HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:46 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Indeed. They mewl about how they want to grow and become more of a 21st. century-attuned world class metro area. Then do something already, gents.
When usable, even re-usable space in Manhattan reaches critical mass...inevitably, I hope it's not at a point in time when the PTB's essentially realize that they've shot themselves in the foot for lack of hindsight and proactivity.
NIMBYism is quintessentially old hat in our era.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 7:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Indeed. They mewl about how they want to grow and become more of a 21st. century-attuned world class metro area. Then do something already, gents.
When usable, even re-usable space in Manhattan reaches critical mass...inevitably, I hope it's not at a point in time when the PTB's essentially realize that they've shot themselves in the foot for lack of hindsight and proactivity.
NIMBYism is quintessentially old hat in our era.
When the NIMBY'ism is based on protecting old beautiful buildings from the wrecking ball, it is very much not old hat. That is the difference. You should never confuse the selfish whining of NIMBY's worrying about the value of their property or QOL to the true aficionados of civic beauty that try with all their heart to ward off greedy philistine developers from wanton destruction for the mere pursuit of profit.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 11:01 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Thank you for the clarification.

I guess a suburbanite like me can't relate to how to make that kind of distinction.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification.

I guess a suburbanite like me can't relate to how to make that kind of distinction.
Not In My Backyard is Not In My Back Yard. I'm sure everyone complaining about a proposed development has equal venom for the developers. And each feels his claims as valid as anyone else's. Not everything "old" is worth preserving just for the sake of, something soms of these so called preservationist can't or won't comprehend. If something is worth saving, it needs to be landmarked, a process where the merit of such a designation is proved. Walk the streets of Manhattan. And then walk them again and again, until you can appreciate not only the age, but the sheer volume of old buildings covering the islsnd. It will help you to put things into context the next time you see someone say a particular building needs to be saved. Let them prove to you exaxtly why out of thousands that particular structure needs to stand for the rest of time.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 7:51 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'll just offer this as an arguable case in favor of NIMBYism in my neck of the woods:

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lighthouse_Project

There can be gleaned from this several valid reasons why this dual-county regions tallest habitable structures are:

Again, from Wikipedia:

Nassau U. Medical Center, East Meadow- 299'
U. Stony Brook Hospital towers- 334'

Of course, the four LIPA Stacks in Northport at 600' apiece don't count for the sake of argument.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not In My Backyard is Not In My Back Yard. I'm sure everyone complaining about a proposed development has equal venom for the developers. And each feels his claims as valid as anyone else's. Not everything "old" is worth preserving just for the sake of, something soms of these so called preservationist can't or won't comprehend. If something is worth saving, it needs to be landmarked, a process where the merit of such a designation is proved. Walk the streets of Manhattan. And then walk them again and again, until you can appreciate not only the age, but the sheer volume of old buildings covering the islsnd. It will help you to put things into context the next time you see someone say a particular building needs to be saved. Let them prove to you exaxtly why out of thousands that particular structure needs to stand for the rest of time.
I agree... they need to get over it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:28 AM
BANNED

Chickering building on 57th street, razed along with its pretty neighbors for what will be some boring tower. Solow destroying more across the street. Need I say more? The true example of developer greed. No attempt to save a facade of a nice old building. Just because it ain't land-marked doesn't mean the city won't be uglier after its gone. Much of midtown norths character buildings from the pre-war have been slowly razed over time.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
I agree... they need to get over it.
The NIMBY's can do what they want, after all they pay taxes in the city and have a right to free speech.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 4, 2017 at 10:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:07 AM
BANNED

I like the Upper West Side art-deco towers, this will fit in.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 4, 2017 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:41 AM
BANNED

The whole argument about NIMBY's is poor. Some actually are good NIMBY's that will prevent the destruction of your city and preserve it, leading to more value in the future. I bet now you would have loved to have more NIMBY's during the destruction of various old buildings like Singer and Radio Row.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hmm. With that attitude the fabric will be slowly whittled away, and someday you won't have those "sheer volume" of old buildings left and that will be a shock.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 12:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

Don't forget about land marked blocks. There are a ton of land marked buildings. The city will not lose them all or even coming close to it. BTW, there are 1000's of those pre-war and vintage parcels available.

Its going to be a trade off. We won't be able to save everything, but sweet jesus, it won't spell the end of the historical fabric. Let be a little real here. It sounds more like sensationalism then anything. We have for the last couple of years, the largest boom since the 20's and 50's, and yet, NY still has its character. Even if we were adding 300k per year, we will not see the historical raping of parcels that you proclaim.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Excavation Begins For 200 Amsterdam Avenue, Soon To Become The Upper West Side’s Tallest Tower

Quote:
SJP Properties is the site’s developer, having acquired the property for $275 million. Elkus Manfredi is the design architect, while CetraRuddy is doing the project’s interiors.

The latest photos come from Chused, and show that the site’s former synagogue is now completely dismantled. Local NIMBYs filed an audit with the Department of Buildings in an attempt to reduce the size of the new project, however their objections were found to be nonsensical, which is why the building is again moving forward.

While the developers may have to deal with an appeal, momentum appears to be on SJP Properties’ side (as well as the city’s zoning code). The tower will eventually stand 55 floors to its rooftop, with 283,000 square feet of residential space within, to be divided amongst 112 condominiums.
====================
NYY

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: chused

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: chused

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM. Reason: image didn't work

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:51 AM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...tural-prayers/

New UWS tower won’t answer any architectural prayers
SJP’s 200 Amsterdam — which sits on a former synagogue site — won’t add much design distinction to the area, but it will fit in just fine

By James Gardner
December 01, 2017

Quote:
The latest project to catch the ire of Upper West Side residents is SJP Properties and Mitsui Fudosan’s 51-story condo tower set to rise at 200 Amsterdam Avenue and 69th Street, where the Lincoln Square Synagogue once stood. The 112-unit condo building, for which excavation recently started, will top out at 668 feet. Until late last month, when Extell Development announced that it would be tripling the height of its proposed tower on West 66th Street, 200 Amsterdam was slated to be the tallest tower on the Upper West Side.

.....While opponents argue that the height and size of the new tower will alter the neighborhood, their claim is hardly new. And it could be said that the Upper West Side lost much of its prewar charm long ago — indeed, as far back as the mid-1950s, when the New York Coliseum, a Robert Moses-era project, was completed. (That building, of course, was demolished in 2000 to make way for the infinitely better Time Warner Center).

.....although opponents seem to have focused on 200 Amsterdam’s height, the tower won’t exceed the Trump International on Central Park West by much.
Judging from the renderings, 200 Amsterdam will not do much to add any level of architectural sophistication to the Upper West Side skyline, but it’s also not likely to fall far beneath the level of quality in the rest of the city — certainly of the Upper West Side — over the past few years.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:23 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Congratulations, UWS!

You are now the proud (whether you like it or not ) parents of a brand new baby Steinway!

Seriously though, I don't know what the writer of that piece was vaping; but this tower is gorgeous. Choice architecture for the area.

This and Snøhetta's beauty close by will hopefully set an upward trend.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM. Reason: This keyboard sucks.....;)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:43 PM

Indeed...lovely building.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:08 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Congratulations, UWS!

You are now the proud (whether you like it or not ) parents of a brand new baby Steinway!

Seriously though, I don't know what the writer of that piece was vaping; but this tower is gorgeous. Choice architecture for the area.

This and Snøhetta's beauty close by will hopefully set an upward trend.
It's nothing new design-wise, but it is an elegant building.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:54 PM

I see a little PoMo, lots of FoMo, and some YES homo. What's not to like?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive