HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:00 PM

"No, The Other One"

Thought this forum would enjoy this; I know I did.

https://xkcd.com/2480/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:02 PM

Wonder if there's any New Yorker aware that the state of Wyoming contains no less than all of the following: an Albany, a Buffalo, and an Atlantic City

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Been to Las Vegas, NM, Houston, AK and Boston, KY. And of course Santa Fe/ Pasadena TX

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:11 PM

Why is there a Jersey Shore in the middle of PA?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

to be fair the Beverly Hills suburb of St. Louis is the same era as Beverly Hills, CA. I imagine its some sort of pre-war real estate developer British Isles reference fad.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:32 PM

Amusing that the Texas LA/SD are in the same spots as the California ones relative to each other!

- "Where's San Diego?"
- "A couple hours' drive southeast from Los Angeles."

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los+...3!2d27.7639145

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:34 PM

Portland Maine and Portland Oregon is my favorite because they're both major cities in their respective states. Newark Delaware and Newark New Jersey is a close second due to their proximity.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
to be fair the Beverly Hills suburb of St. Louis is the same era as Beverly Hills, CA. I imagine its some sort of pre-war real estate developer British Isles reference fad.
"The Prince just purchased a sprawling estate in Beverly Hills."
"The Prince is moving to suburban Missouri?!?!"
"No, the other one."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
"The Prince just purchased a sprawling estate in Beverly Hills."
"The Prince is moving to suburban Missouri?!?!"
"No, the other one."
There's decent potential for a fraudster whose business model would be selling very competitively priced mansions in Beverly Hills online / sight unseen to Qataris and Saudis, then the catch is that the property turns out to be in Missouri, which you'd have known had you read the fine print

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:55 PM

lol. to be fair st. louis and los angeles werent that far apart in 1920. st. louis was still a larger, wealthier metro at that point.

los angeles sprinted past at 1930 of course.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:59 PM

the developer of my pre-war “utopic” st. louis suburb went on to invest in palos verdes funnily enough.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
lol. to be fair st. louis and los angeles werent that far apart in 1920. st. louis was still a larger, wealthier metro at that point.

los angeles sprinted past at 1930 of course.
Okay, but Beverly Hills, CA (incorporated 1914) had more residents in 1920 (674) than Beverly Hills, MO* has even today (554). And by 1930, the CA city had 17,429 residents and the MO city had 938--its all time high population.

*I can't find any incorporation date for BH, MO and oddly enough, it doesn't even show up in the Census until 1940. Sorry, but Beverly Hills, MO appears to have always been "the other one."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Okay, but Beverly Hills, CA (incorporated 1914) had more residents in 1920 (674) than Beverly Hills, MO* has even today (554). And by 1930, the CA city had 17,429 residents and the MO city had 938--its all time high population.

*I can't find any incorporation date for BH, MO and oddly enough, it doesn't even show up in the Census until 1940. Sorry, but Beverly Hills, MO appears to have always been "the other one."
of course, not saying it was first but sort of painting the playing field circa 1920 i think is fair. there were a great many ww1 era real estate investments copy-cat named after places in the british isles. the fact that beverly hills ca became what we know it to be is of course relevant.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 10:18 PM

i think theres some taking for granted how the u.s. was weighted before 1950. los angeles was still thought of as full of poor okies and east coast scam artists and wasnt considered to be a “serious” place until the 1950s sort of like how large texas cities are today.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
There's a Beverly Hills, MI, too. Although I'm fairly certain that the name has no connection to Beverly Hills, CA, I can't find any information about how it was named. But a few other municipalities in that area use "Hills" in their names.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
of course, not saying it was first but sort of painting the playing field circa 1920 i think is fair.
It's unclear if Beverly Hills, Missouri even existed in 1920, though. That was my point.

Quote:
i think theres some taking for granted how the u.s. was weighted before 1950. los angeles was still thought of as full of poor okies and east coast scam artists and wasnt considered to be a “serious” place until the 1950s sort of like how large texas cities are today.
I think that timeline is off.

Okies came during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression in the 1930s, and they certainly made their mark, but they were by no means the majority of the population, ever. The LA Times estimates that as many as 500,000 Okies moved to the state in a decade that held title to the state's slowest growth rate of the 20th century until about 1980.

Contrast that with the massive movement of people into California upon America's entry into WWII. California grew 53% in the 1940s, and much of that was from the millions of people who brought their families with them so they could work in the massive military installations and defense plants that proliferated up and down the state during the war. They came from everywhere, and included the forefathers/mothers of California's modern African American communities. After the war, many of those servicemembers and former defense plant workers settled permanently, altering the state forever.

California was a 'serious place' well before the mid-1950s, and the state's position on the Pacific coast during WWII had a lot to do with that.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 11:08 PM

talking about the perception of los angeles pre-1950.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
There's a Beverly Hills, MI, too. Although I'm fairly certain that the name has no connection to Beverly Hills, CA, I can't find any information about how it was named. But a few other municipalities in that area use "Hills" in their names.
yes, this is what i’m talking about. there was a slew of recycled pre-ww2 place names used across the united states for early automobile-era real estate developments and even before and a lot of them were regurgitated/altered place names from the british isles.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:22 AM

I don't entirely know the history, but it is entirely possible that STL was a larger and more prestigious metro than was LA in 1920.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:29 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Portland Maine and Portland Oregon is my favorite because they're both major cities in their respective states. Newark Delaware and Newark New Jersey is a close second due to their proximity.
I like the story behind Portland, Oregon.

Asa Lovejoy and Francis Pettygrove were two Oregon politicians. They were trying to come up with a name for the city.

Lovejoy, who was from Massachusetts, wanted to call the city Boston.

Pettygrove, who was from Maine, wanted to call it Portland.

So, they flipped a coin.

Pettygrove won. Had it flipped the other way, it would've been known as Boston, Oregon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions