HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 8:38 PM

Same thought here....looks like Baydo. A bit disappointing considering the architecture company.

Oh well.....still support infill like this!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 11:44 PM

Honestly, while we cannot see too many details, I think I love it. It seems to have a simple, yet modern aesthetic. Also, if the podium is a dark brick (like you see all over Toronto), then I’m a big fan.

Can someone confirm that this is 100% going ahead as we speak? I hope the work being done on-site is not just some preliminary assessments etc. Disclaimer: I don’t know anything about construction. That’s what you guys are here for.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 1:44 PM

Based on what I can see this looks much better than Baydo’s. Assuming higher quality materials similar to the exterior finishes of the Kindrachuk office building up the street.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 4:06 PM

It is pretty basic looking, but I think it's a little more asthetic than Baydo on Broadway. One thing that I think is important to remember is the increasing density will mean more local residents to keep local Broadway businesses thriving!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:37 PM

yes i agree that infill and density is a wonderful thing, as for the quality of materials that may be used, in my opinion only, assuming is a good word if it is a condo, hoping would be the word if it is a rental.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:57 PM

Do we know yet if this is a condo build or an apartment rental build?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 12:38 AM

Looks like excavation work has started at the mystery baydo site in Evergreen. Based on the lack of any news available I'm thinking the real estate brochure I linked may be wrong and it's something smaller but that's just a guess.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Do we know yet if this is a condo build or an apartment rental build?
The article about this build from February refers to it as an apartment tower, so I imagine it's going to be rentals https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...partment-tower

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:48 AM

This would be a lot better proposal for the downtown elementary school and our need for more social housing - could go on the empty lots at River Landing!
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coal...Oth-86-yiPq0Y0

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 6:21 PM

Under no circumstances is there enough money in Saskatoon for that type of project. We need to be more realistic .

Some positive projects on the-go:

1. Baydo Broadway
2. Mid-rise off Broadway by Extra Foods
3. Dufferin & Main 17 story apartment
4. Knox Church condo
5. Baydo twin-towers downtown

Lots to be excited about to bring more vibrancy to our core!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:14 PM

haha true. Hopefully the amount of condos going up continues - I feel like concrete is the highest cost since it’s very unstable in demand here. I wonder if using more concrete for roads vs asphalt by the city would lower concrete costs here to incentivize more developments. My hometown has switched a lot of roads to concrete to save long term - having concrete roads here (atleast downtown) would be a massive bump to quality of our downtown.
Now that Baydo owns a crane, maybe more local developers will buy these expensive high rise things that should be owned by our local developers as they grow

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:23 AM

This site isn’t even mobile friendly let alone tiktok friendly baha, but found this tiktok really insightful on why we should be seeing less full window builds as more modern builds are now doing inset windows - sort of similar to Baydo (although they do it to the extreme to not just save energy costs but also window costs).
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSJbgfm4V/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Now that Baydo owns a crane, maybe more local developers will buy these expensive high rise things that should be owned by our local developers as they grow
I wouldn't be holding my breath for that. Even most major General Contractors don't own their own tower cranes. They are typically either rented from a crane supplier or owned by the formwork subtrade. They are actually less expensive to rent than one would expect. A big chunk of the cost is the erection and dismantling of a tower crane and the installation of the crane base required to support it. Factor in the engineering, inspections, maintenance & insurance required for a crane, combine it with the sporadic need for one and it simply doesn't pencil out to own your own.

Not really sure how Baydo came to own theirs. Though from what I've heard about their struggles to get it certified for use on 880 Broadway, it's a decision they may be regretting.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:33 AM

Well word on the street in Evergreen is that the baydo site is only doing 80 units right now so nothing crazy. Excavation has started. Seymour Pacific is also starting another development in the same area.

I really don't understand who's supposed to move into all these developments but I guess that's not my problem

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 11:31 AM

The graffitti’d/rotten roof 3rd Ave Church is about to get some reno’s
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-united-church

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
The graffitti’d/rotten roof 3rd Ave Church is about to get some reno’s
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-united-church
Work on the roof has already started!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:54 AM

Not sure what this project actually means / what was the press release about? lol

but seems exciting for downtown - more greenspace? maybe the province will finally give up its massive surface parking lot next to The Bess. https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/new-par...work-1.5534820

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:58 PM

Saw the National Park story on the news last night and then watched it again in the link. To call it light on details would be an understatement.

Personally, I'd be surprised to see any "new" park space come out of it. I'd expect it mainly to be an infusion of cash from the Feds to Meewasin, probably to be used to upgrade or enhance the existing park and trail system through the city or perhaps extend it further. Hopefully, the federal funds don't come with too many strings attached.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Saw the National Park story on the news last night and then watched it again in the link. To call it light on details would be an understatement.

Personally, I'd be surprised to see any "new" park space come out of it. I'd expect it mainly to be an infusion of cash from the Feds to Meewasin, probably to be used to upgrade or enhance the existing park and trail system through the city or perhaps extend it further. Hopefully, the federal funds don't come with too many strings attached.
I would actually prefer a cash infusion - Meewasin’s trails aren’t as high quality as most national parks and we deserve the same quality services as Banff or Ottawa’s parks. I didn’t even realize Meewasin’s downtown center was still open - I thought they closed it after Sask Party cut the funds. Maybe it’s actually still closed.. that’s a good place to start as kids want to learn more about the valley.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 1:49 AM

Does anyone know if there’s a new Starbucks going on the other side of Stonebridge? I see a few drive thru’s popping up over there - one looks like a BK, and I think the other is a Starbs?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan