HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 8:34 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
and btw i dont think it's taxpayer money IF they do build it, im guessing the university is going to be paying for it.
Which would still be taxpayer money, just from the state not the City of Tucson, right? Or would the athletic department likely be able to pay for it entirely through boosters?

I generally think off campus stadia aren't the best idea for colleges. The Rose Bowl is neat and historic and all but it really suffers from being off UCLAs campus, there's just something nice about being able to tailgate/hang out at ones alma matter and then walk to a game.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Which would still be taxpayer money, just from the state not the City of Tucson, right? Or would the athletic department likely be able to pay for it entirely through boosters?

I generally think off campus stadia aren't the best idea for colleges. The Rose Bowl is neat and historic and all but it really suffers from being off UCLAs campus, there's just something nice about being able to tailgate/hang out at ones alma matter and then walk to a game.
HooverDam, what if it the $$$ comes from the state to fund an arena here in Tucson, would you support it? Would it bother you?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
HooverDam, what if it the $$$ comes from the state to fund an arena here in Tucson, would you support it? Would it bother you?
I wouldn't care as long as ASU got equal monies for athletic complexes.

E: VV I didn't realize the state chipped in for the Convention Center, so I guess helping for Tucson's arena would be "fair" but sadly for Tucson the fair has left town for a while...the state is broke.

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 3, 2011 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 6:53 AM
Skyriser

The State shared the costs for the expansion of the Convention Center with the City of Phoenix, so there's no inherent reason beyond this state's fucked deficit that it shouldn't happen with Tucson's arena.

The state's deficit and its beyond-obnoxious "starve the beast" philosophy of tax cuts, you can forget about their help any time soon. I would be opposed to State involvement with the arena when *everyone else* is getting shafted.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 1:19 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
I wouldn't care as long as ASU got equal monies for athletic complexes.

E: VV I didn't realize the state chipped in for the Convention Center, so I guess helping for Tucson's arena would be "fair" but sadly for Tucson the fair has left town for a while...the state is broke.
Fair enough. Yes, everyone is broke. But hopefully, when things pick up ( and it will pick up ), we ( Americans ) need to make every effort to rebuild and update our infrastructure. Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 1:22 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The State shared the costs for the expansion of the Convention Center with the City of Phoenix, so there's no inherent reason beyond this state's fucked deficit that it shouldn't happen with Tucson's arena.

The state's deficit and its beyond-obnoxious "starve the beast" philosophy of tax cuts, you can forget about their help any time soon. I would be opposed to State involvement with the arena when *everyone else* is getting shafted.
You just summarized our state's financial philosophy - starve the beast and F**K*D DEFICIT. Listen folks, I'd like to see a bullet train running down between Tucson and Phoenix (and Sedona, Flagstaff) ... it ain't gonna happen at least the next few years. Thanks Phoenicians! ...from a former Phoenician

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 8:39 PM
Tucsonan

I've just heard that The King Tut exhibit is going to be occupying the space previously used by the Titanic and Bodies exhibits in the Rialto Building. I already saw The King Tut exhibit in San Francisco but i'm excited at all the great exhibits Tucson is getting, i'll probably go to it again.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
View from A mountain (today's afternoon)

Put this on Wikipedia they need a new picture of Tucson

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:25 AM

Quote:
I've just heard that The King Tut exhibit is going to be occupying the space previously used by the Titanic and Bodies exhibits in the Rialto Building. I already saw The King Tut exhibit in San Francisco but i'm excited at all the great exhibits Tucson is getting, i'll probably go to it again.
I'll be one of the first ones there! I was a Classical minor at the U and took many courses in Egyptology. My last class was about reading and writing ancient Egypt hieroglyphs. This exhibit will be the closest to Egypt I can get to for awhile...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Put this on Wikipedia they need a new picture of Tucson
You guys should make a collage of major local landmarks like I did for the Phoenix page:

All the cool cities have them , see?

Boston
NYC
LA
Portland, Ore
San Diego

et cetera

I'm not sure what all would be key to incorporate into a Tucson one. A skyline shot of course, a shot of "A" mountain, something signifying UofA (maybe their Old Main), maybe the Fox theater...whatever.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:11 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
You guys should make a collage of major local landmarks like I did for the Phoenix page:

All the cool cities have them , see?

Boston
NYC
LA
Portland, Ore
San Diego

et cetera

I'm not sure what all would be key to incorporate into a Tucson one. A skyline shot of course, a shot of "A" mountain, something signifying UofA (maybe their Old Main), maybe the Fox theater...whatever.
I've actually been planning on doing this, it just takes a while to acquire all the pictures with all the appropriate copyrights et cetera. and theres no need to be so patronizing about it, saying things like "all the cool cities" and "whatever", it seems sort of rude to me. (but no matter, i dont really care just wanted to point it out that it comes off slightly rude like that when you read it) and I'd probably include Skyline, Pima County Courthouse, San Xavier, Biosphere 2, Sahuaro National Park, Summerhaven, McKale Center maybe, Agua Caliente Park maybe...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 7:31 AM

Quote:
theres no need to be so patronizing about it, saying things like "all the cool cities" and "whatever", it seems sort of rude to me. (but no matter, i dont really care just wanted to point it out that it comes off slightly rude like that when you read it)
I wasn't trying to be patronizing at all, quite sorry. I was being dumb and silly. I never realistically would use a phrase like "all the cool cities," I meant it in a silly way like "hey all the cool kids are doing it", like a bad line from an 80s after school special.

And my use of "whatever" was meant to be interchangeable with et cetera. I don't know Tucson like I know Phoenix, Central AZ and Northern AZ. So I was saying Tucsonians would have to make the decision on whatever images they felt were important and defined their city.

I chose the Biltmore Hotel, Camelback Mountain, the skyline of Phx, a saguaro, St Mary's Basillica and the Tovrea Castle for PHX. I probably should've tried to work in a Haver House though. I'd recommend you include things that are only within the Tucson City limits. There's lots of neat stuff near Phoenix or in its 'burbs, but its not really appropriate for that sort of use.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 9:26 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be patronizing at all, quite sorry. I was being dumb and silly. I never realistically would use a phrase like "all the cool cities," I meant it in a silly way like "hey all the cool kids are doing it", like a bad line from an 80s after school special.

And my use of "whatever" was meant to be interchangeable with et cetera. I don't know Tucson like I know Phoenix, Central AZ and Northern AZ. So I was saying Tucsonians would have to make the decision on whatever images they felt were important and defined their city.

I chose the Biltmore Hotel, Camelback Mountain, the skyline of Phx, a saguaro, St Mary's Basillica and the Tovrea Castle for PHX. I probably should've tried to work in a Haver House though. I'd recommend you include things that are only within the Tucson City limits. There's lots of neat stuff near Phoenix or in its 'burbs, but its not really appropriate for that sort of use.
well, when you put it in that context it isn't so bad, so no hard feelings, just figured you were trying to make some joke about Tucson. and i guess it makes sense for photos of things in city limits, rather than general area.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:57 PM
Emperor Disco I

Grady Gammage Center , Biltmore Hotel and the new entrance to ASU's Hayden Library are gems of Metro Phoenix's architecture ( been to all of them ).

If Tucson where to rebuild (and move) the Joel Valdez Library downtown, I'd like it to be based on the Pueblo Deco Architecture ( much like the Biltmore Architecture ). What can I say? I happen to like Art Deco Design .

I'm surprised about the success of that museum by the Rialto (a Tucson architecture gem ). Everytime I pass by that museum , there's always people waiting to get in. Another surprise is the Tucson Children's Museum ( I see kids with parents getting in that museum all the time ). Anyway, Pima Air Museum, my favorite museum, I'm hoping they would expand further ... can't get enough of that museum.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:08 PM
Emperor Disco I

Speaking of Art Deco, that would also be a perfect building architecture for a mix used building complex containing a grocery store chain and one or two big box retail store in the first few floors ( with apartments on the top floors ) here in downtown Tucson .

Downtown Tucson is growing but not fast enough. I know there are small stores around downtown but they are not creating enough foot traffic to visit downtown. I emailed about this to city hall (again).

Btw, I uploaded more photos at the Tucson photo thread

Last edited by acatalanb; Mar 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:47 AM

Sooo..about the bridge. any news on that?? Is it cancelled? On hold?
ehh? I think that Dowtown Tucson will look AWESOME with a short busy skyline with some modern cool looking glass buildings, and along with that bridge, that would be pretty dang cool.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:38 AM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmperre@gmail.co View Post
Sooo..about the bridge. any news on that?? Is it cancelled? On hold?
ehh? I think that Dowtown Tucson will look AWESOME with a short busy skyline with some modern cool looking glass buildings, and along with that bridge, that would be pretty dang cool.
The bridge is a huge question mark. It might come back considering all the $$$ spent on the consultants, blueprints, architect(s) etc... The current mayor ( who won't run for re-election) says it will be built.

You're right. Tucson skyline would look nice if it has more modern looking buildings. I'm hoping that light rail would be the 'gravitational attraction' for future high rise development.

I've read there's solar technology with panels that look like glass windows. Hopefully, whoever builds a glass high rise downtown would implement that technology.

I've been here in Tucson since 1990 and moved to downtown since May '10, I think downtown is the place to live in Tucson. Things that I need are within walkable distance but I'm hoping for more stores (like Walmart), retail, commercial imax movie theater etc... and that the transit center/train depot doesn't get moved to another place.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:49 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
The bridge is a huge question mark. It might come back considering all the $$$ spent on the consultants, blueprints, architect(s) etc... The current mayor ( who won't run for re-election) says it will be built.
Wait, what? The bridge? You're not talking about Rainbow Bridge are you?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:48 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Wait, what? The bridge? You're not talking about Rainbow Bridge are you?
Yes, that Rainbow Bridge. Btw, Are you against that Rainbow Bridge?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:12 PM
Skyriser

No, I'm beyond for that bridge. I think it'd be one of the most awesomely profound monuments in America if it were built.

I just haven't heard anything since it was dead in the water a couple years ago. Has something changed that I completely missed since then?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest