HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Does the term "stacked townhouse" mean anything outside of Toronto? If I google the term, all I get is Toronto-area examples.

It's basically a townhouse development (so both your right and left walls are attached to your neighbours'), but the units are also stacked above and below each other and there is a unit behind you as well, so you only have one exterior-facing wall. Every unit gets its own exterior entrance like a walkup.

^This is a great cutaway, but also not a common layout. Typically, the lower unit is a single floor, is smaller (usually a 1 bedroom), and the unit is partially below grade (by a few feet, so it still has full-sized windows, not little basement portholes). The rooftop deck for the top unit, instead of a yard, is pretty common, though.
Brownstones in NYC were historically built out something like this - as four-story, two-unit buildings, with the basement/first floor one living space, and the third/fourth a second. Though with the extreme gentrification of much of Brownstone Brooklyn, some have been converted into single-family homes.

I have heard of rowhouses attached back-to back in the UK, but not in the U.S. As they only had access to natural light on one side they were pretty undesirable.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Does the term "stacked townhouse" mean anything outside of Toronto? If I google the term, all I get is Toronto-area examples.
I live in a unit referred to as a "townhouse". It is a 2-floor unit and there is another such unit below me (and 2 commercial/amenity floors below that) so there are 2 of these units "stacked" on the 3-4 and 5-6 building floors (below street level there are 2 floors of parking garages also). I have almost identical units on either side, but none above and none front and back so I have exposure in 2 directions and skylights.

This is a fairly common sort of thing in the podium portions of newer tower condos in San Francisco. I don't know if it meets your definition exactly or not since I have 2 exterior-facing walls and not just one.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I live in a unit referred to as a "townhouse". It is a 2-floor unit and there is another such unit below me (and 2 commercial/amenity floors below that) so there are 2 of these units "stacked" on the 3-4 and 5-6 building floors (below street level there are 2 floors of parking garages also). I have almost identical units on either side, but none above and none front and back so I have exposure in 2 directions and skylights.

This is a fairly common sort of thing in the podium portions of newer tower condos in San Francisco. I don't know if it meets your definition exactly or not since I have 2 exterior-facing walls and not just one.
It's a townhouse. My mom lives in something similar but is above a one-floor apartment, so she has the second and third floors. No one above or behind her and she can access her place through the front and back door.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
It's a townhouse. My mom lives in something similar but is above a one-floor apartment, so she has the second and third floors. No one above or behind her and she can access her place through the front and back door.
I lived in a two-level apartment on the second and third floors, with a single-floor unit beneath mine on the ground floor. My unit was referred to as a townhouse and the unit below was just an 'apartment.'

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 4:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
A duplex in NYC always means a two-floor apartment unit. Usually a luxury unit, with interior staircase or elevator access. Loft floors don't count.
"Duplex" is used similarly in Chicago, but not just for luxury 2-floor units in highrises. It is most frequently applied to 2-floor condo units in the city's ubiquitous flat buildings.

Our home is the first floor and finished basement of a 3-flat, which in the local real estate market is referred to as a "duplex down". The other common variation is a single unit on the top two floors of a flat building, which is called a "duplex up".

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 6:52 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
"Duplex" is used similarly in Chicago, but not just for luxury 2-floor units in highrises. It is most frequently applied to 2-floor condo units in the city's ubiquitous flat buildings.

Our home is the first floor and finished basement of a 3-flat, which in the local real estate market is referred to as a "duplex down". The other common variation is a single unit on the top two floors of a flat building, which is called a "duplex up".
This took some adjustment to hearing when I lived in Chicago. In the south a duplex is almost always a single story structure (very rarely two stories) with two separate units each taking half the slab with a ground level entrance for each unit on either side of a forward protruding attached garage.

See this street:

https://goo.gl/maps/KcyuTpaBW9TxenGK8
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions