HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 5:19 PM

When you guys have a minute (or 90), I highly recommend this podcast, especially this episode that talks about neighborhood defenders and the adverse effects on our built environment.
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox...eds/e/66321406

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:45 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post

Edit: The notion of something being "altered to a point of no longer having historical value" has always struck me as being extremely subjective.
I agree, but it's kind of has to be. That's why there are criteria defined by the Landmark Preservation Commission on which they base their decisions. It's not the best, but is there an alternative that will allow the protections to exist and at the same time allowing for new construction?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:53 PM

As Office Jobs Expand, Denver Scrambles To Compete With Top Talent Hubs
January 30, 2020 By Kelcey McClung - Bisnow
Quote:
Denver’s office-using job growth is continuing, which should translate into 3.5M SF of tenant demand over the next 36 months, JLL Research Director Thomas Jaroszewski told Bisnow. But it’s falling behind other major metro areas in the country, which compete for the same talent.

JLL forecasts that Denver may not keep pace with Austin, Texas, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle, Salt Lake City and Portland in the next half decade. Austin will likely be the biggest winner, according to these projections, seeing more than 10% growth over the next five years. Dallas and Portland aren’t forecast to be too far behind.
Be suspicious of all the data-driven analysis and its presumptions or concluding anything that's all that relevant or meaningful.

Relevant to Denver I thought this was a solid observation.
Quote:
Alternative and emerging submarkets, such as Denver’s RiNo neighborhood, will likely see strong activity, as will walkable and transit-accessible locations. These options are becoming increasingly popular as developers further adjust new product to meet tenant expectations and preferences. Stiles added that this goes beyond just aesthetics to include social engagement, employee and environmental wellness and aesthetics will be equally important in future project development.
This would include all the TOD being planned like Gates etc.

There is always a "But" of course.
Quote:
“As long as the state and local governments continue to be pro-business and pro-[growth], I think we have a really long runway,” Joblon said.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:38 PM

This is a fun skim. Hopefully it results in taller, leaner buildings with affordable units. I just wish there was an incentive for building crowns or unique rooflines.

http://www.denvergov.org/content/dam...ternatives.pdf

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:47 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
This is a fun skim. Hopefully it results in taller, leaner buildings with affordable units. I just wish there was an incentive for building crowns or unique rooflines.

http://www.denvergov.org/content/dam...ternatives.pdf
That’s a contradiction. You can’t have taller, leaner, and more affordable. One factor (or two) have to give.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 10:07 PM

I'm tired of people with saying that bulk is a detriment to walkability. Width, sure, but what does height have anything to do with it?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That’s a contradiction. You can’t have taller, leaner, and more affordable. One factor (or two) have to give.

If the developers wants to max out the available bonuses, yea a building could be leaner than a barge and have affordable units. My phrasing was exclusive to one building though, just more of those components in many projects are just as good.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:04 AM

Denver’s Historic Tennyson Street Feeling Growing Pains As Debate Over Development Continues
January 31, 2020 By Jamie Leary - CBS4

Interesting article that is not anti-development but that previous zoning changes is having the affect of wiping out all the retail for more residential. Most feel that is not the most desirable nor anybody's original intent. So Councilwoman Amanda Sandoval wants to address the issue via changes.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:51 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
When you guys have a minute (or 90), I highly recommend this podcast, especially this episode that talks about neighborhood defenders and the adverse effects on our built environment.
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox...eds/e/66321406
Thanks for this. A new podcast to add to my subscriptions. I was able to hear about half of it and found it thought provoking. I'm pro development and also what she would call a "neighborhood defender." And I find these two sides of me at odds. I'm all for building more density and I believe there are some areas that should be preserved. Some folks seem to think Curtis Park is full of rich folks, and there are plenty. But we have plenty of people, myself included, making less than the AMI. I just happened to buy many years ago and live in a house that needs lots of work. I think these historic homes should be saved and not just the nice ones. But on empty lots and lots containing non-contributing structures I am all for density. I'd love to see more apartments going in all over the neighborhood, as long as they are not the land barges we have on Welton. The new Wheatly and Lydian are both really nice, if not a little too tall if they were to be in the center of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 3:02 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:55 PM

Thanks, Ken! The building looks great and that would be a great addition to LoDo. The rendering of the Cherry Creek is a little ridiculous but it will be great to knock out another parking lot.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 6:39 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
If the developers wants to max out the available bonuses, yea a building could be leaner than a barge and have affordable units. My phrasing was exclusive to one building though, just more of those components in many projects are just as good.
That makes sense- I was looking at it from a pure market perspective and an overall project unit price point. Bonuses will add a few affordable units, but it’s not going to produce a project that is more affordable overall.

Now killing residential parking minimums....

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Park View Post
Thanks for this. A new podcast to add to my subscriptions. I was able to hear about half of it and found it thought provoking. I'm pro development and also what she would call a "neighborhood defender."
This has been debated before only Wash Park was the (primary) focus.

With respect to Denver, Ken's own residential survey finds over 4,000 residential units under construction with another 8,000 in the pipeline. There's prolly another 4-5,000 units that will be built outside the line. Thousands more are in conceptual planning.

The current zoning claims of the 'neighborhood defenders' or other sources that promote upzoning as the only cure for affordability has many intentionally overlooked dynamics and fallacies. The only way Curtis Park could move the needle would be to scrape it clean and open the area up to much higher density.

With respect to an incremental approach, adding a few hundred units over the next 10 years won't hurt but it will hardly move the needle. But if more is better than less, then sure. From my personal view the notion of more "missing middle" sounds sexy. But will it impact affordability? Fat chance.

Some context please

Denver is not Boston, NYC or San Francisco. Denver is not a coastal city. The current land available for much higher density in Denver is enormous. I love all the current "infill" and there's an easy two more decades for this to continue. I know this b/c bulldurhamer said so and he's no ordinary junk yard dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Now killing residential parking minimums....
will only help when developers and their equity partners, investors and lenders decide "all that parking" isn't necessary. Denver has been evolving some but there's room for much more change for sure.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:26 PM

Looks like VF is going to encompass a footprint beyond their main HQ office in downtown - https://businessden.com/2020/02/03/v...ghton-in-rino/

Just one more new office building getting gobbled up, which increases the chances of more office space breaking ground in RiNo....

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:31 PM

Cool! Excited to see the other components of the Vario project break ground soon

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Is there actually going to be a pedestrian plaza at the end of Wynkoop like what is shown in that rendering?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:38 PM

I saw this intereting rendering for the transit oriented development at Belleview Station provided by the commercial real estate firm leasing the new DTC office tower 6900 Layton. I hope that we can see density like this around that station:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I saw this intereting rendering for the transit oriented development at Belleview Station provided by the commercial real estate firm leasing the new DTC office tower 6900 Layton. I hope that we can see density like this around that station:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That's pretty amazing. Ironically, it's missing what is probably the next dense development to break ground there. The 18 story hotel to replace the Economy Suites right across from the Bellevue Station. (The Economy Suites is already fenced off, looks ready for demo).

https://businessden.com/2019/09/09/h...ce-than-rooms/

Bellevue will need some work to support that density there.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Feb 3, 2020 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:07 PM

Yeah I cannot feel too confident in the accuracy of the rendering given that omission but there truly is a lot of vertical development going on and about to start right there at that location. I hope that more projects come to fruition north of East Union Avenue, as depicted in that rendering.

I am excited for the development at 38th and Blake. However, the TODs at Broadway Station and Belleview Station are certainly more transit connected at the moment. Between May and August of 2019, the I25 and Broadway station had the third-highest rail ridership out of all stations with 10,690 daily boardings. Broadway station services five lines. Belleview had the twenty-second highest boardings with 3,025 per day. Belleview station services three lines. 38th and Blake had the 34th highest ridership with 2,051 daily boardings. 38th and Blake has one line.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:19 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
38th and Blake had the 34th highest ridership with 2,051 daily boardings. 38th and Blake has one line.
But what A Line.

Seriously, I feel sorry for the miscreants who have to suffer RTD's LRT system and the f**kups you know are going to be coming for the N Line (who wants to bet that RTD debuts the N line with operator shortages and cancelled trains?). The contracted out operations on the A and G line are superb compared to the rest of the turd sandwiches that compose RTD's operations.

As for Bellview Station, it's a great bit of TOD and I suspect that the omission of the Stonbridge project in the rendering is purposeful as Front Range Land and Development is certainly perturbed about Stonebridge not having to pay into the metro district that built all of the infrastructure improvements in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West