HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
That seems to be typical attitude these days. Like I said earlier it's a thankless job.
Being a cop is the furthest from a thankless job.

For a job that requires a two year community college diploma, police officers start off with a high 5 figure salary that easily crosses into the 6 figures after just a few years. They retire at 60 with a defined benefit pension. There are countless police shows and movies that glamourize the job and they visit elementary schools where small children are taught that they are heroes.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to your pov. If my life was in danger and I reach for the phone to call 911, I want somebody with a gun and handcuffs showing up, not a social worker. There have been a few police incidents where I'm sure that if I were in the same situation that I would have exercised even worse judgement and control. And I even sympathize with the idea that if you're exposed to the worst elements of society day in and day out, that it warps you and you bring that toxicity home with you.

But being in a life threatening situation is rare even for cops. Most police officers spend their time doing desk jobs, out on patrols, or being called into situations where it's clear to the other party that they're outgunned and outmatched. For what they have to deal with, I think they get more than their fair share.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 8:28 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Being a cop is the furthest from a thankless job.

For a job that requires a two year community college diploma, police officers start off with a high 5 figure salary that easily crosses into the 6 figures after just a few years. They retire at 60 with a defined benefit pension. There are countless police shows and movies that glamourize the job and they visit elementary schools where small children are taught that they are heroes.
ANd they still get shit on constantly. Just go through the comments on here.

Quote:
I'm somewhat sympathetic to your pov. If my life was in danger and I reach for the phone to call 911, I want somebody with a gun and handcuffs showing up, not a social worker. There have been a few police incidents where I'm sure that if I were in the same situation that I would have exercised even worse judgement and control. And I even sympathize with the idea that if you're exposed to the worst elements of society day in and day out, that it warps you and you bring that toxicity home with you.
Not only do you have to put up with the worst, you have to walk a very fine line. In some people eyes cops will always be in the wrong.

Quote:
But being in a life threatening situation is rare even for cops. Most police officers spend their time doing desk jobs, out on patrols, or being called into situations where it's clear to the other party that they're outgunned and outmatched. For what they have to deal with, I think they get more than their fair share.
Well , where I live some one is answering the calls here in Canadas most violent city. Many people wish there were more of them, but even asking for that you get labeled a bad person.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 12:53 AM

Another one this morning.

Quote:
Winnipeg police investigating 47th homicide

Winnipeg police are looking for suspects in the city's 47th homicide of the year.

It happened early Saturday morning around 1:44 a.m. when officers were called to an apartment block in the 500 block of Furby Street. Residents had reported hearing shots in the building.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...cide-1.6169947

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 12:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Headline in the local Moncton Times & Transcript today:

COURT REPORT: Murder Charge Laid; Scrapyard to Stand Trial.

Of course, the article is a summary of court proceedings, and this refers to two separate cases, but still...................

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 9:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A cold case in Toronto from the 80s may finally be solved:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rest-1.6666333

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

Two of them at that!

What I took away from them interviewing the detectives is that they can get prints and photos, but not collect DNA when they arrest; that this is very outdated legislation that was written pre-DNA times.

That seems outrageous given that it is 2022. Hopefully this leads to an update and changes to better align police forces needs and requirements to solve more recent cases.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 1:08 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Another random, unprovoked stabbing on the TTC yesterday adds 1 to Toronto. One of several such incidents to happen this year.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 3:37 AM

Shooting In East York tonight adds another for Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 4:31 PM
recession proof

That's my subway station. I've seen so much crazy shit over the years, I'm glad I finally got a car. Although I still find the TTC the most relaxing way to get around downtown without worrying about parking, the slow traffic on Bloor etc.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 1:34 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
That's my subway station. I've seen so much crazy shit over the years, I'm glad I finally got a car. Although I still find the TTC the most relaxing way to get around downtown without worrying about parking, the slow traffic on Bloor etc.

Biking is even better. No crazies, and no traffic.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 2:12 AM

About an average year for the city of Toronto, it’s at 67 so far.

GTA numbers:

Toronto - 67
Mississauga - 14
Brampton - 12
Oshawa - 5
Markham - 4
Vaughan - 4
Ajax - 3
Pickering - 3
Milton - 2
Oakville - 1
Richmond Hill - 1
Whitby - 1

+ other towns and cities puts the GTA at 122+ for the year so far.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 12:05 AM

Winnipeg had its 51st homicide yesterday. This one happened at Winnipeg's Millennium Library. Three youths have been arrested.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Winnipeg had its 51st homicide yesterday. This one happened at Winnipeg's Millennium Library. Three youths have been arrested.
Oh shit. I didn't even hear about this. SMH

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 7:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

37 and 38 for Montreal. An elderly woman in her 70s(?) and her granddaughter in her 20s.

Montreal's overall rate remains fairly low but murders of women (generally by males close to them - not sure about this one though) are a particular scourge in Montreal and even in Quebec in general.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 1:28 AM

Not sure where to put this but I thought it was interesting CNN only picked it up with the size of the new reward.

Five years ago, a billionaire couple was found strangled beside their swimming pool. Their family is offering $35 million to help catch their killer
By Faith Karimi, CNN
Updated 9:51 AM EST, Sat December 17, 2022

The deaths of Canadian billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman have been shrouded in mystery from the beginning.

On December 15, 2017, a realtor giving a tour of the couple’s Toronto mansion around midday discovered their bodies, fully dressed, beside their indoor basement swimming pool. They were semi-seated side by side, with belts tied around their necks and attached to the railing of the indoor pool, police said.

Barry Sherman was 75; his wife Honey was 70. None of their friends or business associates had heard from them in about two days, and there were no signs of forced entry to the home, police said.

The story made headlines far beyond their affluent community in Toronto. Police called the deaths suspicious, and theories swirled about who might have wanted to kill the founder of Canadian generic drug giant Apotex and his philanthropic wife – one of Canada’s richest couples.

Investigators have worked to connect the dots. But five years later, no arrests have been made. On this week’s anniversary of the killings, the Shermans’ son offered an additional $25 million for information leading to an arrest. The reward is now $35 million....

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/17/us/to...cec/index.html

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Anyone know if the mass killing in Vaughan last night was random or if the shooter knew his victims?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:02 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anyone know if the mass killing in Vaughan last night was random or if the shooter knew his victims?

He was an older guy (70s) that apparently was angry at the condo board and targeted people on the board. Seemingly went to individual units but reports are conflicting. People on twitter found his facebook and he seemed very unwell to say the least - convinced the building was toxic to his health among other things.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:47 PM
I am the law!

LOL HOA president is one of the most dangerous jobs in United States. It's just not blue collar enough for a History Channel series. Is this murderer targeting condo board members speculation based on violence towards HOA members in the US or factual?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:03 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
He was an older guy (70s) that apparently was angry at the condo board and targeted people on the board. Seemingly went to individual units but reports are conflicting. People on twitter found his facebook and he seemed very unwell to say the least - convinced the building was toxic to his health among other things.
Jesus H.

As the president of my board and having more than a couple of instances with mentally unstable residents, emails, calls, I have always been concerned about this kind of situation.

My thoughts go out to their families and loved ones.

Truly awful.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Thanks for the info, guys.

That's really old for a mass shooter, who are typically a lot younger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada