HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
WAS perhaps you mean--it WAS the opposite when the economy WAS booming. Most of the people I see moving out of CA now are techies moving to other tech cities like Austin and retirees cashing in on their long-time CA homes and moving to places where housing is cheaper.
The NY Times started this meme of tech folks fleeing the Bay Area, and they've started walking it back now (it was never true at any meaningful scale):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/15/t...area-back.html

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Poor people seem way more geographically mobile than middle class people of any level. Not being attached to sticky things like mortgages and professional networks makes it easy to pick up and move on the fly.
This. I've never seen anyone say differently.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Anybody know the cost to build in California? Say one buys land, say 0.33 acres, would it be cheaper to build in Cali versus buying one of those ridiculously priced used homes? Say a 2500 sq-ft home?

Say $130-200 per square foot, your still in the win I feel. I suppose land would be the biggest expense?

IDK... I can't speak for Cali, only for tri-state, hence why I'm asking.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
If California is a failing state, San Francisco is its spiritual capital
By Josh Gohlke
Aug. 29, 2021

The sight of a stroller leads most Americans to expect a glimpse of the baby within. But those of us habituated to the streets of San Francisco know any apparent infant transport is just about as likely to contain an annoying little dog.

It turns out there’s statistical support for this impression. Recently released 2020 census results show that of the nation’s 100 biggest cities, San Francisco ranks dead last in children.

College towns, retirement enclaves, rust belt relics: None beats our city for sheer barrenness. Portland has about a third more children per capita than San Francisco; New York City has over 50% more.

From this perspective, it’s no wonder the city’s school board keeps devolving into petty political misadventures bearing no relationship to its ostensible raison d’être, which it famously spent much of the past year neglecting. Children and parents just aren’t much of a constituency around here.

Not to pick on one small, sclerotic city. As is often the case, San Francisco is just the most extreme example of what’s happening across the region, which is in turn pointing the way of California at large. The rest of the Bay Area has more children than the city, but its population got older faster over the past decade.

It doesn’t take a cohort of crack demographers to sort out why. The Bay Area is so price-prohibitive that any ordinary family is hard-pressed to support its adults, let alone any freeloading children taking up precious square footage without pulling down a Big Tech salary.

One recent study put the income a family of four needs for basic necessities in the region, astonishingly, at six figures. The analysis, by the United Ways of California, estimated that one in four Bay Area households — more than 600,000 — can’t really afford to live here.

That doesn’t include all those who have already been forced to decamp to the hinterlands in search of subsistence. The statewide portrait drawn by the study is, in fact, worse: One in three California families, and one in two with children under 6, doesn’t make enough to get by, and that was before the pandemic. The struggling families are disproportionately Black and Latino and overwhelmingly include a working person.

The greatest burden they face is, of course, housing, which consumes more than a fourth of what a Bay Area family needs to survive.

Again, no mystery here. Consider what the census data revealed about Bernal Heights, a San Francisco neighborhood beloved and desired for its “communal,” “small town” feel. That may be because despite being in the heart of a major employment and transportation center in the world’s fifth-largest economy, Bernal Heights possesses all the dynamism of a walled Balkan village. In the past decade, The Chronicle reported, the neighborhood has not gained one building with more than four housing units — or, not coincidentally, added a single soul.

This is not because of any shortage of demand to share in the pastoral glories of Bernal Heights’ improbable resemblance to a remote mountain hamlet. It’s because its residents and representatives, with all the vigor of our most xenophobic advocates of border security, have succeeded in strictly suppressing housing supply. As a consequence, the median price of a home in the neighborhood has more than tripled over the past 20 years, to $1.6 million.

Thus the Bay Area increasingly exiles all but the wealthy to places farther from their jobs and closer to the consequences of climate change, such as wildfires and extreme heat, which they in turn exacerbate by driving more — or, worse, forces them to sleep on couches, in cars and on the streets. This in a city and region where nearly everyone claims to care deeply about the environment, equality and humanity . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...d5ac356600061b

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:21 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Anybody know the cost to build in California? Say one buys land, say 0.33 acres, would it be cheaper to build in Cali versus buying one of those ridiculously priced used homes? Say a 2500 sq-ft home?

Say $130-200 per square foot, your still in the win I feel. I suppose land would be the biggest expense?

IDK... I can't speak for Cali, only for tri-state, hence why I'm asking.
$200/sf? Possibly in the Central Valley in a more rural location. Maybe?
In Santa Barbara the costs of any new custom builds are running in the $600/sf range on the VERY low end. Tracts are few and far between but are running in the low 400s/sf currently.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
$200/sf? Possibly in the Central Valley in a more rural location. Maybe?
In Santa Barbara the costs of any new custom builds are running in the $600/sf range on the VERY low end. Tracts are few and far between but are running in the low 400s/sf currently.
I don't know the build costs--any of us can probably look it up--but the sales prices of SF condos long since passed the $1000/sf mark.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Good article. It's a shame how regressive/racist/anti-poor/anti-community people can get. And that's in one of the (allegedly) most open-minded places in the world.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Good article. It's a shame how regressive/racist/anti-poor/anti-community people can get. And that's in one of the (allegedly) most open-minded places in the world.
Current example: A little bit of infill on a narrow lot which preserves the facade of a neighborhood institution that, you may appreciate, serves Portuguese food in spite of its name

Quote:
But Planning had received a number of letters in opposition to the project at the time of its approval, primarily from owners and residents of the “Austin” which was built next door, with stated concerns ranging from the project’s impact on the light, air and private terraces of the Austin’s units that currently overlook the site, to a “lack of parking” and “over-supply of housing in the neighborhood” (when taking the pipeline of local proposals into account).
https://socketsite.com/archives/2021...hallenged.html

"The Austin" is a much larger new condo building and this is the first time I've encountered an allegation that anywhere in San Francisco has an "over-supply of housing". Basically the Austin owners don't want to look at this neighbor and, if they own lower eastward facing units, possibly have their views of Nob Hill blocked.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Why are you posting this article? Don't you oppose the upzoning of the large single-family swaths of the city? I remember you freaking out at my suggestion that neighborhoods like the Sunset should be up-zoned to support increased density in another thread.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Why are you posting this article? Don't you oppose the upzoning of the large single-family swaths of the city? I remember you freaking out at my suggestion that neighborhoods like the Sunset should be up-zoned to support increased density in another thread.
I post articles that I don't necessarily agree with if they make a point reasonably. In this case, building more housing does not necessarily conflict with my views.

Yes, I oppose rezoning single family neighborhoods because I find it entirely unnecessary in San Francisco. There are plenty of opportunities like the one I posted just above to add lots of housing in areas where multifamily or multi-storied structures already exist. There are miles and miles of streets like Geary and Third which are already commercial and could have 8-12 floors of residences built above the one and 2-story storefronts that exist there now without disrupting single family neighborhoods at all.

All San Francisco and California need to do is get rid of the crazy planning policies that allow one person or a small group to hold up and sometimes block development that conforms with existing zoning.

I never "freak out". You must be thinking of someone else. I do oppose ridiculous ideas but that's not "freaking out".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions