fully intact and looking fantastic. Oh, and a big ol’ apartment building is probably coming soon next door. Let’s get caught up and then get to the news.

When we recently heard this property would be going to the Fishtown Neighbors Association Zoning Board for review prior to a CDR trip, we were very excited that things were moving forward for this by-right project. The plans are once again from Streamline and Varenhorst Architects, and this time call for 182 total units over seven stories, consisting of both apartments and townhomes. Parking for 44 cars and 61 bikes is included on the ground floor, with parking access on E. Allen St. and loading access on Marlborough St. to the north. Likely due to past pushback from the neighbors, the building steps back quite dramatically from its full height on Delaware Ave. down to four floors on the residential-facing side of the building.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...orner-building

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:42 PM

Demo of Anastasi’s Seafood Denotes Start of Controversial Italian Market Project

9th & Washington in the past:

Current view of the site:

Project rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...market-project

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:44 PM

132-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Under Construction Next to Clark Park in West Philly

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
Almost exactly 3 years ago, we told you that building permits had been issued for a 6-story, 132 unit building with 60 car parking spots in the basement level, 50 bicycle spaces, a leasing office, and ground floor retail at 4224 Baltimore Avenue.

A few months ago, work finally started on the site. Today, if you walk by the corner of 43rd and Baltimore Avenue, you’ll see a major construction site.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/132-uni...n-west-philly/

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:50 PM

Construction Underway At 1103 South 47th Street In Squirrel Hill, West Philadelphia

Quote:
Construction is underway at a 15-unit multi-family building at 1103 South 47th Street in Squirrel Hill, West Philadelphia, as revealed in our recent site visit. Designed by Designblendz, the building will rise four stories tall. A commercial space will be located on the ground floor and a roof deck will be included at the top of the structure. In total, the building will hold 20,771 square feet of space and cost an estimated $2.6 million to build.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/cons...rrel-hill.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:52 PM

Construction Complete At Renaissance Estates In Packer Park

Quote:
Philly YIMBY;s recent site visit has revealed that construction is complete at Renaissance Estates, a low-rise residential development located at 3320 South 20th Street in Packer Park, South Philadelphia. Developed by Mansion Global, the project consists of 14 four-story townhouses with two-car garages, private elevators, and roof decks offering sweeping views of the skyline. The homes will yield at least 3,200 square feet of space, with three bedrooms and three-and-a-half bathrooms.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/cons...delphia-2.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:53 PM

Completion Nears At 1422 Point Breeze Avenue In Point Breeze

Quote:
In March, Philly YIMBY has reported that façade work is nearing completion at a four-story, 42-unit mixed-use building at 1422 Point Breeze Avenue in Point Breeze, South Philadelphia. Our latest visit has shown minor new construction progress over the course of the past two months, with the building still inching toward completion. Designed by JKRP Architects and developed by OCF Realty, the building spans 43,400 square feet and includes ground-floor retail space that will contribute to the existing commercial corridor along the avenue. Other features include an elevator, a roof deck, resident storage in the basement, and full sprinkling. Permits list G & M Efestos Contracting Inc. as the contractor and a construction cost of $7 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/comp...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:58 PM

Demolition Anticipated At 1600 Carpenter Street In Graduate Hospital

Current site:

Project massing:

Townhome rendering:

Project elevations:

Project site plan:

Quote:
Philly YIMBY recently visited the site of a 191-unit mixed-use development proposed at 1600 Carpenter Street in Graduate Hospital, South Philadelphia. Designed by Harman Deutsch Ohler Architecture and developed by Streamline, the complex will replace a suburban-style shopping mall with a stately, traditionally-styled six-story building facing Washington Avenue, which will offer 23,185 square feet of ground-level retail and 131 rental apartments, ranging from studios to two-bedrooms, many of which will rank as affordable housing. To the north, 60 multi-family townhouses will be situated, which will match the scale and the material palette of the surrounding area.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/demo...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:01 PM

Permits Issued For 956 East Erie Avenue In Juniata, North Philadelphia

Current site:

Project rendering:

Project site plan:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a warehouse at 956 East Erie Avenue in Juniata, North Philadelphia. The new building will stand one story tall and feature a sprawling footprint that allows for 592,312 square feet of interior space. The project will feature 44 loading spaces as well as 229 parking spaces, seven of these being accessible, and 104 of these for trailers. A total of 56 bicycle parking spaces will also be included. Construction costs are listed at $20 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:03 PM

Excavation Underway At 3503 Midvale Avenue In East Falls

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
Philly YIMBY recently made its way uptown to Northwest Philadelphia to check out local construction, and one of our site visits discovered that excavation is currently underway at 3503 Midvale Avenue in East Falls. The development is situated at the bottom of a hill on the west side of the block between Cresson Street and Warden Drive. Designed by M Architects, the building will rise five stories, span 26,477 square feet, and hold 33 apartments. Two commercial spaces will be situated on the ground floor. Features will include a roof deck, full sprinkling, and 15 parking spaces. Permits list Midvale Commons LLC as the owner, ANC Builders Inc. as the contractor, and a construction cost of $5 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/exca...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:08 PM

Construction Underway At The Anchorage At 4442 Ridge Avenue In East Falls

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has discovered significant construction progress at The Anchorage, a six-story, 136-unit mixed-use development at 4442 Ridge Avenue in East Falls, Northwest Philadelphia. Designed by HDO Architecture, the structure will span 174,544 square feet structure and feature a 10,500-square-foot commercial space on the ground floor, as well as full sprinkling and parking. Permits list 4501 Kelly Partners LP as the owner, Turn Key Realty LLC as the contractor, and a construction cost of $17.4 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/05/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:15 PM

Uhhh, what? This is sick!

The Northern Liberties Business Improvement District has just completed a vision plan that calls for narrowing Second Street and creating wide sidewalks with Parisian-style seating areas.

Quote:
Because of the shortage of parks in Northern Liberties, the group started by commissioning an open space plan from Port, an urban design consultant. and KieranTimberlake, the firm that oversaw the waterfront master plan. The ambitious scheme envisions a series of pocket parks along Second Street. One of those pocket parks would be built at Second and Spring Garden, on a linear strip that runs alongside the highway and is owned by PennDot. Right now, the site is a big, grass-covered mound. It’s the kind of pointless landscape you see on highways in rural areas. The BID would level the berm and turn the land into a usable urban park.

That’s just the beginning. The plan’s most inspiring idea is what KieranTimberlake calls “Market Green.” While not actually a market or a green, the project would transform a two-block stretch of Second Street into a tree-lined, Parisian-style thoroughfare. Like grand streets in the French capital, Market Green would have wide sidewalks, with an outer zone set aside for sitting and dining.

Second Street — now a treacherous speedway — would be narrowed, and the existing angled parking would be replaced by curbside parking. The design gets its name because the two-block area could be closed to traffic for big events, such as outdoor markets.
Article:
https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20220519.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:24 PM

Posting this again as this did not get NEARLY enough attention

PIDC seeks partners to develop massive biotech campus on 40 acres of Schuylkill riverfront property

Quote:
The Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC) is looking for partners for what it is billing as a "landmark life sciences development opportunity" in the city.

The city's public-private economic development corporation wants to create a massive cell and gene therapy manufacturing complex across two sites totaling about 40 acres on Southwest Philadelphia’s Lower Schuylkill riverfront.

PIDC, marketing the development opportunity site as the "Lower Schuylkill Biotech Campus," is offering exclusive development rights across two distinct “North” and “South” riverfront sites — each one encompassing approximately 20 acres. It will consider partners interested in the development of a single unified campus, or individual options, for development. When combined, PIDC said, the campuses can accommodate about 1 million square feet of biotech production space.

The campus is expected to generate more than 4,000 jobs.

The proposed Lower Schuylkill Biotech Campus will be a key part of the city's Lower Schuylkill Innovation District, which encompasses 75 acres of sites suitable for biotech companies at every stage of development. The Innovation District was established to transform a deteriorating 3,700-acre industrial corridor into modern business campuses for innovation.

Colliers Life Sciences and Little Giant Creative will lead the marketing efforts for the master developer solicitation on behalf of PIDC. PIDC's request for proposals is expected to be available June 9, and proposals will be accepted through Sept. 15. The next steps will be to narrow the field of those submitting proposals to a short list of finalists, meet with that group and negotiate a final agreement. PIDC's goal is to have a final agreement in place during the second half of 2023.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...cell-gene.html

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Because of the shortage of parks in Northern Liberties, the group started by commissioning an open space plan from Port, an urban design consultant. and KieranTimberlake, the firm that oversaw the waterfront master plan. The ambitious scheme envisions a series of pocket parks along Second Street. One of those pocket parks would be built at Second and Spring Garden, on a linear strip that runs alongside the highway and is owned by PennDot. Right now, the site is a big, grass-covered mound. It’s the kind of pointless landscape you see on highways in rural areas. The BID would level the berm and turn the land into a usable urban park.
I'm confused, isn't this an awful spot for a park? Like anyone not driven away by the noise will get lung damage spending time there? I get wanting to make the area around 95 less shitty but it's space around an above ground highway; you can't

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development