HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:06 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

We do also have one of the largest refineries in the country (although it's in Indiana), although I'm not sure if getting rid of that is a net positive or net negative...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Electric cars need car parts, too. GM has committed to going all-electric by 2035. Rivian assembles downstate. I don't see the cause for alarm.
EV motors typically have a few moving parts. Internal combustion engines have HUNDREDS.

Quote:
In fact, according to Tesla, their drivetrain only has about 17 moving parts compared to the 200 or so in a typical drivetrain for an internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle. The difference is even starker when considering the complexity of the piece that powers the car: an ICE engine has hundreds of moving parts whereas an electric motor typically has just 2. With increased complexity comes increased costs—not just up front, but also over and over again when you need to spend money to maintain the complex machines that ICE cars are.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/madhur-...c-vehicles-101

Trust me, the auto supplier network is poised for a lot of pain.

Anyhow, we can discuss this elsewhere if necessary

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:10 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Electric cars need car parts, too. GM has committed to going all-electric by 2035. Rivian assembles downstate. I don't see the cause for alarm.
Not nearly as many parts, and the supply chain for EVs includes a lot more electronics and less metal castings/forgings. Those are made by different companies altogether, and they are not concentrated in Chicago. Electrification will absolutely require a careful pivot by Chicago firms to avoid becoming obsolete.

This is actually part of the environmental benefit of EVs. Fewer moving parts mean less wear/tear, less dust and chemicals ending up on the roads, etc. If they can just work on the tires and brakes they will eliminate pretty much all pollution from the vehicles themselves.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:12 PM
The City

^ Please visit the Chicago Economy thread for another response to the topic of EVs and the regional economy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:44 PM

The Fulton Lab Building is decking what looks to be the 14th or so floor. I may not know what I am looking at, but it looks like framing for the curtainwall is starting to go up now too. I wouldn't imagine they would be glazing this in the field - but I don't know what all these large posts are for. On the north side of the building, I think I spotted the first panel getting installed in front of them. Does anyone know the system they are using? High performing for Lab type building, no?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:23 PM
TL;DR

^ The renderings certainly make it look like a stick-built system, it looks pretty flat/basic and there are slab edge covers so it's probably not curtain wall.

https://rejournals.com/wp-content/up...s-3-scaled.jpg

Of course these mullions are too thin to be believable, so maybe the rendering is not the best way to judge...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:46 AM

The residential community near UIC bounded by Ashland, Roosevelt, Taylor, and Loomis has received 14 permits in the last month to rehab what looks like all the buildings. Total combined cost is nearly $17.8M according to the permits. I believe this is called Circle Park Apartments - across from Addams/Medill Park and also the Medical District.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:14 PM

New construction building permit was finally issued for the parcel on Clark St just south of Fullerton that's sat vacant for the last few years. It used to be a Walgreens but was torn down.

Plans are for a 5 story, 35 unit building with ground floor retail which was approved by the commission in 2018:

Latest rendering I can find:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New construction building permit was finally issued for the parcel on Clark St just south of Fullerton that's sat vacant for the last few years. It used to be a Walgreens but was torn down.

Plans are for a 5 story, 35 unit building with ground floor retail which was approved by the commission in 2018:

Latest rendering I can find:
Walgreen's seems to be retreating from their urban-format stores, in Lakeview at least. The Clark/Broadway & Belmont/Sheffield locations have both closed in the last year. Perhaps their market share has been taken from the small-format Targets that have been opening in the area (and from Amazon).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:47 PM

A few items on the ZBA agenda for February:

1) New 6 story, 13 unit + ground floor commercial in place of the "Phil's Tavern" at Carpenter & Madison:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6+...7!4d-87.653425

2) New 6 story, 50 unit building + 13 parking spaces at Lawrence & Central Park (3559 W Lawrence). Currently a vacant lot

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35...!4d-87.7180773

3) New 5 story, 7 unit building with 13 parking spaces on vacant lot at 3015 N Southport just north of Lincoln & Wellington:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...67!4d-87.66335

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 4:17 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Walgreen's seems to be retreating from their urban-format stores, in Lakeview at least. The Clark/Broadway & Belmont/Sheffield locations have both closed in the last year. Perhaps their market share has been taken from the small-format Targets that have been opening in the area (and from Amazon).

I wonder if it's a broader format shift or what. I will say however that just a cursory glance of Walgreens' performance seems to indicate it's a real mess. Real nice work, Stefano Pessina. So who knows?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 7:59 PM

Optima Lakeview

Hard to perceive in these photos, but this thing feels massive here. Definitely glad the height was chopped (though, the previous design would have had a bit more relief from the street).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Optima Lakeview

Hard to perceive in these photos, but this thing feels massive here. Definitely glad the height was chopped (though, the previous design would have had a bit more relief from the street).
Nah, the height wouldn't have been oppressive. There's 50 story skyscrapers two blocks away for Satan's sake!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Nah, the height wouldn't have been oppressive. There's 50 story skyscrapers two blocks away for Satan's sake!
It’s a bit frustrating they couldn’t have set it back like, 2 feet though for a wider sidewalk. Might just feel that way with the scaffolding, but it feels very close to the street, and the sidewalk is too narrow for a restaurant seating area here as is.

Still it’s 50000000000000x better than the treasure island! Here’s hoping the hotel next door gets going quickly, what a change for that little stretch!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:29 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Except that tower is along Inner LSD, and it doesn't directly abut small-scale buildings. I tend to agree that the approved development massing and height is actually better than the original proposal. I definitely agree that the Broadway/Addison area is getting much, MUCH better with this development!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
I work very closely with WBA / Wag in my job; i've asked them about this and was told the stores aren't profitable.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:46 PM

does anyone know what the deal actually is with the land situation at 32nd/kedzie. this is the site that almost a decade ago st anthony eyed for their new hospital. this article seems to have a decent recap from last summer. this seems to imply both cinespace and st anthony have been battling for the land, and ultimately neither of them were awarded the sale by the city
https://southsideweekly.com/final-pi...thonys-puzzle/

Quote:
Medaglia went on to say that he had hired Michael Shakman, “a Chicago lawyer who has brought legal action against the City in the past,” (he’s the lawyer behind the Shakman Decrees, the federal court orders limiting patronage in city hiring) to “open a dialogue” with Lightfoot’s administration. If the administration rebuffed the advance, “he and his firm have been authorized to sue the City in federal court to obtain the Washburne property.”

Saint Anthony’s spokesperson acknowledged that Medaglia had sent the email, but claimed that “there has never been anything mentioned about the hospital closing…We did start that dialogue and have since been communicating with the City.”

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Cinespace stated that “CPS returned the earnest money from the bidding process for the vacant lot…some time ago. It is the understanding of Cinespace that the property is no longer available. If the property becomes available again, we intend to explore it as an option for studio expansion.”
right now, there are squatters in the final building waiting to be demolished trying to turn this into a housing debate. that aside, this seems to imply st anthony owns the lot. is this a different parcel altogether, or did the sale actually go through?

https://southsideweekly.com/final-pi...thonys-puzzle/

Quote:
Saint Anthony Hospital bought the land, but occupants said in a press conference that representatives have not shown them permits for the demolition of the structure. In the beginning, the tenants tried multiple times to talk to American Demolition, the company contracted for the demolition, but when a crew asked to be let in to look around, the tenants said they started pulling things out of the ceiling, destroying the place and ruining a lot of the handyman work the tenants had done around the building.
maybe im just missing something in this timeline.

further, i know st anthonys finances are strapped last i read. how does that impact the overall plan here, or is that just one of many unknowns at this stage?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:54 PM

My render studio completed what will be the first of many animations, showing off the portfolio of Adjustable Concrete Construction. This first animation focuses on their new office work in the west loop. Thought Id share this with you all.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 7:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
right now, there are squatters in the final building waiting to be demolished trying to turn this into a housing debate. that aside, this seems to imply st anthony owns the lot. is this a different parcel altogether, or did the sale actually go through?
Yeah the squatters are in Azteca Mall (3200 S Kedzie) which was purchased privately by St Anthonys. The Washburne site (3100 S Kedzie) is still owned by CPS.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah the squatters are in Azteca Mall (3200 S Kedzie) which was purchased privately by St Anthonys. The Washburne site (3100 S Kedzie) is still owned by CPS.
so was the 3200 lot ever part of their original vision? do they still need 3100 in order to move forward, or is this just landbanking on the off chance they can get the city to change their minds and combine these together?

im a bit lost what the city intends for this lot if theyve rebuffed both cinespace and st anthonys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development