HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:31 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
That lot would do a lot to connect Portage and the SHED area with the exchange, which would be amazing!

It's also a great opportunity for a very unique looking building.
Yeah. I've heard that adding The Burt to their portfolio has been a roaring success for TNSE – part of me thinks/hopes that in the near future they'll look to expand the lobby and concession area. They have to if they want to compete with Club Regent for lots of these smaller shows.

Could see a Met-style addition (but nicer) out front. Maybe even going as far as the Enterprise lot with a bar inside that's open whether there's an event or not (like the Allen Restaurant at the Met).

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:17 PM
Armchair urbanist

IIRC, I remember looking for events at the Burt pre-TNSE and they had a handful a quarter. Now there's that many a month. I don't have numbers to back it up, but from the eye/memory test, there appears to be a lot more events there.

I know they did some improvements. I suspect as the venue becomes more profitable that they would continue to make more.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:24 PM

I think if True North was smart and they wanted the RWB residence for a future development that combines that site and the former bookstore they need to strike a deal to likely permanently relocate the residence into the residential tower of TNS. Perhaps such a deal is already in place and that is why there is some little being said about the residential tower.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think if True North was smart and they wanted the RWB residence for a future development that combines that site and the former bookstore they need to strike a deal to likely permanently relocate the residence into the residential tower of TNS. Perhaps such a deal is already in place and that is why there is some little being said about the residential tower.
RWB could be part of a potential third tower on the block that will contain Sutton Place... that way it could be built from the ground up with their needs in mind.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
RWB could be part of a potential third tower on the block that will contain Sutton Place... that way it could be built from the ground up with their needs in mind.
Would they have enough demand to trigger this?

I'd imagine a deal struck with the current TNS apt tower is much more logical...

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:30 PM

^ I suppose that only the developer knows for sure, but I would imagine that something like a residence filled with the RWB's students would have some very particular needs. I can't imagine that you could just put them into a standard apartment building without extensive changes first.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:40 PM

Should put that in the dreamscape category. RWB owns that building right? Why would they rent? I'm a pessimist today for some reason..

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 10:44 PM
Starring as himself

It’s their studios, not just a residence. It is an expensive, purpose-built building.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:08 AM

Great pictures. Thanks Wpg_Guy

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It’s their studios, not just a residence. It is an expensive, purpose-built building.
I was referring to the residence on Carlton, not the larger complex on Edmonton. The former is just a small student residence not much bigger in scale than the typical Winnipeg postwar walkup block.

I'm not saying it's a gimme, but if Longboat/TNSE ever had the inclination to build a phase III for TNS, I don't think it would be that difficult for them to work out a deal with the RWB... either by taking up space in a new tower, or perhaps more realistically, by building something new on a nearby vacant or underused lot.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 4:18 PM

The reality of the RWB residence is that it is an occupied residential building and those people would need somewhere to live and it needs to be close to the RWB studio space. It could be TNS or Sutton Place but if they are being displaced as part of True North's future development plans.

If it is done at an early construction stage it would be fairly easy to change a floor plan or more to accommodate a student residence and also put in place additional security for that area. Not really all that different that how other floors can be locked out to public access in other multi-story buildings.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:36 PM

This is just pie in the sky talk right? There are no plans that I've heard of. We could say this about every building downtown we wish to be redeveloped.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This is just pie in the sky talk right? There are no plans that I've heard of. We could say this about every building downtown we wish to be redeveloped.
The way you guys are holding up this measly student residence you'd think it was the Legislature... it's hardly pie in the sky. After all, an even larger building (Carlton Inn) was already bought and demolished to make way for TNS.

All I'm saying is that given Chipman companies own land on both sides of it, it's plausible that they could strike a deal to buy the residence and include the land in an eventual next phase of TNS. Compared to some of the other feats they've pulled off over the years, doing something like that would almost seem trivial by comparison.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
The way you guys are holding up this measly student residence you'd think it was the Legislature... it's hardly pie in the sky. After all, an even larger building (Carlton Inn) was already bought and demolished to make way for TNS.

All I'm saying is that given Chipman companies own land on both sides of it, it's plausible that they could strike a deal to buy the residence and include the land in an eventual next phase of TNS. Compared to some of the other feats they've pulled off over the years, doing something like that would almost seem trivial by comparison.
Technically Carlton Inn was bought and demolished to build a hotel to accompany the convention centre. When that didn't materialize it was sold to Chipman et al to develop. It wasn't demolished for TNS.

And sure we can speculate all we want, but any talk of demolishing the RWB residences is just that, pure speculation. There's literally no rumblings of that whatsoever. If longboat wants another project MPI has another surface lot not too far away that's ripe for development without the need to demolish a building that's in use.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:42 PM

^ It is pure speculation, I never suggested otherwise.

There are empty lots nearby but nothing would integrate into the rest of the TNS complex like a tower at Graham and Carlton. Something on Donald would strike me as suited to a standalone project.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:09 PM

I didn't mean to be condescending or anything like that.

Just trying to think why RWB would want to get rid of their current building to appease a developer. I don't know, maybe it's run down and they want something new. Otherwise if they own the building, why would they pay rent elsewhere?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 8:18 PM

^ They'd sell it for the right price... it would be purely a matter of dollars and cents. If the conditions line up for a fifth TNS tower, then that land could stand to be worth more to TN (or Northland or whomever) than it would be to RWB. It's not like that parcel would command some exorbitant price, it's just a small plot of land with a small building on it.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:43 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I was referring to the residence on Carlton, not the larger complex on Edmonton. The former is just a small student residence not much bigger in scale than the typical Winnipeg postwar walkup block.

I'm not saying it's a gimme, but if Longboat/TNSE ever had the inclination to build a phase III for TNS, I don't think it would be that difficult for them to work out a deal with the RWB... either by taking up space in a new tower, or perhaps more realistically, by building something new on a nearby vacant or underused lot.
Sure, although it would be hard to imagine land in downtown Winnipeg being that much in demand. We’ll see if the fourth tower materializes, first!

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:55 PM

@SeanBarnes13
A beautiful Saturday morning in #Winnipeg and @truenorthsquare is a hive of activity. Going to put on my PPE and tour the office tower (r) which will receive its first tenants in 5 weeks time. @PCLConstruction Winnipeggers Building Winnipeg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan