HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 4:17 PM

Honestly in my opinion council flew too close to the sun pretending to care about homelessness. Two councilors called them out on it through a lawsuit. And Masters is really mad because she wants to just keep this at the hopes and prayers for homelessness and doesn't really want to have to take a stand on it.

If I were a councilor I would want this to go in at budget time, then I would vote against it because there is no way I think only the city should be footing the bill for this, and the tax increase would just cause exurb growth and harm the city long term. This is a provincial and countrywide problem, not just a Regina problem.

Oh and Masters calling the lawsuit sexist is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard a mayor say in my entire life, no exaggeration.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:56 PM

Council Approved Proceeding with a process for Rapid Housing Initiative (RHI) Applications for up to 3 Projects last meeting. This is the same Federal Government funding stream that the Silver Sage/Big Block Project on Broad that is now more than a year behind schedule came from.

Much needed Affordable Housing hopefully will be under construction by next year!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:24 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/12/09/m...rce-breakfast/
We are not social services. We are not health. We are not mental health. We are not corrections. It’s not us. The services that are required to serve the homeless populations do not belong and are not resourced by the city of Regina,” says Masters.

I totally agree with here

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/12/09/m...rce-breakfast/
We are not social services. We are not health. We are not mental health. We are not corrections. It’s not us. The services that are required to serve the homeless populations do not belong and are not resourced by the city of Regina,” says Masters.

I totally agree with here
Well, that’s too bad for her because neither the province, nor her peers (and those who she truly represents) in the room she was speaking too, are doing anything and it’s the community’s responsibility to help our most vulnerable. This cruel and sociopathic passing the buck needs to stop and our leaders need to find some courage to do what’s right. Masters is the most pathetic, craven, self-interested mayor Regina has probably ever had.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 9:02 PM

We need to address homeless.

City, province, national. I don't care.

People need help and we need better leadership from mayor, premier, and prime minister.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 10:09 PM

The reason people are talking about homelessness is because it is so evident in our downtown. We keep hearing about how we need our downtown to be vibrant because, bottom line, downtown properties pay a lot of property tax. But no one wants to go downtown and deal with the homeless. They want free parking six feet from the door where they are going or they complain there is no parking downtown. We all know the downtown has a lot of parking. A lot of people won't park and walk 2 blocks because they don't want to be harassed or panhandled.

Maybe there are a lot of assumptions that homeless are responsible for crime. The police want yet another budget increase (and they have received a budget increase every year since 2011).

Maybe the mayor doesn't want to talk about homelessness, but it is apparent that there is an appetite for that discussion. Yes, it's shouldn't just be on the city. The province needs to help but has no interest. Awassis got federal funding to extend their hours overnight for their warming shelter but we can't look to the feds for everything while our premier focuses on rage farming and our mayor focuses on new shiny projects. There is only one taxpayer and we can only hand over so much money.

Last edited by StealthGirl; Dec 9, 2022 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 11:05 PM

There is probably the best Mayor Regina’s ever had because if the previous mirrors were the thunder job like belt their aquatic centre built a new library and other things we would not be in this problems since when is that the city‘s responsibility to look after all the homeless people it’s amazingly OK to help but there comes a time or you say no

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 2:12 AM

If we want to capture the balance of what the Mayor ended up saying...clearly homelessness and resolving it is something that is on her radar, despite what some like to portray. There is obviously a contingent here that does not own real estate and/or property and feels that those that own it should be required to reach deeper in their pockets to cover the costs when we already pay a helluva lot of money to the province and federal government in taxes which is where the responsibility lays, exactly as the Mayor has laid out.

Balance of quote that was cut off in an earlier post:

“I can tell you, when we show up to broker deals with not-for-profit, community-based organizations with the provincial and Federal governments, things advance. So, I think we (the city) have a coordinating role. I think we figure out how to convene and bring folks together and come up with ideas.”

She went on to say that the city is expected to be a partner when addressing homelessness.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
If we want to capture the balance of what the Mayor ended up saying...clearly homelessness and resolving it is something that is on her radar, despite what some like to portray. There is obviously a contingent here that does not own real estate and/or property and feels that those that own it should be required to reach deeper in their pockets to cover the costs when we already pay a helluva lot of money to the province and federal government in taxes which is where the responsibility lays, exactly as the Mayor has laid out.

“I can tell you, when we show up to broker deals with not-for-profit, community-based organizations with the provincial and Federal governments, things advance. So, I think we (the city) have a coordinating role. I think we figure out how to convene and bring folks together and come up with ideas.”

She went on to say that the city is expected to be a partner when addressing homelessness.
I don't disagree that we should be a partner, but I see far more worrying about big shiny things REAL/Semple/business owners/developers want and less concern about the day to day stuff and the unglamorous maintenance of the city. Council pushes a lot harder for their legacies than for the NIMBY stuff like getting rid of parking minimums and increased density, both things we need in this city.

And not that it matters, I am a homeowner and I do pay property tax so if you are lumping me in that group that doesn't pay, go away!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post

What a ridiculous comment. I own my home but renters pay property tax through their rent. Tackling homeless would be expensive and I would gladly take a property tax increase to do it but guess what is more expensive? Ignoring it! I’m pretty sure I’ve already mentioned this but it seems some people don’t want to learn. Maybe numbers are too hard, I don’t know. Another thing is is the people who are against helping our society’s most vulnerable seem fine with throwing money at things like the police and these sports and rec facilities. The hypocrisy, selfishness and greed is so obvious.

Last edited by djforsberg; Dec 10, 2022 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:44 PM

https://youtu.be/PT8OU8Yhs_s
This is what is going to happen in Regina watch the whole video it’s scary

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
https://youtu.be/PT8OU8Yhs_s
This is what is going to happen in Regina watch the whole video it’s scary
Its scary because that homeless person can be one of us, or a friend, or a family member. My brother is on the verge of becoming one of those people. I don't know what the video concludes is the problem and I might watch it when I have the chance, but I know what the problem is and I may trigger some people here who are afraid of any kind of criticism of capitalism. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that the rise of housing costs, the stagnation of wages, and the utter meaningless of our profit-driven society has turned people to drugs and the streets. This is what economic inequality looks like, despite what some posters suggest is not a Canadian problem.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Its scary because that homeless person can be one of us, or a friend, or a family member. My brother is on the verge of becoming one of those people. I don't know what the video concludes is the problem and I might watch it when I have the chance, but I know what the problem is and I may trigger some people here who are afraid of any kind of criticism of capitalism. It doesn't take a genius to conclude that the rise of housing costs, the stagnation of wages, and the utter meaningless of our profit-driven society has turned people to drugs and the streets. This is what economic inequality looks like, despite what some posters suggest is not a Canadian problem.
Actually watch the video this is real , this is most likely want you want to happen

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Actually watch the video this is real , this is most likely want you want to happen
I will (it's 55 minutes long) but considering the below from his Youtube channel, I doubt we're going to be on the same page. The market fundamentalist "lower taxes" dogma is exactly how we got here. Trickle-down economics is a lie. These people need well-funded public services, not less of them. And if this is a critique on harm reduction, it's going to be a solid no from me, dog. People aren't on the streets because of their ability to get safe drugs. In fact, people are alive because of it. Pierre Pollievere's recent video about this is horrifying and is a blatant call to just let these people die.

Quote:
Throughout, Aaron has demonstrated his commitment to lower taxes, less waste and a stronger Canada.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The premise of the video is that homelessness is the result of the failure of governments to deal with the root problems of addictions and mental illness. I totally agree with that. The Government would rather give someone a tent than have sufficient addiction treatment.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The premise of the video is that homelessness is the result of the failure of governments to deal with the root problems of addictions and mental illness. I totally agree with that. The Government would rather give someone a tent than have sufficient addiction treatment.
Well, that I agree with. The problem is who our governments are working for. Even the NDP in BC have to stay in their lane and resist making any radical changes that would threaten private interests and instead sprinkle in a few things here and there to act like they are doing something. This problem won’t go away until there is massive collective effort which will require radical policies that will not be cheap in the short term.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:35 PM

He wants it to be part of the proposed two year budget plan, and is looking to the courts to force the city Manager, Niki Anderson to include it.

The idea would add 487 dollars to the average property tax bill next year, and 143 dollars the year after that. It was rejected for that reason.
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/12/13/c...f-kings-bench/
This is absolutely insane

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
He wants it to be part of the proposed two year budget plan, and is looking to the courts to force the city Manager, Niki Anderson to include it.

The idea would add 487 dollars to the average property tax bill next year, and 143 dollars the year after that. It was rejected for that reason.
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/12/13/c...f-kings-bench/
This is absolutely insane
It is not the job of the city manager to reject it. That's city council's job. The figure given by admin is the platinum model cost, which is definitely not the only option. This was all clearly designed to fail.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 8:58 PM

https://leaderpost.com/
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...to-city-budget
A King’s Bench judge has ruled against an application seeking an order to add operational funding to end homelessness to the City of Regina’s proposed 2023 budget.
Good now he should be let go

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
https://leaderpost.com/
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...to-city-budget
A King’s Bench judge has ruled against an application seeking an order to add operational funding to end homelessness to the City of Regina’s proposed 2023 budget.
Good now he should be let go
I’m not surprised you don’t know how municipal politics works. I for one expected nothing different but at least it lit a fire under people’s asses.

I spoke at city council today, against the police budget knowing full well that it wouldn’t change the outcome. What matters is getting your message out there and starting conversations. The fight isn’t over and we will keep battling for real justice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan