HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:13 PM
你的媽媽

In terms of ground transportation to each cities downtowns as defined by Google Maps, here are the results (transit time only, not including walking), again provided by Google Maps. There may be more optimal routes and I'm sure different definitions of downtown, but this should provide a rough estimate in terms of which airports are conveniently located and accessible. Also added the new Silver Line in DC.

Train only
ATL to Peachtree Center - 18 min
MIA to Government Center Station - 18+ min (3 min MIA Mover and 15 min Orange Line)
PHX to Van Buren/Central Ave - 23+ min (6 min PHX Sky Train and 17 min Valley Metro Rail)
MSP to Warehouse District/Hennepin Ave - 26 min
PHL to Jefferson Station - 29 min
SFO to Embarcadero - 31 min
SEA to University St - 36 min
EWR to Canal Street - 39+ min (4 min AirTrain Newark, then 27 min Northeast Corridor, then 8 min E)
ORD to LaSalle - 45 min
JFK to Canal Street - 48+ min (9 min AirTrain JFK Green and 39 min A)
IAD to Farragut West - 49 min
DFW to Akard - 52 min

Train + Bus
BOS to State - 10+ min (5 min 66 bus, then 5 min Blue Line)
DEN to 16th Street Mall & California St - 47 min+ (37 min A Line, then 10 min MallRide)
LAX to Pershing Square - 50+ min (7 min Metro C Line shuttle, then 15 min Metro C Line, then 27 min Metro A Line, then 1 min Metro D Line)
IAH to Central Station Main - 52+ min (51 min 102 bus, then 1 min Red Line)

Bus only
CLT to College St & 3rd St - 24 min 5 bus
DTW to Woodward + Clifford SB - 59 min 261 bus

I decided not to do LAS, MCO, or FLL, since I'm assuming most people are not headed to their respective downtowns.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Fort Lauderdale is a circle of hell, I absolutely hate that airport.

Laguardia is disgusting.
It is convenient for picking up people at least when they come and visit me Except on holidays or the Spirit Airlines terminal (where the aggressive ladies with attitudes reside).

Also, La Guardia is brand new and really nice!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
ORD to LaSalle - 45 min
Not that it changes a whole lot, but the LaSalle blue line stop is at the very southern end of the loop proper. The train only time from ORD blue line to the Clark/lake, the first blue line loop stop, is 40 minutes, so there is a ~5 minute swing depending on exactly which loop stop you're headed to.

But yeah, the blue line all the way out to ORD from the loop is a slog. However, as mentioned earlier, the Kennedy expressway is often even worse!

The train only time from MDW orange line to the the first stop in the loop is 25 minutes.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 21, 2022 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:57 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Not that it changes a whole lot, but the LaSalle blue line stop is at the very southern end of the loop proper. The train only time from ORD blue line to the Clark/lake, the first blue line loop stop, is 40 minutes, so there is a ~5 minute swing depending on exactly which loop stop you're headed to.

The blue line all the way out to ORD is a slog, but as mentioned earlier, the Kennedy expressway is often even worse!
SF has a similar thing going on where it could be as short as 26 min to Civic Center or 28 min to Powell, but Google Maps has downtown set at California & Market, so the closest station is Embarcadero. Either way, I'd just tell people it's roughly 30 min to DTSF. Right now, driving would be faster, but taxis and Ubers/Lyfts are way more expensive. During rush hour it'd probably be about a 30-35 min drive.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

SFO? That airport was designed by MC Escher...

Quote:
SF has a similar thing going on where it could be as short as 26 min to Civic Center or 28 min to Powell, but Google Maps has downtown set at California & Market, so the closest station is Embarcadero. Either way, I'd just tell people it's roughly 30 min to DTSF. Right now, driving would be faster, but taxis and Ubers/Lyfts are way more expensive. During rush hour it'd probably be about a 30-35 min drive.
I flew out of SFO yesterday and driving seems to be the only option if you don't live in SF proper, Oakland or somewhere on the Peninsula.

Last edited by JManc; Nov 21, 2022 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:25 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I've been to MSP and it's got nothing on DTW.

Atlanta airport at number 2 is a surprise. Never been because I've avoided it, but I've never heard any good things about ATL.
In spite of its massive size and incredible flight and passenger volume it's very efficient. Very easy to get around. It's a great aiport.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:57 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The International Terminal is a SOM design.

https://www.som.com/projects/san-fra...onal-terminal/

Domestic terminals by Gensler. Terminal 1 is undergoing renovation right now. 3 of the 4 phases have been completed.
https://www.gensler.com/projects/san...t-zero-program
https://www.gensler.com/projects/san...ort-terminal-2
https://www.gensler.com/projects/san...-boarding-area

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:04 PM

San Francisco is a good airport, lax is trash. Not just because I live there by Phoenix has a really fast and easy airport compared to most I’ve been too with plenty of good options and little in terms of delay or confusion. Every airport in nyc is some of the worst I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with and the new Salt Lake City airport is Beautiful but the security line is wonky

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Newark is by far the worst airport known to mankind.

@ homebucket: It was a joke, MC Escher was not an architect but drew this:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:27 PM

Newark now has 2 out of 3 terminals brand new or newish, with the third about to be replaced. It will soon be one of the newest U.S. airports.

New Orleans is also now a nice airport. Brand new terminal. Another one that went from one of the worst to one of the best.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:49 PM

Quote:
^ Newark is by far the worst airport known to mankind.

@ homebucket: It was a joke, MC Escher was not an architect but drew this:
Newark's issue was that it was designed before security of air travel was an issue. It'll be interesting to see how/if they resolve that design flaw. I always thought they needed to just start over from scratch lol.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:

I flew out of SFO yesterday and driving seems to be the only option if you don't live in SF proper, Oakland or somewhere on the Peninsula.
I would take caltrain to Milbrae and transfer to Bart to sfo from diridon station in san jose. also its a long ride but you can take bart from fremont as well to sfo.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 9:18 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
I would take caltrain to Milbrae and transfer to Bart to sfo from diridon station in san jose. also its a long ride but you can take bart from fremont as well to sfo.
If coming from Fremont, I'd probably opt for OAK or SJC if possible. Easier to get to and cheaper fares generally.

For OAK, it'd be a 25 min BART ride and then a 9 min Beige line ride. Unfortunately, SJC will have no rail connections from the East Bay even with future downtown SJ BART extension.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 9:26 PM

LAX is making major improvements, but it's still far and away my least favorite airport to fly out of. The traffic and congestion in the central drop off area can be absolutely absurd. Each of the terminals are fairly small and self-contained, so you can't just pop over to another terminal for different food options if you want. Terminals are almost always extremely crowded and have limited food options that are also crowded. There's no consistent design language among the terminals-- Bradley Intl terminal is a beauty, but some of the others, like United, are outdated and ugly. It's just a very stressful airport experience every time I go there.

Good news is they are rebuilding most of the terminals, which should improve things somewhat. Though the recently renovated Delta terminal still leaves much to be desired (it's not complete yet, so I'll wait to reserve full judgement, but so far it seems quite unimpressive). The automated people mover will also be a HUGE improvement for LAX, as it will eliminate all the shuttles and most of the personal traffic in the central terminal area. I cannot wait for that to open, as it will make ground connections to transit and ride share much smoother.

I fly out of Burbank as much as possible.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:12 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
LAX is making major improvements, but it's still far and away my least favorite airport to fly out of. The traffic and congestion in the central drop off area can be absolutely absurd. Each of the terminals are fairly small and self-contained, so you can't just pop over to another terminal for different food options if you want. Terminals are almost always extremely crowded and have limited food options that are also crowded. There's no consistent design language among the terminals-- Bradley Intl terminal is a beauty, but some of the others, like United, are outdated and ugly. It's just a very stressful airport experience every time I go there.

Good news is they are rebuilding most of the terminals, which should improve things somewhat. Though the recently renovated Delta terminal still leaves much to be desired (it's not complete yet, so I'll wait to reserve full judgement, but so far it seems quite unimpressive). The automated people mover will also be a HUGE improvement for LAX, as it will eliminate all the shuttles and most of the personal traffic in the central terminal area. I cannot wait for that to open, as it will make ground connections to transit and ride share much smoother.

Once the LAX/Metro Transit Center station is completed and opened, that should help improve things as well. It won't be a one seat ride but at least there will be a direct rail connection. Right now, from Westchester/Veterans station it's about a 18 min K line ride, then 19 min E line ride, and then a 1 min D line ride to Pershing Square. I'm guessing from LAX/Metro Transit Center, it'd be another 3 min added, so 21 min K, then 19 min E, then 1 min D to Pershing Square. Factor in the people mover, maybe another 5-10 min depending on which terminal you're at, for a total ride time of about 46-51 min to DTLA.

Although I guess with Burbank, you can take do a 25 min Metrolink Antelope Valley Line ride to Union Station, then a 3 min D line ride to Pershing Square, for a total of only 28 min ride.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post

The access road to LAX's terminals seems like it was designed to create as many traffic jams as possible. It's absurd considering that private vehicle is how the vast majority of people reach LAX.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:32 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Quote:
If coming from Fremont, I'd probably opt for OAK or SJC if possible. Easier to get to and cheaper fares generally.

For OAK, it'd be a 25 min BART ride and then a 9 min Beige line ride. Unfortunately, SJC will have no rail connections from the East Bay even with future downtown SJ BART extension.
Also wanted to add that this is a scenario where a new Caltrain line utilizing a renovated Dumbarton rail bridge would be really handy. Meta was funded a feasibility study and for a second was about to invest $1 billion in the project, but I doubt that is in the works anytime soon considering their current situation. It would've been neat if all their main offices (Downtown SF, Burlingame, Menlo Park, Fremont) were all connected by Caltrain.

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...r-the-bay.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:43 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

SJC is typically my first choice, I can Uber from my place rather than drive and it's closer with no $7 bridge toll. SFO just has tons of more options to fly back and forth from IAH (both UA hubs with tons of flights). OAK is almost non for United. It's a big SWA hub but Hobby (Houston's SWA hub) is about 40+ miles from our house. IAH much closer. BART is well over an hour. I can get to SFO in about a half hour.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ that would be damn cool but given Meta's meta financial problems, they will likely stick to their shuttle system for the foreseeable future. They run all over the Bay Area. Though, that rail line literally runs right next to the main MPK campus.

Quote:
Also wanted to add that this is a scenario where a new Caltrain line utilizing a renovated Dumbarton rail bridge would be really handy. Meta was funded a feasibility study and for a second was about to invest $1 billion in the project, but I doubt that is in the works anytime soon considering their current situation. It would've been neat if all their main offices (Downtown SF, Burlingame, Menlo Park, Fremont) were all connected by Caltrain.

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...r-the-bay.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Once the LAX/Metro Transit Center station is completed and opened, that should help improve things as well. It won't be a one seat ride but at least there will be a direct rail connection. Right now, from Westchester/Veterans station it's about a 18 min K line ride, then 19 min E line ride, and then a 1 min D line ride to Pershing Square. I'm guessing from LAX/Metro Transit Center, it'd be another 3 min added, so 21 min K, then 19 min E, then 1 min D to Pershing Square. Factor in the people mover, maybe another 5-10 min depending on which terminal you're at, for a total ride time of about 46-51 min to DTLA.

Although I guess with Burbank, you can take do a 25 min Metrolink Antelope Valley Line ride to Union Station, then a 3 min D line ride to Pershing Square, for a total of only 28 min ride.
That 46-51 mins doesn't take into account waiting times. Having to transfer 3 times, with LA Metro's less than optimal headways, could easily add 15-20 mins to that, if not more. Still, it will be a huge improvement. And obviously not everyone will be going to downtown. I would have LOVED the rail connection we're about to have to LAX when I was a student at USC and living walking distance from the Expo Line. Once the Crenshaw line gets extended north to join the Red Line, I'll have a very direct transit ride to LAX. Just need to stay in my neighborhood ~40 more years

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions