HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:46 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What a great addition! I'm really surprised at how good that that looks. I knew it wouldn't be trash or anything but I'm really digging that building.
It’s got more trees inside it than “The Leaf” will.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The church project is and always has been pretend.
Pretend for what purpose, though? Who would go to the trouble of conjuring that up if they didn't intend to do something?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 7:33 PM

^^ Exactly. Someone put time, thought and effort into the archdiocese. I suppose it could be a student project but even then it seems like a really odd choice as it took into account preserving the existing cathedral with an annex that doesn't really make sense.

Another piece people don't talk about is the grade school students from the RWB program currently attend classes at a normal school in the morning. An old co-worker had a child in the same school and told me about it. At the time it was a public school but might have changed. Regardless as mostly non-resident students the RWB pays for those classes.

Separately, we know one of the goal lines of business for the archdiocese is education. They even operate private grade schools in Winnipeg. Further, it is well documented the Chipman family helped open a new privately run school operated by the archdiocese. What is part of the project is a new, private, Christian high school with significant startup funding from the Chipman family?

And I know people keep saying the archdiocese doesn't have the money for the project. That isn't being creative enough in thinking though. Look at the PPP (private public partnership) model. Instead though picture True North/Chipman providing the financing for the project over the life of the "mortgage". To pay off the principle of the loan the archdiocese would have income from things like the new residence, school, etc. True North then makes an annual donation for the "interest" portion of the loan and receives a massive tax credit to apply against their other sources of revenue (ie the Jets).

---

In terms of the RWB residence deal I have no inside knowledge. I would imagine though True North likely sat down with the needed stakeholders and said they would build them a more modern version of the residence and give them some cash in return for the property. It is clear that True North is involved with the relocation in a meaningful way and not just as a someone handing over cash for the property. The other piece is if construction is starting "soon" on the Wawanesa tower there is likely some interim residence in place.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 7:51 PM

RWB high school students attend Nelson McIntyre Collegiate on St Mary’s.

CoryB you are pushing it here with your elaborate fantasies. It’s been confirmed and reiterated here time after time that TN is not involved with the archdiocese site. The rendering could have been easily commissioned for the cost of one Sunday’s offerings, doesn’t take much planning or though to mock up those basic of basic boxes.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 7:56 PM

I dunno where people are getting confidence in the church site from... that was very minimal work in that sketch, not a lot of lost money. I doubt it happens.

Quote:
It’s funny that the Free Press put the Wawanesa announcement on page B6 under the headline ‘fifth tower at Square’. I wonder if it was a tower at Broadway and Main it would have received more love.
You saying that Wawa at TNS received too much or too little praise from the WFP?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
RWB high school students attend Nelson McIntyre Collegiate on St Mary’s.

CoryB you are pushing it here with your elaborate fantasies. It’s been confirmed and reiterated here time after time that TN is not involved with the archdiocese site. The rendering could have been easily commissioned for the cost of one Sunday’s offerings, doesn’t take much planning or though to mock up those basic of basic boxes.
Their high school students attended Nelson McIntyre in the past, for many years now they have attended academic classes at the UofW Collegiate.
The middle school students attend Nordale School.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of the RWB residence deal I have no inside knowledge. I would imagine though True North likely sat down with the needed stakeholders and said they would build them a more modern version of the residence and give them some cash in return for the property. It is clear that True North is involved with the relocation in a meaningful way and not just as a someone handing over cash for the property. The other piece is if construction is starting "soon" on the Wawanesa tower there is likely some interim residence in place.
I guess in the context of this whole project the student residence is small potatoes... it will be interesting to see what TN and the RWB come up with and where it's ultimately located. It's also interesting to see a 25 year old residence, which is really not very old by Winnipeg standards, get demolished. Whatever ends up getting built should be a good upgrade for the students living in there.

And maybe I have an overactive imagination, but I refuse to accept that something isn't cooking for the cathedral site. Even if it isn't a showstopper, I expect something will eventually pop up. Given that TNRED is on a total development tear around there and the Chipman connection to the church, it seems like a development match made in heaven. (OK, I think I went too far with that one)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Their high school students attended Nelson McIntyre in the past, for many years now they have attended academic classes at the UofW Collegiate.
The middle school students attend Nordale School.
Thanks for clarifying, it’s been a few years since I’ve knoen a dancer let alone one in high school.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It’s funny that the Free Press put the Wawanesa announcement on page B6 under the headline ‘fifth tower at Square’. I wonder if it was a tower at Broadway and Main it would have received more love.
Thought the Free Press loved the Chipman's!?!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Thought the Free Press loved the Chipman's!?!
Well they just hired Tom Broadbeck so obviously some monumental shift has happened there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:47 PM
Winnipeg

Haha this thread is so lively now

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well they just hired Tom Broadbeck so obviously some monumental shift has happened there.
What? The Winnipeg Sun just won't be the same without Tom.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 5:26 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Well that's unfortunate.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:21 AM

Live cams

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:36 AM
surely you agree with me

I asked the very top of true north about the church thing. He said it’s not real. That church has some parishioners with active imaginations. You guys can debate it all you want.

Chipman is not connected to that church.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Tom can start writing real articles?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 10:25 AM
Back from the dead

The Sun without Tom Broadbeck? But where will I draw from to attain a blissful level of cynicism, negativity and just plain old misanthropy? Without Tom, I might get the impression that something can be paid for through taxation other than filling potholes. Not that he hasn't made good points from time to time, it's just that he's more depressing to read than watching an episode of the original Spider Man cartoons.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The Sun without Tom Broadbeck? But where will I draw from to attain a blissful level of cynicism, negativity and just plain old misanthropy? Without Tom, I might get the impression that something can be paid for through taxation other than filling potholes. Not that he hasn't made good points from time to time, it's just that he's more depressing to read than watching an episode of the original Spider Man cartoons.
LOL. I would have said "the original Spiderman TV series", but yeah, dead on. It will be interesting to see if his rantings can become legitimate thought-based commentary under the editorial oversight of something close to an actual newspaper. (yeah, I still miss the Tribune.....I admit it...)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 3:28 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
LOL. I would have said "the original Spiderman TV series", but yeah, dead on. It will be interesting to see if his rantings can become legitimate thought-based commentary under the editorial oversight of something close to an actual newspaper. (yeah, I still miss the Tribune.....I admit it...)
I was one of those poor kids without cable. As such, I was stuck with whatever the free stations provided. I don't know why I watched it but, man...the colors, the gloominess, the dankness of it all just really had a profound effect on me. The only thing it inspired me to want to do was get hold of a wooden spoon and go to town on my wrists or something. Tom produces a similar effect.

I shouldn't be so harsh about him, to be honest. As I said, a number of his opinions resonate with me but the other %90 of the time, he's all about investing in fixing potholes and that's it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 9:30 PM

This is the proposal from St Marys church in case it ever gets built. @ more towers at TNS.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...411705635.html

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jun 15, 2019 at 9:31 PM. Reason: edit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan