HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Hoping this start date sticks this time. That lot has been a depressing one for a while. I also hope to see the highrise office go up at McKinney and Maple at the same time.
Yes a lot of development going up around uptown. I know there is a fence around the Routh and Howell st development. They have started to demo some of those restaurants there.

There is already a tower crane for Maple and Wolf St. For the Maple Terrace mixed-use development.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 1:06 AM

The Quad (Routh and Howell st Development):

https://uptowndallas.net/assets/Quad-Main-1.jpg

Demo seems to have started, this is the link to the development: https://thequaduptown.com/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 1:59 AM

I love the smaller restaurant buildings and connecting greenspace incorporated into this development.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:20 PM

Sooooo, I got a new computer and can no longer access DallasMetropolis.com. Bummer. If anyone still has access to DM.com, please post stuff here too. lol

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 3:05 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Sooooo, I got a new computer and can no longer access DallasMetropolis.com. Bummer. If anyone still has access to DM.com, please post stuff here too. lol
Haha, yeah, I haven't been able to access in a long time. It's unfortunate because there was a lot of good stuff there. If anyone who lives up there wants to maintain the Dallas-Fort Worth stuff on SSP, that'd be awesome! There's certainly enough activity to have a main project page and a fairly active sub-forum, I think, with DT Dallas, DT Fort Worth, and several booming areas in the metro.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Haha, yeah, I haven't been able to access in a long time. It's unfortunate because there was a lot of good stuff there. If anyone who lives up there wants to maintain the Dallas-Fort Worth stuff on SSP, that'd be awesome! There's certainly enough activity to have a main project page and a fairly active sub-forum, I think, with DT Dallas, DT Fort Worth, and several booming areas in the metro.
I thought Troy popped in weeks ago, alluded to some personal challenges he was dealing with, but pleasing to get the site up and running ASAP ?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 8:59 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I thought Troy popped in weeks ago, alluded to some personal challenges he was dealing with, but pleasing to get the site up and running ASAP ?
I may have missed that. I was pretty busy for a while and wasn't regularly checking.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 6:17 PM

UPDATE:
Downtown/Deep Ellum/Uptown

Under Construction:

The Quad: 12-story Uptown office building at Howell and Routh

JW Marriott
Under construction

Matthews Southwest Apt Bldg @ old Dallas High School: 15-story apartment building.

Victory Commons One: 12-story office building in Victory Park.

Kairoi Residential Apt Bldg: 12-story apartment building at 2620 Maple Ave in Uptown.
Status: Under construction. Completion expected Sept. 2022.

Harwood No. 14: 25-story office building (11 floors of parking; 14 floors of office) in Harwood District (Uptown).

Swexan Hotel: 19-story hotel in Harwood District (Uptown).
Status: Under construction (since 2018!). Supposed to open some time this year, but there seems to be no information.

Residences at Maple Terrace: 22-story apartment building by Hines in Uptown

Announced/Proposed:

Field Street District: Proposed by Kaizen Development Partners et al. Announced Dec. 2019.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Nothing so far.

Newpark Dallas: JV between Hoque Global and Lanoha Real Estate. 20-acre development project on the South side of downtown. One Newpark announced October 2020, with "Construction on the project slated to begin sometime next year (2021)".
Status as of 1/31/2022: Nothing so far.

Hunt Realty's North End: 11-acre redevelopment. Announced Oct 2020.
Status as of 1/31/2022: It appears (and jkill34 has confirmed, see post below) they have stopped signing new leases at the North End apartments. When first announced they acknowledge it would be into 2023 before they "truly start anything". (But DMN's Steve Brown is still reporting/fantasizing that they are expected to start construction this year.

Hillwood Urban's Field Street Tower: 38-story office building. Hillwood has been leaking renderings for this "gateway" project for several years. The 38-story rendering is the latest.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Nothing

El Fenix site: Stonelake Capital Partners proposing a high-rise mixed-use project on two blocks of parking lots. Supposed to include office, residential, restaurants and green space. Announced mid-January 2022.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Architects hired.

Portman Holdings' east downtown: Three high-rises (one office and two residential) at Ross Ave and Routh. Announced late Dec. 2021.
Status as of 1/31/2022: "... could start work on the site as early as next year" (quote from December 2021, so i.e., 2022).
As of Steve Brown's June 2022 puff piece, "construction is scheduled to start in mid-2023"

Crescent Real Estate's Maple Ave Resi Tower: 30-story residential tower on Maple between the Stoneleigh and the Crescent. Announced April 2020. Announced again January 2022.

Hoque Global SoGood: 15-acre mid-rise mixed used development south of I-30. First phase was "announced as being apartments that would start construction later in 2021. Latest news: The Chloe at SoGood, 7-story apartment building, is currently in the permitting phase with a groundbreaking expected in 2022.

Granite Properties' 23Springs: 26-story office building proposed at Cedar Springs Rd and Maple Ave. Granite has been working on plans for this one since 2018.
Status: ?? Nothing happening? Edit April 4, 2022: set for June 2022 groundbreaking - major lease signed by Bank OZK

Trammel Crow McKinney Ave. Office Bldg: 27-story building proposed for site of Truluck's.
Status: Latest news. Hope to start construction this month (February 2022).

Alama Manhattan 25-story apartments Alamo Manhattan has said they are working on plans for a 25-story, 268-unit apartment tower at Fairmount and Carlisle Street.

KDC/Central Market 25-story boutique hotel and apartments (800 units) with Central Market on ground level planned for McKinney @ Lemmon in Uptown.
Status: Groundbreaking scheduled for April 2022 (per TDLR filing).

Last edited by Green Country; Jun 20, 2022 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 7:38 PM
World Traveler

^^ Great update!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 7:05 PM

Some new renders for the former "Midtown" now "International District" development. There's more in the article.

"See How the Dallas International District Is Taking Shape, from a ‘People Mover’ to a 20-Acre Park to Smart Cities Tech and More" - Dallas Innovates

Rendering from Omniplan

Rendering from NCTCOG

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:32 AM

^Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 4:52 PM

It'd be cool but I have a hard time believing any of this is going to happen.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 12:44 AM
World Traveler

I think it's pretty encouraging to see forward thinking, for sure. The people mover reminds me of a newer version of the one in Las Colinas. I'm just not sure if that's a reasonable idea when it may be better to actually run a unique DART line through the district...maybe split off from the Red Line and run it over to this area, the Galleria, and up DNT to the new Silver Line? Far fetched, sure, but would this people mover actually be used that much? How much is the Las Colinas one used?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:39 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

The Las Colinas people mover isn't well utilized, for a long time it was taken out of service or would run on weekends and the only thing that really saved it was the DART Orange Line getting a direct connection. People movers seem obsolete with autonomous vehicles around the corner, plus having to up and down a flight of stairs to travel a short distances doesn't seem convenience.

I don't have high hopes for this to be honest. It's gimmicky. There are more interesting features they could add.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 6:26 PM

^ I agree. The people mover part of this seems really dated...like something straight out of the 1970s. One of the variety of reasons this seems improbable to me.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 1:10 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

DFW Metropolis forum appears to be back!
https://dallasmetropolis.com/dfwu/vi....php?f=25&t=93

On a slightly more on topic note, something that's down and not coming back up anytime soon is the Las Colinas APT (People Mover). Website says its "closed indefinetely"

https://dcurd.org/apt-system/

Seems like a victim of COVID if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if all those buildings are mostly empty. The only time anyone used it was to go eat lunch.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think it's pretty encouraging to see forward thinking, for sure. The people mover reminds me of a newer version of the one in Las Colinas. I'm just not sure if that's a reasonable idea when it may be better to actually run a unique DART line through the district...maybe split off from the Red Line and run it over to this area, the Galleria, and up DNT to the new Silver Line? Far fetched, sure, but would this people mover actually be used that much? How much is the Las Colinas one used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
The Las Colinas people mover isn't well utilized, for a long time it was taken out of service or would run on weekends and the only thing that really saved it was the DART Orange Line getting a direct connection. People movers seem obsolete with autonomous vehicles around the corner, plus having to up and down a flight of stairs to travel a short distances doesn't seem convenience.

I don't have high hopes for this to be honest. It's gimmicky. There are more interesting features they could add.
If Walt Disney had ever gotten to build his absurd city it would have been an utter disaster for a myriad of reasons, but the one idea that stuck out as appealing to me was the layout of transportation. It would have had city-wide trains, but the train stations themselves would be served by hyperlocal people-mover systems meant to navigate individual neighborhoods. From what I remember all cars were going to be buried underground, meaning no buses to speak of for neighborhood navigation, so the people-movers would have served that function.
Seeing such a plan implemented in an existing city presents its own challenges, but I still believe it's an interesting idea. Except, that's not what we have here nor what we had in Las Colinas. This hypothetical people-mover would be a few miles from the nearest rail station. And even though the Las Colinas APT eventually got a connection to DART it was rather late in the game.

The APT being shut down indefinitely was a bummer for me. I found out only just recently as well. I last rode it shortly before COVID and adored it. Construction is still going on in Las Colinas so I hope it can return someday as the area continues to fill out.

Also, I don't believe that autonomous vehicles are the key to future. Automating routes and pick-ups can only cut traffic by so much; at the end of the day individual vehicles, automated or not, will always be the most inefficient way of using land for moving people.

Consider this: the DFW population is expected to grow to 10 million sometime in the 2030s. That's ~2.5 million more people than there are right now.
Let's say we get this autonomous thing going. If automating our fleet manages to take even a whopping million vehicles off our roads by then our roads would likely be experiencing the demand they are right now, and right now things already aren't great. Meaning we'd still be wasting money and space on finding ways to accommodate our vehicles. I think population growth will outpace automation's ability to reduce traffic, so things like people-movers should continue being explored and implemented in tandem with all other options in our toolbox.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCowboyCoffee View Post
If Walt Disney had ever gotten to build his absurd city it would have been an utter disaster for a myriad of reasons, but the one idea that stuck out as appealing to me was the layout of transportation. It would have had city-wide trains, but the train stations themselves would be served by hyperlocal people-mover systems meant to navigate individual neighborhoods. From what I remember all cars were going to be buried underground, meaning no buses to speak of for neighborhood navigation, so the people-movers would have served that function.
Seeing such a plan implemented in an existing city presents its own challenges, but I still believe it's an interesting idea. Except, that's not what we have here nor what we had in Las Colinas. This hypothetical people-mover would be a few miles from the nearest rail station. And even though the Las Colinas APT eventually got a connection to DART it was rather late in the game.

The APT being shut down indefinitely was a bummer for me. I found out only just recently as well. I last rode it shortly before COVID and adored it. Construction is still going on in Las Colinas so I hope it can return someday as the area continues to fill out.

Also, I don't believe that autonomous vehicles are the key to future. Automating routes and pick-ups can only cut traffic by so much; at the end of the day individual vehicles, automated or not, will always be the most inefficient way of using land for moving people.

Consider this: the DFW population is expected to grow to 10 million sometime in the 2030s. That's ~2.5 million more people than there are right now.
Let's say we get this autonomous thing going. If automating our fleet manages to take even a whopping million vehicles off our roads by then our roads would likely be experiencing the demand they are right now, and right now things already aren't great. Meaning we'd still be wasting money and space on finding ways to accommodate our vehicles. I think population growth will outpace automation's ability to reduce traffic, so things like people-movers should continue being explored and implemented in tandem with all other options in our toolbox.
That's crazy. I think it'll happen eventually but because growth rates have slowed down, I think the DFW area will hit 10 million by 2040. The CSA is at 8.2 million if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
That's crazy. I think it'll happen eventually but because growth rates have slowed down, I think the DFW area will hit 10 million by 2040. The CSA is at 8.2 million if I'm not mistaken.
Our CSA includes part of Oklahoma (Durant), which I feel is a pretty generous distance in these sorts of convos ahah, so I usually stick with metro data. You're right though, our CSA is at 8.2 while our metro is 7.6.

I believe the last yearly estimates for metro growth rates come from July 1st 2019-July 1st 2020 data, so, a quarter of that time was during the height of shut-downs. Those three months likely had a significant impact on moving trends.

The Census puts out new numbers in the spring so we'll get estimates for July 1st 2020-July 1st 2021 sometime soon. It will be interesting to see how the growth rate has changed in that time.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCowboyCoffee View Post
Our CSA includes part of Oklahoma (Durant), which I feel is a pretty generous distance in these sorts of convos ahah, so I usually stick with metro data. You're right though, our CSA is at 8.2 while our metro is 7.6.

I believe the last yearly estimates for metro growth rates come from July 1st 2019-July 1st 2020 data, so, a quarter of that time was during the height of shut-downs. Those three months likely had a significant impact on moving trends.

The Census puts out new numbers in the spring so we'll get estimates for July 1st 2020-July 1st 2021 sometime soon. It will be interesting to see how the growth rate has changed in that time.
And what do you know, the Census just put out those numbers today:

From the U.S. Census Bureau
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...-decrease.html

The growth numbers have certainly lowered across the board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations