HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 5:41 PM
Fake News

A bizarre bunker house seemingly built for the zombie apocalypse just south of Calgary:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8488...7i16384!8i8192

The finished form is worse than this streetview. It's all dark wood paneling with not a window visible from the street.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

House in suburban St. John’s. $600K lol Not hard to tell it’s Alberta money.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:22 PM

What in the ever-living fuck

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:36 PM
the first stamp is free

^ someone somewhere is missing their ornate fireplace mantle.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:36 PM
Fake News

My only guess is that’s a salvage doorway from a historic building that they’ve tacked on to a vinyl siding shitbox. Even with Alberta oil money they spent nothing on accent materials of any kind. Wtf.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:49 PM
the first stamp is free

^ maybe its some debris from a shipwreck that washed up.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ maybe its some debris from a shipwreck that washed up.

Here's a fun fact for you.

The "door" that Jack refused to share with Rose in the movie Titanic is not a door at all. It is in fact a bit of panelling from the grand hallway near the main staircase.

James Cameron saw this salvaged piece of panelling on display at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, and it is still on display there. So, if you want to see the infamous piece of wood from the end of the movie and the source of so much controversy over whether or not Jack and Rose could have shared it, just take a trip to Halifax and there it is (along with many other artifacts, including one of the infamous deck chairs from the Titanic).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:22 PM

Seeing aerial of Richmond in the skyline thread called to my attention slabs with podiums, kind of the worst of the both worlds:
https://goo.gl/maps/kCc7pBXYKzYhog8r6

I think the real ugliness is parking lots and garages that surround these buildings, same as any other suburb. A parking lot tax can fund transit to reduce the demand for parking, and of course encourage them to be redeveloped. Even if the individual buildings are ugly, a complete streetwall can make a place very nice, just need to get rid of all that surface parking.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 12:39 AM

Well that house was fine... and then they ruined it. Wow.

And that one just south of Calgary demonstrates my main pet peeve. Lack of windows. Don't know why anyone, in a country where it's cold for so long, wants to eliminate the sunlight and warmth, literally and figuratively, that comes with windows.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 1:20 AM
Great White Norf

SHH,
what in all that is Holy is that brown vinyl box POS with some grand wooden entryway

My eyes. My EYES!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Looks totally recycled, and the varnish/finish really looks like it was intended for indoors use, I'm not sure it'll age well (literally).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Looks totally recycled, and the varnish/finish really looks like it was intended for indoors use, I'm not sure it'll age well (literally).
I agree, especially in a cold and wet maritime climate. It belongs inside.

I don't know why any contractor would go along with this abomination......

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:54 AM

Was it in this thread that the hilarious houses in Detroit, with driveways directly egressing a multi-lane freeway, were posted? That was a mind-blowing thing to see.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:06 AM

That would look cool on like a back deck but not the front of your house.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Was it in this thread that the hilarious houses in Detroit, with driveways directly egressing a multi-lane freeway, were posted? That was a mind-blowing thing to see.
Now I'm intrigued

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 4:39 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
House in suburban St. John’s. $600K lol Not hard to tell it’s Alberta money.

Good GOD! I just looked at this again and noticed the plain Home Depot special 2x4 decking with the Homer Simpson quality column on the right that’s stained to match the ornate archway. It’s potato Jesus level craftsmanship. Like a toddler adding to the Last Supper mural.

WTF is with Nfld and St. John’s specifically? For such a beautiful city its suburbs give Laval a run for its money. Though there is The Rooms right downtown…

Do some people not have human eyes? Can’t their brains ascertain that something is so plainly and hilariously hideous? Like the house would be ugly but plain enough to escape notice without highlighting how horrible it is by showcasing old world craftsmanship in the most tacky way possible. It’s like Ralph Wiggum stapling Lisa’s essay as the front page of his assignment.

Edit: I just processed the deck and noticed the gravel front yard. Not a stitch of landscaping. Who are these people?! And how the hell is this dump worth $600k?! That would buy you a much nicer Mcmansion in Calgary.

I also like how they lazily took the listing pics themselves and included the ass end of their pickup truck in the frame. It goes without saying that anyone who buys this drives a Ford F-150.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 2, 2023 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:38 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Oh MY GOD! I just looked at this again and noticed the plain Home Depot special 2x4 decking with the Homer Simpson quality column on the right that’s stained to match the ornate archway. It’s potato Jesus level craftsmanship. Like a toddler adding to the Last Supper mural.

WTF is with Nfld and St. John’s specifically? For such a beautiful city its suburbs give Laval a run for its money. Though there is The Rooms right downtown…

Do some people not have human eyes? Can’t their brains ascertain when something is so plainly and hilariously hideous? Like the house would be ugly but plain enough to escape notice without highlighting how horrible it is by showcasing old world craftsmanship in the most tacky way possible. It’s like Ralph Wiggum stapling Lisa’s essay as the front page of his assignment.

Edit: I just processed the deck and noticed the gravel front yard. Not a stitch of landscaping. Who are these people?! And how the hell is this dump worth $600k?! That would buy you a much nicer Mcmansion in Calgary.

I also like how they lazily took the listing pics themselves and included the ass end of their pickup truck in the frame. It goes without saying that anyone who buys this drives a Ford F-150.
^ Yep, it looks like a gatehouse for an internment camp. No doubt, the windows and view are on the other side, but there is some considerable skill required in making the less open front side presentable, and it is severely lacking in cases like this, with all the fish & chips take-out style windows and rough wood that doesn't match anything else (but at least this one has a nice, but totally incongruous neo-classical fireplace surround for an entrance). Regarding the landscaping, it's commonly an afterthought in NL, probably just something done in the spare time of retirement years after the house is paid for. NL would drive you to distraction that way, just as it used to do to me.
The mother-in-law door must be on the other side.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Now I'm intrigued
It was fascinatingly crazy and dystopian, but their posting must have been somewhere in the City Discussions forum. I tried to find the houses on Google Maps last night, without success. I'm fairly certain it was Detroit, but it might have been Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:58 PM

Have you ever seen a house where you had to mow the lawn AND the driveway? Okay, I'm sure the driveway part is actually turf and not grass. Interesting concept but I bet it's annoying to drive on. And not to mention the extra stress put on the edges of the concrete as you drive from panel to panel. Not an ugly house, just interesting concept.

And another interesting one around the corner. Not exactly attractive but I wouldn't call it ugly.

Both in North York, which I bet most TO people here would have guessed.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Mellastmanland

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada