HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:28 PM

Interesting article in the Denver Business Journal about the new Air France flight to Paris: https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...hts-paris.html

At the end is a statement saying that a Denver-Amsterdam flight via KLM might be coming in the future.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Interesting article in the Denver Business Journal about the new Air France flight to Paris: https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...hts-paris.html

At the end is a statement saying that a Denver-Amsterdam flight via KLM might be coming in the future.
That is very interesting....

DIA/DEN was one of the top performing airports last year. 'Fortunately', traffic was down enough to hep expedite their improvements, some of which are geared to better serve international flights.

It's interesting (to me) to compare and contrast DIA/DEN with Phx/Sky Harbor. DEN has long been a top performing airport partly due its location while Sky Harbor has suffered from its location, being wedged between LAX and DFW as both these airports have tons business and international flights. Sky Harbor has always relied more on leisure travel and it is leisure travel that is leading the recovery.

DEN has long been both a hub and a destination for both leisure and business.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 9:27 PM

Moving on UP

An Amtrak ALC-42 Siemens Chargers. Thomas Pallini/Insider

Amtrak riders will soon be traveling on a brand-new type of locomotive that can go 125 miles per hour: Meet the ALC-42 Siemens Chargers
Sun, August 1, 2021 By Thomas Pallini -Business Inside via Yahoo!News
Quote:
The locomotives that will soon be driving the trains are a brand-new type for Amtrak. Amtrak chose the ALC-42 Siemens Chargers to replace its current locomotives on all of its long-distance routes, as well as many of its state-sponsored routes.

A total of 75 trains will be delivered over the next three years as part of an $850 million contract, completely overhauling Amtrak's rolling stock.
What about we passengers?

Photos courtesy Thomas Pallini/Insider

I went aboard Amtrak's new long-distance trains aiming to transform America's languishing rail network, and now I want to take a cross-country train trip
Jul 5, 2021 By Thomas Pallini - Business Insider
Quote:
The rail company is investing $28 million to upgrade Superliner and Viewliner trains in all classes of service on its longest routes. Interior elements from coach seating to rooms are being upgraded over the next three years.

And in the dining car, traditional dining is being restored with white-tablecloth service and a new menu with classic favorites and new culinary delights. The tired blue cloth seats of Amtrak's past are being replaced with sleek leatherette cushioning for a more modern and clean look.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 11:15 PM

A look at the new renovations made to the Pikes Peak Cog Railway
CBS This Morning
Quote:
For 130 years, visitors have made the trip to the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado on a train that’s one-of-a-kind. Now, after being closed for more than three years and undergoing a $100 million renovation, it’s once again bringing travelers on a breathtaking journey. Nancy Chen has the details.
Video Link

Photos Credit: Helen H. Richardson/MediaNews Group/The Denver Post via Getty Images via Yahoo!News

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 8:59 PM

RTD: Getting with the times

NATION’S LARGEST FLEET OF AUTONOMOUS ELECTRIC SHUTTLES LAUNCHES AT COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES
8/13/2021
Quote:
RTD Board members and staff joined elected officials, students, faculty and staff Aug. 10 at the Colorado School of Mines to celebrate the launch of the nation’s largest fleet of low-speed, autonomous electric shuttles, the first in a plan to launch in multiple cities across the state.
Where these vehicles come from?
Quote:
The first phase of the program includes a fleet of nine driverless, zero-emission EZ10 shuttles from technology-provider EasyMile, powered by Siemens VersiCharge AC chargers, to connect Colorado School of Mines’ central campus, athletics complex, student housing and downtown Golden.
This all evolved from a pilot project originally at 61st/Peña Station.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:58 PM

RTD Board OKs $8 Million To Study Plan For Scaled-Back Boulder-Longmont Train
August 24, 2021 By Nathaniel Minor/CPR
Quote:
The Regional Transportation District will spend $8 million to study a scaled-back plan to extend commuter rail service from Denver to Boulder and Longmont.

The agency’s board voted 12 to 3 Tuesday night to approve the study intended to move up the project that is decades behind schedule.
$8 million sounds quite reasonable; it's largely b/c will only look at a Peak Service option.
Quote:
Residents in the northwest metro, including local officials and Gov. Jared Polis, have since pressured RTD to kick-start the project. RTD staff responded by floating a plan for rush-hour only service — three Denver-bound trains in the morning and three Longmont-bound trains in the evening.

Early estimates for the “peak service plan” from RTD staff put ridership at just 800 people per day and construction cost of $708 million. That lopsided cost-benefit ratio, in conjunction with the existing popular Denver-to-Boulder express bus routes, has prompted some RTD board members to say the agency should abandon the B Line extension entirely.
This sounds like more of a data update and refresh.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 11:40 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
[

$8 million sounds quite reasonable; it's largely b/c will only look at a Peak Service option.
$800,000 would be reasonable. $8 million is an absurdly unnecessary waste of money - I don't know how an A/E firm (or firms) can even spend that much on this scope. That what, 20 FTEs for a full year?

What is does do is say, "WOW, look at all this money we spent on this study, that must make it credible."

But look, if $8 million is the price tag to make NW rail go away once and for all, cool.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
RTD says Boulder County taxpayers paid $243 million in FasTracks taxes between 2005 and 2019.
https://www.cpr.org/2020/09/17/will-...s-what-we-know

Boulder County deserves a big chunk of that back. Say $200 million - that's a very generous 20% discount as a nice parting gift from the county.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSmithee View Post
https://www.cpr.org/2020/09/17/will-...s-what-we-know

Boulder County deserves a big chunk of that back. Say $200 million - that's a very generous 20% discount as a nice parting gift from the county.
"RTD now estimates the Boulder-Longmont train would carry only about 4,100 people a day during the week, a big drop from initial pre-Great Recession projections. The Flatiron Flyer, which RTD launched in 2016 at a cost of $190 million, carried an average of 11,600 people every weekday in 2018."

Source: CPR: That $1.5B Boulder-Longmont Train? Transit Advocates Say Maybe We Should Ask For More Buses Instead

Nuf Said

Last edited by Interzen; Aug 28, 2021 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 3:30 AM

Actually I do have more to say.

Think the left over $53 million would be enough to extend the FF to the poor souls between Boulder and Longmont that really got left out? I'm sure you could get broad support for that if it penciled out (which it won't.)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 1:14 PM

Here’s a deal to consider.

The B”R”T has been paid for, and will be taken by Boulder County as a substitute for the B Line. As compensation for Boulder County not getting it, the county will no longer pay the 0.4% Fastracks tax.

Funny how RTD can’t figure out how to tap into the 60,000 people commuting into Boulder. Their buses aren’t going to the right places.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Here’s a deal to consider.

The B”R”T has been paid for, and will be taken by Boulder County as a substitute for the B Line. As compensation for Boulder County not getting it, the county will no longer pay the 0.4% Fastracks tax.

Funny how RTD can’t figure out how to tap into the 60,000 people commuting into Boulder. Their buses aren’t going to the right places.
I have no doubt that Boulder/County could design and run a better bus system than RTD.

You see a bus pulling up to bus stop, picking up passengers and moving onto the next stop.

But before any of that can happen you need 'certified' bus drivers. You need CDL level drivers with a passenger endorsement. They need to be old-fashioned totally drug-free. Drivers need benefits but starting out this isn't so bad. Figure 20% (rising to 25-30% over time) of the pay package going for benefits. Also how many 'backup' drivers do you want to step in for those who don't show up?

Then you need a facility to clean, maintain and repair the buses which means you also need an inventory of parts. It is a sizable upfront investment. Do you want one facility or maybe a couple?

Don't forget the large insurance package including a whole lot of liability insurance. Don't forget to add in administrative and legal costs, bonus and incentive costs.

Given Boulder's topography and weather you'll want some good e-buses. Proterra recently released their next-gen ZX5 model which replaces the wildly popular and successful Catalyst model. Base cost of ~$750,000 but add in custom features (meaning basic preferences) and you'll approach maybe $1 million a copy? But now you can finance them. Whoopee! They will save a ton on traditional maintenance, repairs and parts though. But you will also need charging equipment. On your busiest or most grueling routes it might be best to build in a roadside quick-charging unit. Buses drive under the charger and in 10-15 minutes they're raring to go again.

Courtesy Edmonton, Alberta and Proterra

Note: Interesting article about Edmonton buying 20 more of the best e-buses on the market July of 2020.

If Boulder wants to take over the Flatiron Flyer routes and service I'll assume RTD would be willing to sell the buses at their amortized costs.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 3:27 AM

Quote:
I have no doubt that Boulder/County could design and run a better bus system than RTD.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
[...]
Thanks so much for cluing everyone in about what a bus service entails.

You don't even realize how ironic the pic you put up is. That size bus isn't necessary for Boulder.

PS - And the County won't even charge you for the savings on the unneeded B Line.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 5:04 AM

Quote:
You don't even realize how ironic the pic you put up is. That size bus isn't necessary for Boulder.
I caught up with the irony. BTW, I wasn't recommending "sizes" but what did you mean by "irony"?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 12:24 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

The irony is that he somehow thinks that comment scored a point against the Denver-centric thinking on here.

The fact that a bus used in Edmonton is larger than can be filled in Boulder is both hilarious and exactly why nobody here cares if Boulder leaves RTD. Please. But don’t expect us to not continue to screw you uncomfortably once or twice more on your way out the door because, well, you’re not special to us (see: Boulder’s naive ‘what we deserve’ attempt at forming a municipal utility and Xcel’s refusal to allow you to walk out with the house, the dog, and the truck, even though you had paid the electric bill for years).

Last edited by bunt_q; Aug 29, 2021 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
I caught up with the irony. BTW, I wasn't recommending "sizes" but what did you mean by "irony"?
Boulder doesn’t need that size bus for in-town transit, and in your haste to post you scored an own goal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
The irony is that he somehow thinks that comment scored a point against the Denver-centric thinking on here.

The fact that a bus used in Edmonton is larger than can be filled in Boulder is both hilarious and exactly why nobody here cares if Boulder leaves RTD.
“Can be filled”? Nope. RTD’s problem is that they have the wrong equipment on the wrong routes at the wrong frequencies.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Boulder doesn’t need that size bus for in-town transit, and in your haste to post you scored an own goal.
Uhmm Boulder (AKA not RTD) already obtained 3 of those ZX5 models from Proterra for via to use on the HOP and is trying to obtain more:

https://dailycoloradonews.com/three-...l-bus-service/

Are you implying the omnipotent city of Boulder somehow made a mistake? Be careful they might cast you out to live amongst the peons in Louisville with that attitude.

Last edited by bobg; Aug 29, 2021 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 2:52 AM

Good Catch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg View Post
Uhmm Boulder (AKA not RTD) already obtained 3 of those ZX5 models from Proterra for via to use on the HOP and is trying to obtain more:

https://dailycoloradonews.com/three-...l-bus-service/

Are you implying the omnipotent city of Boulder somehow made a mistake? Be careful they might cast you out to live amongst the peons in Louisville with that attitude.
That was what I was referring to when I said I "had caught up with the irony."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 3:24 AM

Anybody recall my pet peeve over infrastructure costs going up due to delays caused by ahem 'special interests'?

This is a little different since we're now into the third decade of planning so you'd expect cost increases. Seems like it started out at $50 million, the $75 million rising to $100-$125 million.

To be fair the East Colfax BRT originally was planned as a simpler curb-side pickup and morphed into dedicated center lanes which I like. So where are we now?

https://denverite.com/2021/08/31/colfax-brt-denver-bus/
Quote:
Denver has raised $55 million for the project through the Elevate Denver Bond, which voters approved in 2017. The overall price tag could be between $200 million and $300 million in 2021 dollars, RTD’s letter to the FTA says. That’s significantly higher than the $168 million estimate Denverite reported in 2017.

“The construction estimate is higher because construction costs have increased since 2017,” Nancy Kuhn, spokesperson for Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure wrote in an email to Denverite.
I can recall Cirrus arguing correctly about the challenges.
Quote:
A few key factors are contributing to the long wind-up, said Brian Pinkerton, principal project manager for the city.

First, the street itself is owned by the state Department of Transportation; the city and county do much of the maintenance on the road, and RTD operates the transit service. All those cooks in the kitchen means lots of coordination and planning is necessary.

“…agreement on the specifics of a complete reconfiguration of this road is much more complicated than if it was a city street controlled completely by Denver,” he wrote in an email to Denverite.
It's a bit unique that I would agree with Jill Locantore.
Quote:
“It is truly ridiculous how long it can take to just dedicate some space for buses on a city street and provide some dignified accommodations for people riding the bus,” Locantore tweeted. “I’m sure we could figure out how to do this faster, if people in positions of power actually cared.”
Well, I can't say I'd agree with Jill's snarkiness.

Note: The reason I don't mind getting rid of one traffic lane in each direction is simple. I've seen the people who drive up and down Colfax and I don't like them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West