HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Remember the 4 story condo development on Irving Park Rd that got rejected cause it wasn't dense enough? Here's the updated, denser proposal from Chicago YIMBY | 5 stories | 40 units | 8 affordable | 16 parking

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/06/upd...th-center.html
Great to see the density bump for that corner. I know the image is just a massing model, so I'm looking forward to the finished renderings.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:19 PM

7+ lots for sale at the corner of Armitage & Western. This is the bulk (perhaps all) of the Lazo family land holdings at this intersection. According to the listing it's TOD eligible

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2003...o-IL/22013046/

the redevelopment of this intersection(s) is slow but progressing nicely. this intersection also has 3 different alderman overseeing based on what side of the street you are on.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:09 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Great to see the density bump for that corner. I know the image is just a massing model, so I'm looking forward to the finished renderings.
Well the architect is SGW so they could do a contemporary design or take it a more traditional direction (SGW did all the really nice brick infill for Candea).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well the architect is SGW so they could do a contemporary design or take it a more traditional direction (SGW did all the really nice brick infill for Candea).
Yeah I had checked out their website and really like their work. Especially that new West loop project over by the Target. There’s also a nice new modern residential building across from Chicago Joe’s on Irving. So I’d be happy if it were of similar quality.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
^that intersection is begging for a 10+ story building! may have to find another 3am taco spot though
Looks like Arturo's Tacos on the corner is being spared.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:36 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
^that intersection is begging for a 10+ story building! may have to find another 3am taco spot though
I hope the charming 4 story prewar masonry building at 2021 N Western is spared (corner of Western and McLean) from any future development. The rest would be no big loss. (I'm not a fan of Lazo's, lol). A large development (5+ stories) would really help add some needed bulk to this stretch of Western. Now if we can only get rid of that McDonald's on the corner of Western and Milwaukee (or keep it, and simply incorporate it in the base of a bigger development) as well, its such a waste of valuable land that's mere steps from the blue line stop.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I hope the charming 4 story prewar masonry building at 2021 N Western is spared (corner of Western and McLean) from any future development. The rest would be no big loss. (I'm not a fan of Lazo's, lol). A large development (5+ stories) would really help add some needed bulk to this stretch of Western. Now if we can only get rid of that McDonald's on the corner of Western and Milwaukee (or keep it, and simply incorporate it in the base of a bigger development) as well, its such a waste of valuable land that's mere steps from the blue line stop.
Las Asadas would be my recommended go-to: 2045 N Western (Dickens & Western) not only because I live on Dickens but their steak tacos are hard to beat. I'm conflicted though because I also hope Las Asadas and their parking lot get developed into a 4-5 story building. Tacos or Development?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Las Asadas would be my recommended go-to: 2045 N Western (Dickens & Western) not only because I live on Dickens but their steak tacos are hard to beat. I'm conflicted though because I also hope Las Asadas and their parking lot get developed into a 4-5 story building. Tacos or Development?
The only thing better than their steak tacos are their steak tostadas. And the hot dogs at Red Hot Ranch. And the pizza at John's.

Can you tell I miss living in that area?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:42 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Now if we can only get rid of that McDonald's on the corner of Western and Milwaukee (or keep it, and simply incorporate it in the base of a bigger development) as well, its such a waste of valuable land that's mere steps from the blue line stop.
McDonalds are notoriously hard to redevelop; otherwise the Chicago/State location would have gone away long ago.

I am curious how the redevelopment was done at Wrigley though. Looks like the Ricketts paid more than 50% above market value to get McDonalds to part with their property back in 2011, and even then McDonalds demanded the right to continue operating on the site indefinitely:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...-wrigley-field

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:14 PM
The City

McDonald's truly is in the real estate business, because their business strategy has always been to procure the best spots indefinitely

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
McDonalds are notoriously hard to redevelop; otherwise the Chicago/State location would have gone away long ago.

I am curious how the redevelopment was done at Wrigley though. Looks like the Ricketts paid more than 50% above market value to get McDonalds to part with their property back in 2011, and even then McDonalds demanded the right to continue operating on the site indefinitely:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...-wrigley-field
Hmmm.... Well, the properties are hard to redevelop only in the sense that they are not for sale. Maybe that is what you meant. As of 2015, McDonald's had $28 Billion in real estate on it's books and is basically a landlord to it's individual restaurant owners charging them a percent of sales for the lease. They can still operate this model without owned real estate by arbitrage on the lease.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) and the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) unveiled the preliminary design concepts for a rebuilt State/Lake ‘L’ station, the latest marquee project in the modernization of the nation’s second-largest transit agency.

The new State/Lake CTA station will replace the more than 100-year-old existing structure with a modern, fully accessible rail hub with wider platforms and a host of customer amenities, built to 21st Century design standards. It includes wide balconies open to the public facing north and south that create scenic overlooks of State Street, including an up-close view of the landmark Chicago Theater. The bold architectural design is in keeping with recent signature stations, such as the 95th Street Terminal, the Washington/Wabash station, and the Damen Green Line station, which will begin construction later this year.

More pictures in the press release

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 11:18 PM

What's the timing of the rebuild? Is funding secured?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 11:47 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Hmm, is this going to change the iconic Chicago Theater picture? Looks ok though. Is it somehow going to improve connection to the red line?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:28 AM

wow! the station looks incredible. it's a long time coming for a new station to replace it

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Hmm, is this going to change the iconic Chicago Theater picture? Looks ok though. Is it somehow going to improve connection to the red line?

https://twitter.com/som_design/statu...267170305?s=21

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:54 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
yeah clearly I didn't bother to click on the linked article

in my defense, it loads like dogshit from Greenland...

I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, I like the way it looks, but I feel like a classic postcard view is lost.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:09 AM
1st Ward

I also don't know how to feel about this... I hope that the new station does not cover up or replace the old iron supports and structure. The history of the L is the best part of having an elevated system (as opposed to say some modern, concrete structure) in the Loop. I too have concerns about the iconic view of the Chicago Theatre being obstructed or overshadowed by this station.

If it improves connectivity to the red line however, I would be fine with this. (IE, direct connection. No need to exit one station or another to transfer lines)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:13 AM

$180 million and there isn't even a direct connection to the Red Line. Dumb as hell.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupaway007 View Post
What's the timing of the rebuild? Is funding secured?
Quote:
"To date, the project has been awarded $11 million in engineering and design funding and $119 million in construction funding through the federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program," the CTA said in a statement. "The total estimated project cost is approximately $180 million, and the City of Chicago is seeking additional funding from various potential sources."

Once funding and design plans are finalized, it will take about three years to construct the station redesign.
src

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development