HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Mazda tried selling a low range EV and it went nowhere fast.
The 500 has the cute novelty factor, the Mazda would have been just another Mazda. if you're commuting from Surrey or Delta it would be perfect, though it does make it more likely their drivers wanting to charge at work, as has been discussed in the Vancouver thread about The Post.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Where and when? Because Fiat seems to be doing just fine with these in Europe. Not every car needs to be a C$55k Tesla with 500km of range. I find car companies run into trouble when they don't address a niche properly. Like Mazda did with the MX-30. A medium sized CUV having 100 miles of range is a problem. A tiny city car having 115 miles of range is just fine. "Fit for purpose." - a phrase I wish Tesla fans understood.
You answered your own question, the MX-30. Calling it a medium sized CUV is a stretch, it's a 2 door vehicle. It's a great city vehicle except for the range. Consumers have voted with their wallet, and it has been a complete flop.

I'm not saying 500km is required. I referenced 300km above, which is a good number considering possible contingencies (weather, etc.).

The smaller the battery, the slower the charge, even when fast charging.

The Fiat 500 with 180km has a niche, but unless it's $20k out the door, nobody is going to opt for it (my opinion of course).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
At the same time, car makers not producing terrible cars that nobody buys just to say they have a $10,000 model doesn't mean cars have become more expensive either. That's why you have to control for quality - which is what CPI does.

As for me saying things repeatedly, I have quoted sources which you summarily threw out.

As for another example:

1995 Accord 4-dr EX. $22,295 ($43,596 USD in 2022).
Vehicle Length - 184 inches.
24mpg.
34 inch rear leg room.
145hp.

2023 Honda Civic LX - $24,650 USD.
Vehicle Length - 182.7 inches
33mpg.
37 inch rear leg room.
156hp.
Far superior safety features, heated seats, navigation, etc.

Which vehicle would you rather have? The way I see it, the 1995 Accord is roughly twice the price of the equivalent vehicle in 2022.

I had to move "down' a model for the comparison as vehicles have grown as they have become cheaper and the market has changed, as I said. What was once a mid-sized vehicle is now a compact, and compacts have basically disappeared. The Civic actually has 3 inches more rear leg room than the accord did in 1995.

Regardless, CPI does a much better job of controlling for this than a few examples thrown out on a message board can. Cars are cheaper and better than ever.
You're arguing that cars are better value, not that they're cheaper. This discussion was initially about young people not being able to purchase cars due to manufacturer bloat.

I "threw out" the CPI data because you were misusing it. I suspect you still don't understand what the CPI data is showing if you're doubling down on it.

An illustrative example: The index new car goes up in price 5k over 10 years. Until 2022, the CPI pegged the index used car to this price increase. Lets assume they're using a factor of 0.8.
New car original price: 15
New car price now: 20k
Price Increase: 33%
Used car original price: 5k
Used car new price: 9k
Cost of acquiring new car has gone up from 10 to 11k, for a 10% increase. This is what the CPI passenger vehicle purchase index is measuring, not the actual selling price of new cars. This is also what the CPI uses to "control" the numbers. The downside of this approach is it doesn't reflect the cost to first time vehicle purchases or younger buyers, who do not have trade ins to offset the cost of purchase and are now facing far higher MSRPs than ever before (even if those cars are of higher quality).

Like I said earlier, I suspect the CPI index will actually show that purchase price index went down in 2022 because they've finally decoupled used cars from new cars, and the rise in price of used cars has outpaced new cars. The cost of acquisition may in fact go down this year, which is plainly not true. If the used car market collapses next year, we may then see a sudden jump in the CPI index if new car production resumes.

Quote:
Yeah they constantly increase the size then introduce a smaller model.

F150s 15 years ago are the size of Rangers today.

A Camry from 2000 is the size of a Corolla today.
The Ford F150 of 2013 has a length of 541-636 cm. The 2023 F150 ranges from 532cm to 636cm.
The base Ford Ranger XL starts at 39k, about 20k (or 100%) more than a base F150 XL in 2013. A mid tier 2023 Ranger XLT is still 32% more expensive (41 vs 31k) to a mid tier F150 XLT from 10 years ago.
Toyota's only car smaller than the Corrola is the more expensive Prius. The cheapest car they sell today is 50% more than the cheapest car they sold 10 years ago.

Quote:
Mazda tried selling a low range EV and it went nowhere fast.
The MX30 was a low volume unit that was tremendously over priced. It was a compliance car. It also sold out.

Last edited by theman23; Dec 7, 2022 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I would wait. Dealers have too much leverage right now.
Yeah, I think I'll wait two years and see if the situation changes. By that point my vehicle will be over 12 years old and I can feel assured that I got my money's worth from it

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:01 PM
你的媽媽

Gotta hand it to the Canadians. Best car review channel on Youtube right now!

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Here's what I see on chevrolet.ca:

2022 SPARK
FWD LS Manual

Total Vehicle and Options
$10,398
Destination Freight Charge
$1,800
Dealer Fees
$699
Net Price
$12,897

It all depends what we're using as the starting price. In theory you can buy this vehicle for $12,900, or pressure the dealer for a discount, but then there are taxes.
Very interesting. Wonder why it's so much cheaper in Canada. This is what I see on the US website:

2022 SPARK
FWD LS Manual

Total Vehicle and Options
$13,600
Destination Freight Charge
$995
Net Price
$15,595 (excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:39 PM
recession proof

^The Canadian Spark LS manual doesn't have AC.

I only found one in stock in Edmonton, but decided not to waste time test driving it. I really wanted one in the marshmallow color they offered in 2020-21.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
You're arguing that cars are better value, not that they're cheaper. This discussion was initially about young people not being able to purchase cars due to manufacturer bloat.
Physical size and cost to manufacture don't have a high correlation in the automobile world, but pricing and vehicle size are highly correlated in customers' minds.

Cars can be cheap, but the lack of sales of Honda Fits, Chevrolet Sparks, and Nissan Micras over the last 15 years have proven that it's an almost dead market.

'The kids' didn't buy new, even when it was cheap. Why the heck would automakers chase a dead market at no margin? Might as well make the entry level something that makes a few bucks. Sucks for the few who want deals and the new car smell, but there's just no business case.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:47 PM

^ I like small, basic cars, but I would feel uncomfortable driving around a subcompact/city car on roads dominated by Silverados and F150s. It's sad that it is that way, but it's the truth.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I like small, basic cars, but I would feel uncomfortable driving around a subcompact/city car on roads dominated by Silverados and F150s. It's sad that it is that way, but it's the truth.
I think that thinking is why we end up with bigger vehicles. Not saying there is anything wrong with it or that I disagree with you, although there is always going to be a bigger vehicle out there than what you have.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base View Post
I think that thinking is why we end up with bigger vehicles. Not saying there is anything wrong with it or that I disagree with you, although there is always going to be a bigger vehicle out there than what you have.
It's not like I went out and bought an H2 Hummer

I just wouldn't feel comfortable driving around in an exceptionally small car like a subcompact/city car. I might feel differently if I lived in downtown Montreal or whatever.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 8:00 PM
recession proof

If I feel like wasting gas, I can easily out accelerate the pick-up brigade from stop lights etc; on Vancouver Island in the Nanaimo area I ran into a small man who couldn't handle being passed by a wee car. He almost rolled over when the cop nailed him ha. Generally speaking, RAM & GM owners seem the most immature.

In Alberta and Winnipeg I saw many Micras and Sparks amongst the pickups and SUVs. Contrast to Quebec where I saw many farmers driving Micras and it was refreshing to see so many sedans.

From the late 80s until her death in 2010, my aunt drove a K10 Micra "van" (the cheapest version without rear windows) across Ireland, France etc which lasted 400,000 miles.

I didn't really notice the size of my car until I spent about a week sleeping in it around Calgary and Edmonton, but eventually found sleeping on an angle across the front seats better than the rear hatch. It's a joy to drive downtown Toronto where the small turning circle comes in handy. I just wish it had AC, as I'm planning a trip to Texas next year.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Dec 7, 2022 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:52 PM

More so waiting for these futuristic cars to be built and manufactured because the flying car is a reality or it will be within the next decade or 2

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 1:30 AM

I think there was some discussion of used car prices here (or in the EV thread). Interesting article in the Globe & Mail on prices this week:

....In February 2020, a month before the pandemic was officially declared, the average asking price for used cars on AutoTrader’s Canadian website was almost $27,000. In 2021, prices skyrocketed, driven by myriad factors including supply shortages and strong demand, before finally peaking at $38,097 in June 2022.

Prices fell in July, and, beginning in August, have been dropping at an increasing rate month-over-month, according to AutoTrader’s data. Between September and October, average asking prices dropped 1.1 per cent to $37,141.

Despite that, used cars were still 20 per cent more expensive in October than they were at the same time last year, and are well above prepandemic levels.

Andrew King, managing partner of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants, said he’s not expecting prices to revert to their historical norms. “[Used vehicle prices] are unlikely to get back to pre-COVID levels. It’s just not going to happen,” King wrote in an email....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...dont-expect-a/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 2:06 AM
你的媽媽

Makes sense. As long as prices of new cars keeps going up, so too will used car prices. Higher priced new cars can push buyers towards used cars, increasing demand, and then there’s a trickle down effect down the entire spectrum. You used to be able to get a high mileage (150-200k miles) but reasonably well running car like a Tercel or Corolla for $1-2k. Now we’re looking at $2-4k.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:38 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton got rid of parking minimums 2 years ago. What has happened since then?

Too soon to see full effects, but some developments going ahead with minimal parking

Madeleine Cummings · CBC News

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...then-1.6680750

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 5:29 PM
the first stamp is free

Esquire - this link is for you. I started watching Throttle House (they are awesome) over the holidays, and I thought you might find this video informative...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uqg...=ThrottleHouse

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Esquire - this link is for you. I started watching Throttle House (they are awesome) over the holidays, and I thought you might find this video informative...

Yeah, Throttle House is great. I also liked ON-based Straight Pipes. The others I watch regularly are Carwow and Autogefühl. Which is weird because Carwow's Matt Watson is totally hyper and Thomas on Autogefühl is the exact opposite. The only trouble with those two is you see all the great cars Europe gets and we don't.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Great video. Thanks for posting it.

It also brings about the question of what happened to sedans that don't transmit every pavement irregularity directly to the butt of the occupants. Before the 1990s, most cars in North America were designed to give a soft ride and be comfortable highway cruisers. Then, the shift to better handling with stiff suspension and low profile tires happened and now just about every car handles like a sports car of the past, but ride comfort has suffered.

I'm thinking that with modern suspension technology we should be able to arrive at a happy medium with a reasonably soft ride but still with good road manners. These days I'm thinking that people who want a softer ride and don't care much about razor-edge handling are buying large 4-door pickups and SUVs, as there are no equivalent sedans that offer this. Maybe that's partially responsible for the 'decline of the car'?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Makes sense. As long as prices of new cars keeps going up, so too will used car prices. Higher priced new cars can push buyers towards used cars, increasing demand, and then there’s a trickle down effect down the entire spectrum. You used to be able to get a high mileage (150-200k miles) but reasonably well running car like a Tercel or Corolla for $1-2k. Now we’re looking at $2-4k.
It's a prediction based on inventory not building back. I don't buy it. If there's a recession, car prices generally will tank. And we're already seeing some very interesting behaviour from auto lenders that portends a coming glut:

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/st...HlS8jZLxA&s=19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada