HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 3:54 PM
The City

Chicago is a leader in the weed industry

Interesting how this new industry is playing out. 3 of the 5 biggest weed companies is based in Chicago:

Quote:
The city is home to three of the five biggest public companies in the United States that grow and sell marijuana: Green Thumb Industries, Cresco Labs and Verano Holdings.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/mari...con-valley-pot

But even more interestingly, as an anecdote we came downtown yesterday for the first time in a while. Now, I’ve been coming to downtown Chicago for decades and something was noticeably different:

It smelled like weed.....everywhere. I know that recreational weed is legal here now but...hot damn! Talk about a sudden surge of unrepressed demand. We’ve got a regular weed party going on over here on the streets.

Is this the case everywhere? I don’t know what Chicago’s future in the business of weed holds, but in the consumption its already shaping up to be a superstar according to my olfactory sense.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 3:56 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

well, like everything else in illinois everything is centered on chicago. in california and other states this stuff is much more decentralized. missouri has very loose medical marijuana law like the old california law and everything is also very decentralized.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 3:58 PM
The City

^ You don’t think that Downstaters are joining the party?

On the business side of things, obviously Chicago is the place. But on the consumption end....well...weed can grow anywhere..

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You don’t think that Downstaters are joining the party?

On the business side of things, obviously Chicago is the place. But on the consumption end....well...weed can grow anywhere..
i havent seen much in downstate dispensaries from downstate. its all chicago companies...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:05 PM

as far as the dispensaries are concerned - theres a vegas chain in southern illinois sort of taking over.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:16 PM

We evolved so much improving tobacco etiquette only to be replaced for an even smellier smoking habit.

I really don't get this US fascination over weed. It's almost like a very impressionable teenager discovering the broader world outside their parents suburban house.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
We evolved so much improving tobacco etiquette only to be replaced for an even smellier smoking habit.

I really don't get this US fascination over weed. It's almost like a very impressionable teenager discovering the broader world outside their parents suburban house.
because its a relatively low risk high reward escape from reality.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
With an order of magnitude less negative impact than our society's other major legal recreational drug.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
There's nothing wrong with this concept. However, we shouldn't make other people smell your smoke. It took decades to make tobacco smoker to realize that, and I hope it won't take that long with marijuana.

Now, it's a more subjective taken, I really find that US/Canada fascination childish. It's only a drug and it's not like people in the US won't take tons of other drugs anyway. And it's not only me. Netherlands started restricting marijuana in part due annoying and noisy American youngsters disturbing their streets.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
lolwut. Tobacco smoke is far more noxious than weed, and it gets into everything - clothes, furniture. You know immediately when you enter the home of a tobacco smoker. Weed smoke clears out within hours, you'll never know someone smoked in the room, even if you sniff the upholstery. And some people find it quite pleasant smelling.

Quote:
It's considered a productivity drug like caffeine and cocaine in certain industries.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
With an order of magnitude less negative impact than our society's other major legal recreational drug.
absolutely.

i guess the weed smoke smell thing is something else but a lot of people vape in the u.s. anyway so its pretty mitigated...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with this concept. However, we shouldn't make other people smell your smoke. It took decades to make tobacco smoker to realize that, and I hope it won't take that long with marijuana.

Now, it's a more subjective taken, I really find that US/Canada fascination childish. It's only a drug and it's not like people in the US won't take tons of other drugs anyway. And it's not only me. Netherlands started restricting marijuana in part due annoying and noisy American youngsters disturbing their streets.
In part due to American tourists? In a miniscule part at best.

Pre COVID of all foreign tourists, which includes the EU, visiting the Netherlands 6% were from the United States.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:49 PM

March 11

River North - "ESSCS team bringing awareness to racial discrimination in the cannabis industry"

and pointing out a small bit of Irony.

Ex-Cons for Community and Social Change

note this is not an endorsement - seem like nice guys.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I really find that US/Canada fascination childish.
it's not about childish fascination, it's about correcting a nearly century-long wrong.

weed prohibition was every single bit as stupid and wasteful as alcohol prohibition was.

Not to mention the uncountable number of lives that it wrecked over the decades via America's asinine "war on drugs/industrial prison" complex.

Thank Pizza God it's finally going the way of the dodo.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 21, 2021 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:28 PM
The City

^ I would agree. I did a lot of it in my younger years and while I haven’t partaken in a very long time, I was always puzzled as to why weed was illegal. I’m glad we’ve moved towards correcting that mistake.

And I’m also glad that this industry has made Chicago its dominant home, at least up till now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think opening up a Pizza shop in Chicago will provide 10000% in profits. I should open one directly next to the pot shop.

Chris's Al Dente Munchies Pizza Shop.

Open 24/7, for our most demanding and repeat customers.

Because Lord knows that after a good hit of Sativa, the taste of Pizza in one's mouth is nirvana. Add a little bacon in the mix, and everything is 100% perfect. I've done the math on this. The perfect factor is 100/100.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 6:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Weed is great for chronic pain. As soon as my assbackwards state allows for medical marijuana, I am going to get an Rx.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:

Its funny you mention that because the first thing everyone has noticed with legal marijuana is how the market clearly has a preference for edibles over smoking it. I'd argue that legal weed has reduced the number of people who consume it via smoking it.

I have friend in Oregon and a cousin in Colorado who both work in the industry. Both say the same thing: Edibles are the majority of their dispensaries sales. Only reason people smoked it prior to legalization was because there was no legal market to produce alternative products.

My own personal experience: I use to smoke marijuana back in the day but ever since I received my green card (medical marijuana) in Hawaii I've shifted to a mouth spray and edibles. With legalization there are alternative products and many of us would rather take it without damaging our lungs.

As for Americans fascination with marijuana... well people have been consuming marijuana in both North, Central, and South America for a very long time. The acceptance of marijuana for personal consumption in the Americas seems to be greater than it is in Europe, Asia, ME, and Africa.

Last edited by floor23; Mar 21, 2021 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:

The U.S. is coming to terms with a bunch of hypocritical laws that destroyed the lives of many people for no good reason.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 6:59 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
March 11

River North - "ESSCS team bringing awareness to racial discrimination in the cannabis industry"

and pointing out a small bit of Irony.

Ex-Cons for Community and Social Change

note this is not an endorsement - seem like nice guys.
Isn't Gateway Foundation a rehab place? Now THAT is ironic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions