HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Shaw name was itself a result of Shaw's takeover of Canwest Global some years back... the stadium's original name was Canwest Global Park.
The first publicly announced corporate sponsorship name for the Goldeye's park was the Mind Field after Mind Computers. Not sure what happened behind the scenes but before it opened Canwest had taken over the naming rights.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:04 PM

The Goldeyes' lease at Shaw Park expires soon but a renewal is still up in the air...

Quote:
The Winnipeg Goldeyes’ stadium lease agreement with the city has hit another snag in its years-long run to home plate.

Months of heated debate in 2020 resulted in a motion from council to reduce rent payments and extend tax grants for Shaw Park — the home of the American Association of Professional Baseball club — in its next 15-year lease, which passed with a 12-4 vote.

Now, four proposed amendments to that lease agreement have appeared on the agenda for the June 1 standing policy committee meeting on property and development.

The team’s current 25-year lease is set to expire July 28.

The amendments listed in the agenda are: a clarification of the primary use definition of the stadium to include hosting entertainment events; adjusting the final year’s rent payments to December 2038 rather than July 2038; including a previously agreed-upon amendment to the lease allowing the Goldeyes to be exempt from the entertainment tax; and including a provision in the lease that notes if the city takes back some of its parking lot to use for rapid transit, there would be some reduction in the Goldeyes’ lease payments.

Coun. Brian Mayes, who first proposed the motion in 2020, said two of the four amendments are fixing mistakes made on the city’s end, and the others are a result of negotiations between the city and the Goldeyes.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-stadium-lease

Considering the stadium is nearly 25 years old, it's still in great shape. At some point that land will be ripe for redevelopment, but we're not at that point yet.

I guess Katz has the city over a barrel to some extent because if the Goldeyes leave or fold, that's it for pro baseball in this city. But on the other hand I would say that Shaw Park could probably be repurposed into a good soccer venue and potential home to Valour FC if that's what it came to. It certainly wouldn't be perfect but I'd imagine it would be a little more inviting than playing out of IG Field.

Maybe Katz is considering his options. I'm sure that the Goldeyes are nowhere near as lucrative as they once were... at one point they were the only summer sport alternative to the Bombers, but now the marketplace is more crowded. That has translated into lower attendance. Young people may find it hard to believe but in the early years of Shaw Park, Goldeyes games were routinely sold out and they were a hot ticket. Those days are long gone now.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:07 PM

Wow never really thought of baseball leaving town but demographics of Canada have definitely changed and would probably be better repurposed for soccer if baseball does leave.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:31 PM

That would be unfortunate to see them leave. I am saddened by the decline in popularity of baseball across Canada. When I was a kid, that is almost all I played. I was living in Mtl the last year the expos were there. Thankfully I got see a few of their games that year. For some reason, I always assumed they might come back or that another canadian city would have a MLB team by now. Unfortunately that wasn't the case...... I never really got into soccer.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:37 PM

I see goldeyes drew 163000 fans over 48 games last year so around 3400 per game. Still a lot better than Valour hopefully they can come to an agreement.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:40 PM

^ 3400 a game is more than I would have expected. Whenever I go to a game or see game pictures on social media, the stands always look damn near empty.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ 3400 a game is more than I would have expected. Whenever I go to a game or see game pictures on social media, the stands always look damn near empty.
You might be right I am on ticketmaster for tonight's game and would say 85 to 90% of the seats are still available for sale.site that showed last years attendance was off of ballpark digest i guess sam Katz is inflating the numbers similar to the Graham police headquarters.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:26 PM

Going from 50ish goldeyes home games to 15 or so for Valor probably isn't enough to keep the lights on at Shaw park, even with growing attendance. For better or worse, I don't see Valour moving out of IG where they have an existing facility that can leverage some economies of scale with the Bombers and Bisons

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:29 PM

I think repurpose shaw for soccer and as a community cricket and rugby grounds would be best cricket is exploding in popularity in South winnipeg on the old ballpark diamonds

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:36 PM

I don't hate the idea of public sports facilities near down town, but at that point we may as well tear down or at least seriously reduce the stadium structure.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:49 PM

Went doom and gloom pretty quick in here. There's some huge parking lots right next door that are also ripe for redevelopment. Numerous surface lots just north in the Exchange. Why would we want to tear down the ball park to re-develop it? If market conditions generate interest in the property, then so be it. For now, what's wrong with the ballpark? Allow it to be used for more minor league baseball would be a great 1st step.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:12 PM

I guess I should have expanded my point. I agree that nothing is wrong with it, it's a pretty nice stadium that would be a shame to lose. It's just hard to see a future for it without a tenant paying for the upkeep. Subsidizing it is already contentious, and I doubt there's appetite to pay for upkeep if it's just being used as a community-center diamond.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:14 PM

The Goldeyes will play there for the next 15 years. So we can re-group at that time lol

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
I don't hate the idea of public sports facilities near down town, but at that point we may as well tear down or at least seriously reduce the stadium structure.
LOL I always dreamed of it being expanded and made bigger for an MLB team. No way that will ever happen.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Went doom and gloom pretty quick in here. There's some huge parking lots right next door that are also ripe for redevelopment. Numerous surface lots just north in the Exchange. Why would we want to tear down the ball park to re-develop it? If market conditions generate interest in the property, then so be it. For now, what's wrong with the ballpark? Allow it to be used for more minor league baseball would be a great 1st step.
Well, the issue is that Katz is threatening to move the team if he doesn't get a Very Special Deal on the ballpark lease with the city. So if he carries out the threat, the ballpark will either sit empty, or with a small-time tenant (think WCBL). Edmonton lost its AAA team 20 years ago and they have had basically a revolving door of semi pro teams since then at Telus Park or whatever it's called now.

So it's fair to speculate about what might happen with the ballpark if Katz makes good on his threats.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:08 PM

I could see if American Association folded or if Goldeyes ever folded that site would be ideal for a new Arena that the Jets will need 2040ish . That site if you remember was the site of the MEC Arena proposal and those empty parking lots could eventually be filled up with residential buildings eventually.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 9:00 PM

baseball is very popular in my circles, I know lots kids playing and lot family trips around USA to watch.

I wish the Goldeyes team was a AAA affiliate of a MLB, it would add that much more star power.

they arent going anywhere and definitly not Valour soccer as the Bombers own them so why would they play elsewhere.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 9:16 PM

^It would be a dream come true if the Jays or even the Twins set up shop at Shaw park but with our weather conditions probably means it’ll never happen.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 9:19 PM

St Paul and Buffalo are triple a for twinkies and jays. Maybe we can land the A's triple a team since they will leave Vegas as can't have both mlb and triple a team at same facility.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
baseball is very popular in my circles, I know lots kids playing and lot family trips around USA to watch.

I wish the Goldeyes team was a AAA affiliate of a MLB, it would add that much more star power.

they arent going anywhere and definitly not Valour soccer as the Bombers own them so why would they play elsewhere.
Yeah, that's fair re: venues. I have to remind myself that part of the reason Valour exists is to provide event dates for IG Field.

My own son plays and enjoys baseball, but it feels like he is definitely in the minority among his peer group. Lots of kids playing hockey, soccer, basketball, but baseball doesn't have a ton of uptake.

I have to admit I'd be more interested if the Goldeyes were part of the MiLB system. I get that the AA is officially independent pro baseball, but only the same way that the SPHL is officially independent pro hockey. It feels kind of inconsequential, as compared to say the Moose and the ICE which are very relevant within the broader hockey universe. But the Goldeyes charge prices as though they were a significant double-A affiliated team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan