HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I don't get down to Oak Brook much anymore, but was there this week and there is a massive tower crane up at the old McD's headquarters redevelopment.
Back in OB today. Looking west down Cermak/22nd at York, flooring is about 10 floors. Caught me by surprise. It’s big. Not topped out yet.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:48 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Back in OB today. Looking west down Cermak/22nd at York, flooring is about 10 floors. Caught me by surprise. It’s big. Not topped out yet.
I was in Oakbrook yesterday, I actually counted 16 floors (including core).

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:25 PM

I took this about a month ago from my office on the 20th floor of 1 Tower Lane here in Oakbrook Terrace. . . I'll try and get over there to take another photo from Cermak or Spring Road later this afternoon. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:33 PM

Took these over lunch today. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:35 PM
1st Ward

I wonder if one day suburban employment centers like OB or Schaumburg will densify by building up midrise office/residential/parking garages on all those parking lots? What a sight to behold that would be. The timeline for something like this to come to fruition would probably be measured in decades. Perhaps end of this century? lol

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:47 PM

Thanks Tom

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:00 PM
TL;DR

This tower is residential apparently... will be among the tallest resi buildings in suburban Chicago when finished, certainly outside of Evanston/Oak Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I wonder if one day suburban employment centers like OB or Schaumburg will densify by building up midrise office/residential/parking garages on all those parking lots? What a sight to behold that would be. The timeline for something like this to come to fruition would probably be measured in decades. Perhaps end of this century? lol
Reston Town Center in VA is probably the most you can achieve without real transit (and RTC finally is getting a Metro stop so it can keep growing). North of the border, Mississauga shows you can even have this kind of growth if you provide good bus service.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post

. . .

This is totally unrelated, but what is this American (or at least NA) obsession with mounting light masts to an enormous 2 foot tube form of concrete? Why is this a practice?

And yes, before anyone says anything, I do find issue with things that others either don't think about or contemplate over. It's a gift.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This is totally unrelated, but what is this American (or at least NA) obsession with mounting light masts to an enormous 2 foot tube form of concrete? Why is this a practice?

And yes, before anyone says anything, I do find issue with things that others either don't think about or contemplate over. It's a gift.
I don't know why this particular standard is being applied at this location, but most light poles in America don't look like this. Light poles along highways are designed with breakaway bases and if you drop down to streetview and look at any light pole in Chicago, you'll see they don't look like this either.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN12Franklin View Post
I don't know why this particular standard is being applied at this location, but most light poles in America don't look like this. Light poles along highways are designed with breakaway bases and if you drop down to streetview and look at any light pole in Chicago, you'll see they don't look like this either.
Right. . . perhaps there wasn't a sufficient base to mount it on at this location? Probably has to do with that. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:34 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

It's not a public road, it's a parking access drive. Collisions with vehicles will likely be low speed and are unlikely to harm drivers unless they are acting with extreme recklessness. The priority is on protecting the light pole so it doesn't need to be replaced after a collision with a car or truck.

There's also the issue of road salt, you don't want anything rust-prone to be within a few feet of the ground. In warmer parts of the country you can get direct-embedded poles that don't need a footing, assuming the soil is good.

Some jurisdictions out west require wooden utility poles instead of metal ones - I rarely see that in the Midwest but if you do it right you can save money and provide a nice eco-modernist appearance.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:08 PM

New Evanston density area of Ridge and Emerson -

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:46 PM

Skokie - Oakton and Niles

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that thing sure changes the look and feel of downtown skokie.

she ain't winning any beauty contests, but her visual bulk sure makes the area look a lot more substantial and anchored.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 19, 2021 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:06 PM

Agreed 100% ugly but at least spurring more new development nearby also not great but at least its density!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 10:18 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ that thing sure changes the look and feel of downtown skokie.

she ain't winning any beauty contests, but her visual bulk sure makes the area look a lot more substantial and anchored.
That additional residential density should give a boost to street activity and local business vitality as well!

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:08 PM

Downtown Elmhurst is humming along. All those projects I mentioned last year are topped out, brick going up.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:11 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Downtown Elmhurst is humming along. All those projects I mentioned last year are topped out, brick going up.
Do you have photos? Would be nice to see all of that progress.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:38 PM
The City

Quote:
I love what’s happening down there. I may have to stop by soon and take a peek

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 8:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Agreed 100% ugly but at least spurring more new development nearby also not great but at least its density!

I really wish there could just be a blanket ban on utility brick on facades. While this new build is dull af, awkward and generally unappealing, nice standard brick with a few banded details on the front would have gone a long way at blunting the impact.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development