HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 7:20 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Austin is basically doing what Nashville failed to do.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 7:26 PM

Yep... at least we didn't go Nashville on it. I imagine our traffic issues are worse and I think people are desperate for any potential alleviation. Look forward to this, I35 expansion and new airport terminal in the next 10 yrs. Lotta stuff to keep an eye on... not to mention the supertall proposals coming in

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 9:46 PM

I remember reading this from a Nashville poster when it was first posted in the light rail boom thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
It actually had majority support city-wide in Nashville until the fucking Koch brothers started their campaign of misinformation. The city, admittedly, did a very poor job countering said misinformation, but still, it was quite infuriating. Austinites shouldn't get too confident, as politically it isn't that much more progressive than Nashville, and is just as susceptible to misinformation campaigns. I hope it goes better for them though!
It went well, it passed. Austin is more progressive.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 9:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

Silver lining

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 11:33 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
I remember reading this from a Nashville poster when it was first posted in the light rail boom thread.

Lol... what's the point of bringing that up? I mean I wasn't rooting against you... I'm glad it passed in Austin. All I meant was that based on the experience I went through personally with the failure of Nashville's plan, I thought it'd be wise not to get too invested in it emotionally until it actually passes, because voters approved of it in polling in Nashville at first too, and you never know what might happen. Also, yes, I agree Austin is more progressive, which is why I said as much. In any case, congrats to Austin... a win for urbanites any time a city decides to make the investment in a real transit system.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post

Not only is Austin more progressive, it is also substantially more educated a population than Nashville and thus less susceptible to misinformation campaigns.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 5:07 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Not only is Austin more progressive, it is also substantially more educated a population than Nashville and thus less susceptible to misinformation campaigns.
Really? Are there any evidence stating so?
From https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/na...lancetennessee

Nashville
High school graduate or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 88.3%
Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 39.7%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5218#HSG495218

Austin
High school graduate or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 89.1%
Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 50.4%

Are you sure crowing about less than 1% high school and less than 11% Bachelor degree superiority shows higher enlightenment.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 5:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Really? Are there any evidence stating so?
From https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/na...lancetennessee

Nashville
High school graduate or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 88.3%
Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 39.7%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5218#HSG495218

Austin
High school graduate or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 89.1%
Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25 years+, 2014-2018 50.4%

Are you sure crowing about less than 1% high school and less than 11% Bachelor degree superiority shows higher enlightenment.
I think an 11% difference is YUUUUGE.

In all seriousness, thank you for providing evidence in my support of what I said. This source also shows a decent gap between the two on bachelors or higher: https://ssti.org/blog/useful-stats-e...area-2007-2017

I'd also call attention to graduate and professional degree attainment, which is likely higher here as well. Nashville regionally has approximately 150k graduate and professional degree holders (https://www.nashville.gov/Work/Demographics.aspx), but even if Austin city limits alone meets the national average for graduate and professional degree attainment per metro area (13.1% according to the census) then it alone has 130K. I guarantee that it has a higher rate and that the suburbs here add further to that number.

Another set of numbers I'd like to draw attention to:

Austin: $67,462 median household income
Nashville: $55,873 median household income

Austin: $2.1449 per $100 of assessed value annual property tax rate without system
Nashville: $4.221 per $100 of assessed value annual property tax rate without system

Austin:$426,750 median home value
Nashville: $298,039 median home value

Austin: in-migrants from rail-friendly political jurisdictions
Nashville: in-migrants from the sticks

It is not unreasonable to assume that many rational Nashville voters realized they (a) didn't have the income to (b) support an EVEN higher tax rate to (c) support a rail system in a city that although is densifying, is not as dense as they'd like it to be, on (d) comparatively low median home values whereas Austin voters realized they (a) had the income to (b) support a moderate tax rate to (d) support a rail system in a city that is already decently dense (just wait until the new census numbers come out, y'all, it is going to shock the changes made to Dallas, Houston, Austin, and even San Antonio as well on density) and becoming more so.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Nov 5, 2020 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

Forget bachelors degrees and glassy eyed statistics... Does the spiritual home of country music seem like it would be more progressive politically than the actual home of SXSW?

I'm sort of half kidding but not really.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:03 PM
World Traveler

ATX's post on the previous page got me thinking - is this actually going to coincide with construction for I-35 improvements? Man, sometimes I'm glad I don't work downtown. That said, if that does happen, it will be horrendous for traffic for a while. Of course we all know that and it's worth it, but I'm curious on timing once details are further developed.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:54 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Forget bachelors degrees and glassy eyed statistics... Does the spiritual home of country music seem like it would be more progressive politically than the actual home of SXSW?

I'm not even sure who you guys are having this 'debate' with, because, "the Nashvillian" (aka ME) who's quote sparked this whole thing agrees with you that Austin is more progressive, as I stated previously. So...

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Yeah.... mic drop.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 6:40 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Yeah.... mic drop.
Except the guy with the mic is speaking to an empty room... BOOM!!! Yeah, he really schooled all of those zero people arguing against him.

In any case, I'll leave it there. You guys are basically pretending I'm not here anyway. Congrats again to Austin... it is becoming quite the incredible urban oasis and I look forward to seeing what the future has in store for it! Cheers.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 7:00 PM

A lot of new jobs will be created! Congratulations to Austin!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Except the guy with the mic is speaking to an empty room... BOOM!!! Yeah, he really schooled all of those zero people arguing against him.

In any case, I'll leave it there. You guys are basically pretending I'm not here anyway. Congrats again to Austin... it is becoming quite the incredible urban oasis and I look forward to seeing what the future has in store for it! Cheers.
I'll pretend that you are here. I think it has more to do electricron's post than your original post.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 8:12 PM

Nashville’s 2018 rail transit referendum was 64% oppose and 36% support. It went overwhelmingly in the favor of the opposition.

Basically just a smidgen above 1 out of 3 people supported it and the areas of the city supporting it were limited. If these results are any indication then Nashville isn’t likely to pass a transit referendum before 2030. Support being in the 30% range is way too low to change in just a few years and it becomes a long term game. Throw in the state of transit in the US post-Covid and it’s probably an even higher uphill battle. What Nashville planners need to do now is revamp their plans and make it something most people can envision supporting. When Austin failed to pass the previous plan in 2014, they took nearly 6 years to draft a much better plan and the results of that time and work they put in paid off. I think Nashville can follow in a similar trajectory if they put some time into a more comprehensive and agreeable transit solution.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ten.../amp/573756002

Transit referendum’s have failed in Austin in the past but part of the reason was because the plan by Capitol Metro was never ambitious or effective enough to inspire confidence. Others this time around gravitated towards the plan in emphatic fashion because it was bold and ambitious and served key parts of the city. The city also suffers from a nightmare scenario on traffic and people had enough.

Austin and Nashville are similar cities, it’s almost scary how similar they are despite being 800+ miles away from each other. So Austin passing transit should inspire confidence that Nashville can and eventually will too one day in the future.

Last edited by N90; Nov 5, 2020 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Yeah.... mic drop.
Country Music has gone woke.

Here’s your mic back. I think you dropped it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 10:38 PM

The Nashville vote was tainted by Mayor Berry's sex scandal. She was the face of the transit initiative but was forced to resign shortly before the vote when it was revealed that she had been banging her city-assigned bodyguard on the regular for a year or more.

The other issue was the decade-long obstruction of Lee Beaman, whose auto dealership occupied the prime blocks between Downtown Nashville and Vanderbilt. He just sold earlier this year and the new owner of the property intends to redevelop it:
https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...own-dealership

According to that article, the owners of the other dealerships on Broadway are also selling. A subway will be built under Broadway in 10-20 years as the intensity of development is staggering.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 12:11 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Country Music has gone woke.
That's hilarious. Country as a whole is about as woke as Hot Topic is punk rock. I could be wrong though, I really don't give a rip.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 1:25 AM

I think anything that needs to be said about Nashville and country music has been said.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Nov 6, 2020 at 1:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation