HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Hail, fellow hiker!

CaliNative, I took the Sierra Madre trail. I did it on December 31, 1969. If I recall correctly, very near the summit, it joins the toll road's path.

Me, near the bottom of the trail:

odinthor collection

Me, at the top:

odinthor collection

The Old Man Rock's site, as far as I can guess, would have been in the canyon straight down directly behind me.
Hail! Yes, you are correct, the trail does join the toll road coming in from the west near the summit. I made my hike in 1970, probably a few months after you. There were parts of the trail back then that were in pretty bad shape. And I recall that "Orchard Camp" at about the halfway point appeared to be abandoned. A relic of an earlier era of hiking. It looked lonely and long abandoned. We stopped there for lunch though. Lots of trees and shade near the creek. Interesting to experience the vegetation transition from chapparal to oak/bay laurel to conifer trees as you go up. We even saw some red barked madrona trees above Orchard Camp, which are not very common in SoCal, especially as drought increases. Nice views.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 2, 2021 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 12:49 PM

CaliNative, I remember it exactly as you do.

The previous rainy season had been unusually heavy, and washed-out portions of the trail had been restored in a "well, this will do for now" manner.

Same as you, I had lunch at Orchard Camp; and remember its abandoned appearance. One little thing I remember was that evidently at some time long previous, it had been planted with garden flowers, as I found a patch of non-native Bearded Iris at the camp. I had intended to take an offset on the hike back down; but we were in a hurry and I forgot.

I had a third photo from the hike which I didn't include in my other posting; but . . . your message mentioned its precise subject-matter, the trees, so here it is:

odinthor collection

Here, we're in the upper reaches, where the conifers are starting to show up.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

CaliNative, I remember it exactly as you do.

The previous rainy season had been unusually heavy, and washed-out portions of the trail had been restored in a "well, this will do for now" manner.

Same as you, I had lunch at Orchard Camp; and remember its abandoned appearance. One little thing I remember was that evidently at some time long previous, it had been planted with garden flowers, as I found a patch of non-native Bearded Iris at the camp. I had intended to take an offset on the hike back down; but we were in a hurry and I forgot.

I had a third photo from the hike which I didn't include in my other posting; but . . . your message mentioned its precise subject-matter, the trees, so here it is:

odinthor collection

Here, we're in the upper reaches, where the conifers are starting to show up.
Yes, 1968-1969 (or was in 69-70?) rainy season was a wet el nino year, with over 25 inches in the flatlands and maybe double that in the mountains if I recall correctly. The 1965-66 season was also very wet. That would cause the trail damage we saw.

Looking at your lower pictures of the fairly lush conifer growth. Aren't many of the conifers in the foreground "big cone spruce" (actually a variety or subspecies of Douglas Fir)? I hope some of that survives all the drought and fires in recent years made worse by climate change.

I haven't been up there for over 30 years (now live in San Diego area). Has the Mt. Wilson area and other parts of the San Gabriel front range been spared the fires and drought? Hopefully the next rainy season will be wet.

As far as Orchard Camp goes, I believe it's heyday was pre 1930, during the "Great Era of Hiking" in the San Gabriels. It looked long abandoned when I went by. I wish I had been around to take the Mt. Lowe Railroad to the top. That was a huge tourist draw in the early 1900s. The red cars brought you right to the Mt. Lowe base, then the train up with a hotel on top. There were all the camps---Orchard, Sturtevant, etc. That was the great era of hiking. The Great Depression finished them off. We have regressed since then. There used to be steelhead in the L.A. River. The wild animals must be struggling too. Probably why all the bears come down into the neighborhoods in the foothills. Sad.

We old timers remember how things used to be Memory of that hike still vivid-hard to believe it was 51 years ago. Time flies. I don't feel old but I guess I am. I like to think I could still make that hike. I climbed Mt. Whitney at 60.

Maybe the rains will return to the west. The monsoon season has been heavy, which is good. Almost too much rain & flooding in AZ/CO. At least the Colorado River will see more flow, and maybe the lakes will refill a bit. Now, we need lots of rain & snow in California this winter. God, are you listening? Bring us an el nino atmospheric river to help the forests and wild animals. Amen.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:54 AM

Quite interesting descriptions of your trek(s), odinthor & Calinative. (thanks for including the photographs odinthor) You're a fine looking lad.

Here's a fine photograph of the Orchard Camp Store.

sierramadrelibrary

This is the former location of the Halfway House on the Old Mount Wilson Trail.

At first glance I thought the 'W' was made out of a discarded wagon wheel.

The description of the photograph - Here

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:48 PM

"What's being built?"

This negative was on eBay earlier in the week. (undated)

eBay

The 110?...The 101?

update:

I just realized there's a 2nd negative that includes City Hall.

eBay

So that pretty much solves "What's being built."...We're looking west on the future 101.

. .so No mystery.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 3, 2021 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:05 PM

Mystery location.

Neg / eBay

I'd like to get a better look at the old wooden building behind the garage bays. (the one with a ladder on the roof)

Here are the elderly man and woman in a second photograph.

Neg / eBay

Is she wearing wooden shoes? She might be Dutch.

I'm kidding about the shoes. (but they do look wooden)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 4, 2021 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:16 PM

Here's one last negative for today.

eBay

I was confused at first because the Angel Flights trolley looks like it's perpendicular to the building next to it....(it's obviously an optical illusion)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 3, 2021 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

eBay

I was confused at first because the Angel Flights trolley looks like it's perpendicular to the building next to it....(it's obviously an optical illusion)

IMO the car has been removed and is awaiting to be hauled of to "storage"

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:13 AM

...I thought that too, at first, rickm.

The Allright Parking sign looks like the back of the trolley. If you put your thumb over the sign, the trolley 'straightens up' & is, in fact, parallel to the side of the building.

Ta Dah!...

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 4, 2021 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:42 AM

Quote:
...I thought that too, at first, rickm.

The Allright Parking sign looks like the back of the trolley. If you put your thumb over the sign, the trolley 'straightens up' & is, in fact, parallel to the side of the building.

Ta Dah!...
Indeed...an optical illusion. The parking sign gets in the way.

I'm interested in the little wagon thingy near the older gentleman. I guess he uses it to lug around his stuff. It seems to be missing a set of wheels. He should have "borrowed" a shopping cart. His posture and appearance, especially the way he pulls his pants up halfway to his chest leaving his socks exposed, reminds me of "Carl" in the film Sling Blade. I bet he is handy fixing small appliances. Uhhh huh

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 4, 2021 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 5:07 PM

Older Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
IMO the car has been removed and is awaiting to be hauled of to "storage"
Fred (formerly Benny Hill stand in) the first arrival in L.A. homeless community.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:22 PM

For today's mystery location we have a . . .

Car fire!

eBay

Let's take a closer look at that burning car.

detail

Didn't Jimmy Hoffa drive a car like this one?

The firemen in action! (and street numbers)

detail

That's me on the right, if I were a fireman.

The best clue, albeit a blurry one.

detail of detail

Get to work nla minions!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 7:37 PM

The recessed building also has some writing at the top, cut off then ATION - maybe a number after it? STATION 6 or ? Underneath a word that I first thought was APARTMENTS, but I don't now.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Mystery location.

Neg / eBay
I have no idea where this is but I can guarantee that is nowhere near as cool today.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:

eBay

The parking sign causing the optical illusion appears to be on the left of the following photo, taken in the opposite direction and around the same time perhaps.

HuntingtonLibrary

View of the Angels Flight incline railway at the intersection of Hill Street and Third Street in the Bunker Hill neighborhood of downtown Los Angeles, California, with the Royal Liquor store (with campaign signs for Robert Steinberg, Robert Wilkinson, and Tom Bradley for mayor in the window), automobiles, and the Pacific Telephone Tower and microwave tower (now the AT&T Tower) and other skyscrapers visible.

Hand written in pencil on the back of the photo is "Angel's Flight - 1968" but the Library cataloger thinks the date is 1969, based on the campaign cards related to the April 1, 1969, Los Angeles mayoral primaries. Angels Flight closed on May 18, 1969.

And the man in the top photo is standing in front of the Grand Central Market (indicated by the striped awning at top).

GrandCentralMarketHistory

Although on the Market's Website they have the photo above captioned "Grand Central Market Exterior at Broadway 1935. It's definitely not 1935.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Aug 4, 2021 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Mystery location.

Neg / eBay

Am I correct that to the left of the Douglas Gasoline sign pole I see a woman AND a small child standing there?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 10:00 PM

The Petersen Automotive Museum has been referenced a dozen or more times over the years, but only a couple visuals of it posted:

Quote:
[...]
below: Today the SEIBU building hosts the Peterson Automotive Museum.

google street views
[...]
Petersen Automotive Museum redesign:

Video Link

[...]

The AMPAS Museum's been getting more and more publicity as it's pre-opening and offficial opening date is approaching. The following picture is one you don't see often.

Michael Nyiri/Flickr

I was just wondering what any of your opinions are on the Petersen Museum design? Frankly, I don't know if I like it or not, really, but what I do know is that I don't like, maybe even hate these two buildings in the same photo. (Or in person.) It's like oil and water to me and I'm really repelled by it.

Also, in the above photo you'll notice Wilshire Blvd. looking a bit shabby...lots of work has been going on in Los Angeles along Wilshire and elsewhere with new subway construction...this intersection will have a subway stop on the Purple Line extension:

LACurbed

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Am I correct that to the left of the Douglas Gasoline sign pole I see a woman AND a small child standing there?
makes me think we are looking at Griffith Park or Elysian park in the background.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:48 AM

Quote:
my best guess is Riverside and Fletcher, but what do i know? its now an Arco station.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:54 AM

Quote:
I was just wondering what any of your opinions are[/B][/SIZE] on the Petersen Museum design? Frankly, I don't know if I like it or not, really, but what I do know is that I don't like, maybe even hate these two buildings in the same photo. (Or in person.) It's like oil and water to me and I'm really repelled by it.

Also, in the above photo you'll notice Wilshire Blvd. looking a bit shabby...lots of work has been going on in Los Angeles along Wilshire and elsewhere with new subway construction...this intersection will have a subway stop on the Purple Line extension:

LACurbed
IMHO, the Petersen's façade looks like what it is: tacked on to an existing structure. That usually doesn't work regardless of the style (think all the classic DTLA buildings sheathed in mid-century modern sheet glass). If the façade was organic to the building, it may have looked better. Kind of looks like a melting roller coaster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos