HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:48 PM
BANNED

I don't know if any of you follow American politics, but the courts are used all the time to hold people and entities accountable, including politicians and states.

Anyways, Leblanc is himself a lawyer, so I'm guessing he knows what he's doing.

It's quite sad that people here are more concerned about how this looks than the idea that there's hundreds of people in this city who are homeless. I for one am glad Leblanc is taking every avenue he can to force the issue.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 10:13 PM

This seems like an ill-conceived publicity stunt. I cannot believe he actually thinks this lawsuit would succeed.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This seems like an ill-conceived publicity stunt. I cannot believe he actually thinks this lawsuit would succeed.
Well, it has people talking about it and again, we should be talking about how ridiculous it is that we are prioritizing police, baseball stadiums, and pickle ball courts, over making sure our most vulnerable don't have to live on the streets. Do you not get that?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Well, it has people talking about it and again, we should be talking about how ridiculous it is that we are prioritizing police, baseball stadiums, and pickle ball courts, over making sure our most vulnerable don't have to live on the streets. Do you not get that?
In Canada we don't use the Courts for publicity stunts. He is going to get slammed for this.

Why didn't he just propose a motion the fire the City Manager?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
In Canada we don't use the Courts for publicity stunts. He is going to get slammed for this.

I don't know, he probably should. The city manager is refusing to follow through with something the entire council and mayor agreed on.

Why would he get "slammed" for this? If its frivolous, won't it just get thrown out?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 11:42 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/11/23/p...ncrease-taxes/
Plan to end homelessness would cost $630 in increase taxes

By Tanner Wallace-Scribner
Nov 23, 2022 | 3:27 PM
The City of Regina’s administration has put a price on what it would take to end homelessness.

The city said in a report that the city would have to increase taxes by 21.73 per cent in 2023 and by 4.24 per cent tax rate in 2024.

The increase would result in $487.08 annually in 2023 and $142.80 in 2024 for the average homeowner.// I guess all the homeless can move to Regina now because the city will look after you

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Why? because he knows he doesn't have the support of Council on this and there are likely reasons why thats the case.

So what does he do? reverts to publicity stunts that wastes taxpayers dollars. Instead of being professional and working to gain consensus amongst Council, he creates shock and awe division.

I can't actually believe Clr Stevens went along with this, I expect this from Leblanc, not Stevens.

This is a great example of two privileged educated white men attacking a new female city manager to attempt to bully a solution that they think is the only one available. Pretty pathetic.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Why? because he knows he doesn't have the support of Council on this and there are likely reasons why thats the case.

So what does he do? reverts to publicity stunts that wastes taxpayers dollars. Instead of being professional and working to gain consensus amongst Council, he creates shock and awe division.

I can't actually believe Clr Stevens went along with this, I expect this from Leblanc, not Stevens.

This is a great example of two privileged educated white men attacking a new female city manager to attempt to bully a solution that they think is the only one available. Pretty pathetic.
Hahahaha what a load of crap. Won’t anyone think of the taxpayer!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 12:48 AM
BANNED

The fact she pulls the sexism card, especially when this lawsuit is being filed on behalf of a woman, shows me that Masters is definitely the worse modern mayor Regina has had. If this lawsuit is nothing then why is she so visibly upset and throwing out shit like that? Is this how she acts anytime she doesn’t get her way?

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 24, 2022 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/11/23/p...ncrease-taxes/
Plan to end homelessness would cost $630 in increase taxes

By Tanner Wallace-Scribner
Nov 23, 2022 | 3:27 PM
The City of Regina’s administration has put a price on what it would take to end homelessness.

The city said in a report that the city would have to increase taxes by 21.73 per cent in 2023 and by 4.24 per cent tax rate in 2024.

The increase would result in $487.08 annually in 2023 and $142.80 in 2024 for the average homeowner.// I guess all the homeless can move to Regina now because the city will look after you
Solving homelessness is expensive. Not solving it is also expensive. So let’s include it in the draft budget so it, and other items, can be debated. Then we can get it on record that the mayor and certain councillors would prefer building a baseball diamond over pursuing the housing first policy they all have promised.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 3:58 AM

I read a really good explanation about this earlier today but I can't recall. Basically the gist of it is that council voted this had to be included in the draft budget. Then it will be debated, probably talked down to a more reasonable amount of funding before they put it to a vote and we can see how each councilor votes. Putting in the draft budget or not is not the city manager's decision. Council directed them to do it.

I suspect that some councilors are hot under the collar because they will have to vote publicly on the homelessness motion and put their opinions in the discussion and they don't like it. Odds are there will be some push to try to get this in-camera instead of in-public but they don't have grounds to move it in private.

Yes, using the courts is a big stick, but it's an important issue for our city, especially when a lot of people are starting to question what council's priorities are. And wow, Masters calling it sexism is crap. I don't think I've ever seen her look so wired in a presser. I'd love to know what's being said behind closed doors these days.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:11 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:47 PM

At the end of the day, a non-elected official decided to disobey the legally binding orders of elected officials. And we're not talking about some unconstitutional orders where there is a moral duty to refuse, we're talking about including some budget info in a draft budget (which we all know won't pass as it stands). I don't see how this isn't grounds for dismissal of the city manager...except maybe Regina can't find anyone else to do the job, what with our history of hiring and firing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:59 PM
BANNED

Something just doesn't smell right to me. With all this BS, stealing funds from transit, the "efficiency review", and other things, it seems like Masters is trying to turn City Hall into a facilitator of events for her friends in the sports, entertainment, and hotel industries to benefit, while ignoring everything else. I hope more people speak up. Municipal government is the most important level of government, yet it gets the least attention. Hopefully this recent drama changes things.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 3:05 PM

Stefani Langenegger talked to Masters this morning, but I missed it so I'm waiting for it to be posted. I'm not impressed with Masters lately and it's nothing to do with her being a woman. It's entirely to do with her laser focus on her pet projects and ignoring other issues that aren't of personal interest.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 3:20 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Stefani Langenegger talked to Masters this morning, but I missed it so I'm waiting for it to be posted. I'm not impressed with Masters lately and it's nothing to do with her being a woman. It's entirely to do with her laser focus on her pet projects and ignoring other issues that aren't of personal interest.
Pretty much status quo for our mayors of the last while. How far back do we need to go for a reasonable mayor?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I don't know, he probably should. The city manager is refusing to follow through with something the entire council and mayor agreed on.

Why would he get "slammed" for this? If its frivolous, won't it just get thrown out?
The judge is likely to harshly criticize him. They will get court costs warded against them.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The judge is likely to harshly criticize him. They will get court costs warded against them.

I guess we’ll see. If that’s a cost they’re willing to take for their selfless cause, well it’s more sacrifice than our mayor would ever make for something that doesn’t personally benefit her.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 8:15 PM

https://www.cjme.com/2022/11/24/mast...-city-manager/
Masters says she’s still stunned this is being taken to court and can’t be dealt with in the council chambers.

“I’m incredibly disappointed in what has transpired. We have mechanisms procedurally that if we have two councillors that want to address an issue with our city manager, they can get four other councillors to call a meeting,” she explained. “They chose not to do that and it is quite curious to me as to why that would be the case.”

Masters calls it atrocious that Anderson is being taken to court, especially since she only started in her role on Nov. 1.

“There is almost no words I have for this,” she said.

Masters explained the numbers council wanted
I’m with the mayor on this one it sounds like the Activist should be taking to court what are they trying to do bankrupt the city , how stupid can she be the more you give the more they want look at is happening to Vancouver because of situations like this the city is being destroyed

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 9:32 PM

This is like a board member suing his own CEO. So bizarre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan