HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I love the Hip and Nickelback

Ya! I don't own a single Nickleback album, never will. Well never say never I guess if I buy a record player I might need one. But I disagree with what somebody said about the Hip songs sound all the same. They all tell a story and sound very different to me. I think if you've ever lived or spent a lot of time in Rural Canada the Hip songs narrate the environment very well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:20 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Ya! I don't own a single Nickleback album, never will. Well never say never I guess if I buy a record player I might need one. But I disagree with what somebody said about the Hip songs sound all the same. They all tell a story and sound very different to me. I think if you've ever lived or spent a lot of time in Rural Canada the Hip songs narrate the environment very well.
Very much agreed, just think of Bobcaygeon, 100th Meridian, Wheat Kings, etc.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Better than Prism ????? Them's fighting words. What about Honeymoon Suite? Goddo, April Wine,
BTO, The Guess Who, Chilliwack, Trooper, Rush ...

Last edited by MolsonExport; Feb 1, 2023 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:37 PM
Great White Norf

Nickelback and Great Big Sea are the only big Canadian bands that annoy me.
(apologies to Newfoundlanders that actually know or like Alan Doyle)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Nickelback and Great Big Sea are the only big Canadian bands that annoy me.
(apologies to Newfoundlanders that actually know or like Alan Doyle)
These two are at the top of my list of highly disliked Canadian bands.

Great Big Sea tries to sound like the Pogues. I love the Pogues. I hate Great Big Sea

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:43 PM
Great White Norf

Alan Doyle, the ego and hair of Scott Stapp (Creed) but a dollar store facsimile of The Pogues.
hell, he/his band can't even be compared on par with Spirit of the West.
------------------------
going wayyyy off topic:
speaking of The Pogues. Does anyone know how Shane MacGowan is still alive? Seems like he'd expire before Keith Richards will.

Also, guilty pleasure but I actually like 80s Canadiana, Gowan. Liked him when I first heard his music in the original Degrassi TV series as a kid.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:35 PM
Fake News

Great Big Shit is one of my most reviled cancon acts along with Hedley, Simple Plan, Chavril and Sum41. Then there's overrated acts like Matthew Good. Then the classic awful ones like Barenaked Ladies, Kim Mitchell and Colin James.

For a brief period in the 90's there was good cancon alternative such as Rhymes with Orange, The Odds, The Age of Electric and Econoline Crush. The 70's and 80's were the golden era though.

Edit: I completely forgot about the 00's Indy scene with Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, Metric etc. etc. That was the last golden age.

Last edited by O-tacular; Feb 1, 2023 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great Big Sea was fun when it happened - it was considered the first time our pop-trad genre went mainstream outside the province. But Doyle can’t really sing, the songs were mostly old staples or Nickelback-level simplistic. I don’t hurriedly turn it off the way I do for Nickelback if it comes on the radio, sometimes I might even sing along to the end of the first chorus, but you couldn’t pay me enough to sit through a full Great Big Sea song. Their importance here is more tied into the 2000s-2010s change in our reputation and, especially, treatment in mainland Canada. It’s tied up with Danny pulling down the flags (only time the mainlanders I worked with even knew who our Premier was, asked me what he was like, etc.), our award-winning tourism ads (first time anyone on the mainland, ever, even in the most casual sense, expressed to me ANY interest in coming here), etc. that period changed our reputation and we went from being openly mocked and ridiculed, even to our faces, in business meetings (haha), so the band has a sort of special status for people kind of millennial and elder who experienced Canada at its most prejudiced, provincial.

My fave local groups haven’t changed in many years. The Once (can't pick a fave, they all mean something to me, but one I want at my funeral is Song for Memory), Amelia Curran (fave song is Bye Bye Montreal). They’re so far ahead of anything else in my heart that it doesn’t really make sense to mention third place (Fine Crowd - especially Poverty’s Arse. Fave song is Teresa Maria. He’s doing what Doyle thinks he’s doing).

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Feb 2, 2023 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:09 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Great Big Sea was fun when it happened - it was considered the first time our pop-trad genre went mainstream outside the province. But Doyle can’t really sing, the songs were mostly old staples or Nickelback-level simplistic. I don’t hurriedly turn it off the way I do for Nickelback if it comes on the radio, sometimes I might even sing along to the end of the first chorus, but you couldn’t pay me enough to sit through a full Great Big Sea song. Their importance here is more tied into the 2000s-2010s change in our reputation and, especially, treatment in mainland Canada. It’s tied up with Danny pulling down the flags (only time the mainlanders I worked with even knew who our Premier was, asked me what he was like, etc.), our award-winning tourism ads (first time anyone on the mainland, ever, even in the most casual sense, expressed to me ANY interest in coming here), etc. that period changed our reputation and we went from being openly mocked and ridiculed, even to our faces, in business meetings (haha), so the band has a sort of special status for people kind of millennial and elder who experienced Canada at its most prejudiced, provincial.

My fave local groups haven’t changed in many years. The Once (can't pick a fave, they all mean something to me, but one I want at my funeral is Song for Memory), Amelia Curran (fave song is Bye Bye Montreal). They’re so far ahead of anything else in my heart that it doesn’t really make sense to mention third place (Fine Crowd - especially Poverty’s Arse. Fave song is Teresa Maria. He’s doing what Doyle thinks he’s doing).
Thanks for the suggestions.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:21 PM
Great White Norf

SHH, I think reading your posts and viewing your photo tours over the years has single-handedly changed my perception of Newfoundland & Labrador. I view it as a distinct culture and asset to Canada. I feel like you've given us an insider's POV over the years.
Similar to how I now feel about Québec.

The amazing recent tourism ads help change it in "Mainlanders" eyes as well.

I'll have to check out your music recommendations!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:26 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Great Big Shit is one of my most reviled cancon acts along with Hedley, Simple Plan, Chavril and Sum41. Then there's overrated acts like Matthew Good. Then the classic awful ones like Barenaked Ladies, Kim Mitchell and Colin James.

For a brief period in the 90's there was good cancon alternative such as Rhymes with Orange, The Odds, The Age of Electric and Econoline Crush. The 70's and 80's were the golden era though.

Edit: I completely forgot about the 00's Indy scene with Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, Metric etc. etc. That was the last golden age.
Aren't you the guy that told me you stopped listening to new music sometime in the past decade
How would you know the golden age is done?

Agree with your 90s/00s selections.

Matthew Good will always have a special place in my heart since it was the first BIG CITY concert I attended, with Moist...and Serial Joe lol (Toronto - The ACC)
BNL I love a few of their songs. It's a shame what happened to Steven Page with substance abuse and getting kicked out.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Great Big Sea was fun when it happened - it was considered the first time our pop-trad genre went mainstream outside the province. .
I already had a vague idea they existed as a mostly Newfoundland-only thing, and then was surprised maybe 15-20(?) years ago to randomly (I was radio station surfing) hear teenagers on a pop station from over in Ottawa calling to request their songs and pushing them into the top 5 requested songs of the evening.

So I guess this confirms your impression of their impact.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

The best Cancon is Calgary’s Loverboy! Everybody’s workin’ for the weekend!
Loverboy is from Calgary? I always thought they were from Vancouver or SW BC.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:35 PM

You guys have been bashing Nickleback so much I'm now listening to them on Spotify and I just ordered Bluetooth Record Player and an LP. Apparently they have 13,280,279 listeners a month on Spotify.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Well said. That song that goes '$2.50 for a hi-ball And a buck and a half for a beer Happy hour, happy hour Happy hour is here !!' makes me run for the off switch in a nano second. In the mid 90's I attended a family wedding in the UK and the DJ played the 'Hip' for the Canadian contingent at the wedding. Not popular. A few minutes later back to Oasis, Blur and standard wedding music and the dance floor was full again.

CanCon regulations have definitely benefitted the Hip.
Haha I just knew this story would pop up from you (again)!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:44 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Aren't you the guy that told me you stopped listening to new music sometime in the past decade
How would you know the golden age is done?
I still listen to some new music, but it's mostly metal or Indy. Funny enough my toddler finds new stuff that I like on iTunes all the time. He'll make a great DJ some day. But yes, I feel myself becoming a dad and it frightens me. I even have New Balance runners (but in black).

Quote:
Agree with your 90s/00s selections.

Matthew Good will always have a special place in my heart since it was the first BIG CITY concert I attended, with Moist...and Serial Joe lol (Toronto - The ACC)
BNL I love a few of their songs. It's a shame what happened to Steven Page with substance abuse and getting kicked out.
Oh I forgot about Moist. I liked them too. Didn't mind Matt Good but it was so overplayed. I will fight you about BNL though. I dislike them as much as Great Big Sea. Should have added them to the top of the list. They fall into the fake sounding upbeat / quirky / fun pop folky rock of the 90's that I don't like.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:46 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Loverboy is from Calgary? I always thought they were from Vancouver or SW BC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loverboy

From Calgary 1979!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Thanks. You learn something new every day!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:55 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
You guys have been bashing Nickleback so much I'm now listening to them on Spotify and I just ordered Bluetooth Record Player and an LP. Apparently they have 13,280,279 listeners a month on Spotify.
Chad Kroeger thanks you. He can now afford to get a haircut so he doesn't look like someone dumped a bowl of ramen on his head

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:00 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

I still have a soft spot for the Matthew Good Band, or at least the albums before "band" was dropped from the name. Saw them in Calgary for the Beautiful Midnight tour at the Palace theatre downtown - was an awesome show in a smallish venue. Seen them multiple times since including one of Matt's stereotypical onstage freak-outs after which he refused to play an encore. Most recently they reformed to play Beautiful Midnight at the Danforth Theatre in Toronto which was a great show, nostalgia reasons aside.

RE: Nickelback - I don't really care for their music much but have dialed back my hate for them as of late. Maybe it's revisiting my love for nu-metal, but they aren't really *that* bad in the big scheme of things. I wouldn't play their music on my own time, but could see a concert actually being kinda fun. Plus I have heard from music industry types that in-person they're pretty self aware of what they do and and legitimately nice guys.

Ditto Avril, and not just because I own property in Napanee. Happened to listen to a nu-metal podcast review "Complicated" (put on a poll as a joke and won) recently and looking back she really did have to put up with a lot of shit. Plenty of articles including big pieces by Rolling Stone were pretty gross towards her compared to similar bands.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada