HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
With Durrant as QB for the Riders I am really liking the Bombers chances.
Huh!? You are able to judge Durant's abilities while he is on the sidelines and injured? Any true Rider fan who follows the team from training camp to the off-season, would have seen that he was better than ever before last season started. Especially his arm. Then a(nother) freak injury knocked him out in the first game. This is bad luck, not (yet) an indication of an injury prone football player (the elbow injury in 2014 would have happened to any QB in the same situation). Mark my words, a healthy Durant is a top 3 CFL QB today. He is also the heart and soul of our team. When he plays, our entire team is better, including defense. Not saying our season would have been much better, but if Durant was playing, we would have won more of those closer games and we would have had less blow outs. I cannot wait to see our franchise QB, who took us to three Grey Cups (and won one), light it up this upcoming season.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 9:32 PM
arf

^Sure he is, but probably for only one or two more seasons. Life is usually not nice to quarterbacks, especially those that put them into situations to get hit a lot. The Riders exit strategy should have been in place by now.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 11:55 PM

Seen the pattern with enough quarterbacks in the league to notice the pattern that once a qb has several injuries, related or not, their abilities on the field start to suffer. Elliot looked amazing in the game when he tore his ACL. Came back the next year and wasn't the same. Lullay in BC is another prime example. We will see come July...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Seen the pattern with enough quarterbacks in the league to notice the pattern that once a qb has several injuries, related or not, their abilities on the field start to suffer. Elliot looked amazing in the game when he tore his ACL. Came back the next year and wasn't the same. Lullay in BC is another prime example. We will see come July...
First of all, who's Elliot? How many Grey Cups has he won or even played in?

Secondly, if you're going to use someone as an example in an argument, at least know how to spell his name... Lulay...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 7:10 PM

There is a pattern with some quarterback's injuries like ACL's and rotator cuff problems. Lulay has had the same issue since NFL Eurpope - thats why he's in the CFL.

There are quarterbacks that defy the pattern - Mike Reilly. He is getting better and is actually a really good QB now. People liked him because they thought he was tough - actually it was a demonstation of his lack of ability. He couldn't make his reads or throw into coverage so he took off running like a two day old colt. The game is now slowing down for him, he is making his reads, throwing better and running less.....and getting injured less.

Its hard to say where Darian will be but he was just entering his prime when we lost him a 27 games ago.....I hope he can pick up where he left off.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 7:21 PM

Dressler is going to make the whole Blue Bombers thing difficult. It used to be easy to dislike the bombers. Now with Dressler, Willy, and LaPolice......they are almost likeable.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:48 PM
arf

^No they aren't. The only thing that makes the Blue Bombers not completely repugnant is they are not Calgary.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^No they aren't. The only thing that makes the Blue Bombers not completely repugnant is they are not the Riders.
Fixed your typo for you.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:58 PM

So what the heck is up with the Bombers and free agency? Shologan, Andrew Harris, Ryan Smith, Medlock......Some really good signings but some of the $ salary figures being tossed around must be wrong. Lawless reporting $175K for Medlock? Not even Brendan Taman would pay that much for an import kicker.

None the less, great signings by the bombers. But I can't help but wonder if Kyle Walters forgot to set his alarm and woke up a year late. Why the hell weren't they this active last year when they were hosting the cup?

I may even cheer for the bombers this year when the riders aren't playing.....cheer quietly.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
None the less, great signings by the bombers. But I can't help but wonder if Kyle Walters forgot to set his alarm and woke up a year late. Why the hell weren't they this active last year when they were hosting the cup?
^^^ This

I expected this kind of FA frenzy a year ago. GC ticket sales would have probably been a lot stronger had the Bombers been a contender... in some ways it would have been a lot cheaper to have done this last season when more of the $ would have been recouped. But better late than never, I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^^^ This

I expected this kind of FA frenzy a year ago. GC ticket sales would have probably been a lot stronger had the Bombers been a contender... in some ways it would have been a lot cheaper to have done this last season when more of the $ would have been recouped. But better late than never, I suppose.
I can't remember free agency last year....maybe the talent wasn't there last year?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:20 PM

^ Yes, the crop was much better this year... might have been the best ever. But there was still room to sign a few guys, pull off a trade or two. The only FA I recall Wpg signing last year was Stanley Bryant...

Oh yeah, there was Sam Hurl too...

And Darvin Adams wasn't bad. But not much of a splash at all last year.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:45 PM

^^ It ultimately comes down to butts in seats. Heard lots of talk that even people that accepted the Bombers three year commitment for a Grey Cup ticket discount were walking away from their season tickets. Three seasons of season ticket holder losses in the thousands and a non-existent walk-up market has to be screaming loudly in the Bomber offices. It is definitely an exciting day to be a Bomber fan but one has to wonder if Walters wakes up with a crazy hangover tomorrow and realizes he spent the cap and still doesn't have a functioning o-line.

That said, it is interesting to see the Riders have been relatively quiet after the new head coach released about half the team before free agency even hit.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 11:17 PM
Hmm....

Word is that Jones prefers to scout and bring in talent that way... There are rumours that there are currently 20+ people on the scouting staff at the moment (some mode short term contracts I'm sure), and that they've been scouring all over the states + had a large contingent at some large college event down there. If true, this would be a massive departure from the past, when we really only had 2-4 scouts max at a time (other than coaches/the GM evaluating talent).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 12:08 AM

They have to field 7 canadians and they are a bit skinny in that area. The one big tree to shake Canadians loose is free agency. Scouts won't help with Canadian talent other than ranking the knowns that are already out there. I suppose if they don't stock up on Canadians on defense in the next day or two.....the trade market is the only source left. Not many Canadians contribute in a meaningful way fresh out of draft.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:15 PM

The thread, breathes a sigh of new life....

Saskatchewan Roughriders No. 1 draft pick asks for trade

Josiah St. John wants out after contract talks stall

Quote:
An anonymous source with knowledge of negotiations between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and their number one draft pick says Josiah St. John's agent asked for a trade days ago...
Con't..@

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rade-1.3614058

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
The thread, breathes a sigh of new life....

Saskatchewan Roughriders No. 1 draft pick asks for trade

Josiah St. John wants out after contract talks stall

Con't..@

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rade-1.3614058
Every day of training camp that goes by he is worth less to the Riders and any other team. His agent is a fool. Also $52K is the minimum salary so I doubt the CBC report is accurate.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Every day of training camp that goes by he is worth less to the Riders and any other team. His agent is a fool. Also $52K is the minimum salary so I doubt the CBC report is accurate.
This is not a good situation we are in.....but I trust Jones/Murphy to make better of it than the previous admin.

Last time around with this agent, Matt O'Donnell asked to be traded and we ended trading O'Donnell, a first round pick, to EE for Greg Carr - a washed up import receiver that lasted half a season. (Mind you Carr was 6'6" or something so Jones may have bit on that one too).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:58 PM

Time for Rider fans to enjoy your limited time on an even footing with the reset of the CFL. You will be back to living in the basement in a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
This is not a good situation we are in.....but I trust Jones/Murphy to make better of it than the previous admin.

Last time around with this agent, Matt O'Donnell asked to be traded and we ended trading O'Donnell, a first round pick, to EE for Greg Carr - a washed up import receiver that lasted half a season. (Mind you Carr was 6'6" or something so Jones may have bit on that one too).
He was a second rounder and was 6'11'!!. He actually thought he would be drafted by the Celtics. He tried the NFL in 2015 but was cut. I think he is back with the Schmoes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan